• Chargers

Votes: 51 98.1%
  • Giants

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Enforcerfin33

Los Lonely Boys the Return....
Reaction score
A couple years back when the Chargers drafted Eli Manning, and he all but refused to play for them they traded him to NY for the rights to Phillip Rivers, and 2 future picks, those 2 picks turned out to be Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding. Now to me this is a no brainer, talent wise. But, Eli in the long run might be the better qb, but the Chargers got a potential future HOF in Merriman, and a great kicker, plus an above average QB.

It really is a no-brainer.

Three Pro Bowlers vs. a guy who has shown flashes, but is one of the league's most inconsistent QB's. Lights Out, without that suspension, is probably taking JT's defensive MVP award this year. He'll grab one of his own sooner or later. Phillip Rivers in his first full year as a starter, looked twice as good as Eli Manning in his 2.5 year. I mean, really, statistically.....Manning has been pretty average so far. Rivers had a SPECTACULAR year, Merriman is one of the best LB's in football (maybe THE best), and Kaeding is one of the best kickers. Kaeding is a career 86% kicker and only 24-years old.

Three Pro Bowlers vs. a guy who has shown flashes, but is one of the league's most inconsistent QB's. Lights Out, without that suspension, is probably taking JT's defensive MVP award this year. He'll grab one of his own sooner or later. Phillip Rivers in his first full year as a starter, looked twice as good as Eli Manning in his 2.5 year. I mean, really, statistically.....Manning has been pretty average so far. Rivers had a SPECTACULAR year, Merriman is one of the best LB's in football (maybe THE best), and Kaeding is one of the best kickers. Kaeding is a career 86% kicker and only 24-years old.

Which means he can play for another 70 or so years!

Seriously though the Chargers have gotten the better end of the deal, though I guess if Eli wins a Superbowl before San Diego you can argue the opposite.

The only reason Rivers looks good this season is because its mandatory that all rookies be fed supplements laced with Roids. In essence Rivers was on the Merriman eating plan. Juice up Eli and I'm sure you'll get the same results. :wink:

The Chargers got the better end of the deal hands down after seeing River play this season after being on the pine his first 2 seasons learning the offense, then you add in Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding of course Merriman had the trouble with the league for the use of a band subsyance. I would still have to think that the Chargers came out on top on this one.

Rivers > Eli

Now and in the long run. Chargers run away with this trade.

I bet Eli after looking back wishes he would have just kept his mouth closed and went to the Chargers, rather then the big apple

Like we really need a poll for this question. :lol:

KiNG said:

That's about right. Since I liked Rivers best of all the 2004 QBs, I couldn't believe the Chargers got him plus two draft choices, including another 1st rounder! This trade will haunt the Giants for years to come just like the Herschel Walker trade haunted the Vikes! IMO, the Giants were blinded by Eli's "pedigree" and his "polish" (compliments of Daddy and Big Bro Peyton), and confused it with superior talent.

As for E Manning, he hit a plateau about the middle of 2005, and since has shown flashes of brilliance, but more often than not is mediocre at best. I suspect that at least part of that is that Eli hasn't worked as hard as he could to get better. Another big part of that is that the other NFL teams now have tape on him and have figured out how to defense him. I haven't watched him enough to figure out if he has mechanics problems like holding the ball too long or keying on a receiver, but he hasn't seemed to figure out that trying to force a ball into double coverage isn't a good idea.

PewterKrew said:
I bet Eli after looking back wishes he would have just kept his mouth closed and went to the Chargers, rather then the big apple

It's a perfect case of "be careful what you wish for because you just might get it!!!" Eli wanted the Giants and the Big Apple, and he got them! :sidelol:

The Chargers and its not even close. Like KiNG said, Merriman may just be the best LB in football. In fact If it were a striaght up pick between Merriman and Eli, I bet it would be pretty damn close. Rivers in his first year of starting has been very good and will only get better. The Giants are going to regret this for a long long time.

Back
Top Bottom