Who should go to the BCS Title game | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who should go to the BCS Title game

HysterikiLL said:
So you pretty much created a system whereby the only remaining contender was UF? :chuckle:

In all seriousness, IMO, if UF beats Ark, they deserve to be in the Nat'l championship. I just wouldn't enjoy the big heads trying to fit through the doors of this place. :rolleyes:

As if the doors haven't already been stretched by others. :lol:

Cuban Dave 9 said:
5) Be in a BCS conference :tongue:

Still, they may go undefeated unlike all the other teams. They should get a shot to prove thier worth if they win out.

Stitches said:
Still, they may go undefeated unlike all the other teams. They should get a shot to prove thier worth if they win out.

Nope. If we let a team like Boise State in all that does is encourages teams to play weak games JUST TO BE UNDEFEATED, rather than proving their worth. If we didn't have a standard for schedules than teams would simply schedule Duke, Temple, D-1AA teams, etc....

Sure an undefeated season looks great on paper, BUT it is not saying much in volume.

nyjunc said:
I think it's up to 4 teams:

-USC if they win out
-UF if they win out and USC loses close to ND
-ND if they blow out USC
-Mich if USC loses close and UF loses.
Junc, you and I have very rarely agreed on just about anything... However, I think you probably hit the nail on the head here.

About CDave's idea... Truthfully you do have to eliminate teams by some method. You can make points for and against all one loss teams. The only point I see a problem with is the winning a conference bc of what FinKat and OsuD mentioned...

I think losing at home and losing to an unranked team should DEFINITELY be two of the criteria. I think if you are a NC team you would not do either. That would leave us with ND, Michigan and UF. Well Michigan killed ND, so you would have to have them over ND. So JUST UM and UF. IF UF wins out then they should get in bc they would have beaten 3 (current) top 25 teams. Where UM would have only beaten 2. Both would have lost to one top 5 team on the road...

Sounds pretty fair.

This of course, is quite premature bc UF still has two tough games left. ND and USC each play each other... so still a LOT can happen.

OSUDauby said:
Nope. If we let a team like Boise State in all that does is encourages teams to play weak games JUST TO BE UNDEFEATED, rather than proving their worth. If we didn't have a standard for schedules than teams would simply schedule Duke, Temple, D-1AA teams, etc....

Sure an undefeated season looks great on paper, BUT it is not saying much in volume.

You argument for many teams has been win and your in, in regards to BCS controversy. Boise State has done nothing but win. Yea, they don't play in the strongest conference, but that doesn't mean that they can't be one of the best teams in the country, it just means they aren't as tested. I mean Boise State hasn't played any D-1AA teams, and in fact Boise State beat Oregon State earlier this season 42-14 on national television. What did USC do against Oregon State? Yea, they lost. Yet, USC is the team many want to see in the National Championship. That seems extremely unfair to me. Just as you said, win and your in. That's all Boise keeps doing.

Conferences like the WAC wouldn't be so weak if they weren't discluded from everything. You'd probably see a lot more parody actually.

Stitches said:
You argument for many teams has been win and your in, in regards to BCS controversy. Boise State has done nothing but win. Yea, they don't play in the strongest conference, but that doesn't mean that they can't be one of the best teams in the country, it just means they aren't as tested. I mean Boise State hasn't played any D-1AA teams, and in fact Boise State beat Oregon State earlier this season 42-14 on national television. What did USC do against Oregon State? Yea, they lost. Yet, USC is the team many want to see in the National Championship. That seems extremely unfair to me. Just as you said, win and your in. That's all Boise keeps doing.

Conferences like the WAC wouldn't be so weak if they weren't discluded from everything. You'd probably see a lot more parody actually.

You are right, win your games and you are in. And my arguement has always been concerning BCS eligable teams...Florida, Michigan, Auburn, LSU, Wisconsin, etc.

Never have I said anything that would suggest that Boise State should just win out and get to go! In fact, earlier I said that Boise State is MORE deserving that Rutgers, WVU, and Louisville because of the reputation they have built up over the past 5-6 seasons. The have won more and lost less than any team in the Big East in the past 5-6 seasons, BUT should we reward BSU with going undefeated with a schedule ranked something near 100 our of 118?!?! Hell no. They should join the Pac 10 in that case.

OSUDauby said:
You are right, win your games and you are in. And my arguement has always been concerning BCS eligable teams...Florida, Michigan, Auburn, LSU, Wisconsin, etc.

Never have I said anything that would suggest that Boise State should just win out and get to go! In fact, earlier I said that Boise State is MORE deserving that Rutgers, WVU, and Louisville because of the reputation they have built up over the past 5-6 seasons. The have won more and lost less than any team in the Big East in the past 5-6 seasons, BUT should we reward BSU with going undefeated with a schedule ranked something near 100 our of 118?!?! Hell no. They should join the Pac 10 in that case.

Thier schedule wouldn't be ranked so low had they lost to the teams they played. :wink:

Also, I would love if the Pac-10 invited them in, but I don't see that happening unless they want to start a championship game.

Edit: And my bad for taking your "win and your in" argument out of context. Didn't know you were only applying it to BCS eligible schools(schools from BCS conferences I mean).

OSUDauby said:

Bite me.

UF Fin Kat said:
a team's success in recent history should have no affect on anything...
You wouldn't think so....HOWEVER...it was discussed by Mark May, Herbie and others that indeed reputation is quite the unequatiable factor...much like the loss of S.O.S and quality wins that teams are still "measured" by. So....take it for what it's worth, I'll buy it.

Bumpus said:

Hahaha....I guess the fall back to earth still hurts! Man...where went all that Big East domination talk?!?!:lol:
And if you want to go back and check my predictions, I said that Lousville would beat WVU and lose to Rutgers. I also said Rutgers would lose 2 games this season and maybe the bowl game. For your sake and the sake of WVU, you'd better hope that I'm right coming here soon!

But, enjoy what ever non-BCS bowl WVU ends up in. I hear Detroit is B-E-A-utiful this time of year....:lol:

OSUDauby said:
You wouldn't think so....HOWEVER...it was discussed by Mark May, Herbie and others that indeed reputation is quite the unequatiable factor...much like the loss of S.O.S and quality wins. So....take it for what it's worth, I'll buy it.

I buy that too, I don't think it should count for anything but I think its VERY obvious it does in certain cases.

i heard an interesting comment from Chris Landry yesterday....he was wondering how many voters voted USC 2nd and Michigan 3rd because they just didn't want to see a rematch. so...let's say UF wins out and USC loses a game....would the voters vote UF over Michigan just because they think UF is better, or because they just don't want to see a rematch? it's interesting....

Motion said:
I buy that too, I don't think it should count for anything but I think its VERY obvious it does in certain cases.

*cough*Like in Boise State's case.*cough*

Back
Top Bottom