who's the worst franchise in history? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

who's the worst franchise in history?

dolphingirl_vic said:
Its the Bills silly!! The Bills!!!
4 in a row with such talent and nothing to show for it??
Hands down its the Billy Buffs

-- Vic
Are you serious?

Yeah, going to 4 straight Super Bowls is the hallmark of a crappy franchise.

16wins4fins said:
how about another big city team with only a few god years and one superbowl da bears with out that sb win where would they b in the same boat as the cards and lions and saints even ****tycinccy went to more dances then the bears lions saints and card combined
Yeah, the Bears suck. ONLY 8 NFL Championships.

If you do not consider the success of the Tennessee Titans I say the old Houston Oiler franchise has to get at least honorable mention. They were maybe the most talented team in the afc in the early 90's but they have nothing to show for it. Remember they are the team that gave away a 35-3 lead to the Bills and kinda screwed the Dolphins out of a chance to go to the super bowl and at least give the cowboys a descent game. Of course I am not basing this on percentages just the missed oppotunities of the late 70's, the ineptness of the early/mid 80's, and the under achieving of the early 90's. My all time choice has still got to be the cardinals they don't even try. In non NFL I say the old Florida Bobcats in arena ball, the L.A. Clippers, and the Montreal Expos.

Well, Houston won the first two AFL championships. They lost in the 1962 and 1967 AFL championship games.

They lost the 1978 and 1979 AFC Championship games to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

So, in 37 seasons as the Houston Oilers, they played in 6 conference championship games, winning 2 of them. They also had some horrible seasons in there. Some 1, 2, 3, 4 win seasons. But, they have had their share of success. Definitely not one of the worst ever.

Actually, in 37 seasons, they made the playoffs 15 times, winning 9 games. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/otiindex.htm

By comparison, the Dolphins have existed for 38 seasons, making the playoffs 21 times, and won 20 games. (6 of the 20 wins came in their 2 Super Bowl years.)

I'd have to say the Jets because they are the only team in the NFL to have passed on Dan Marino, Jerry Rice, and Emmitt Smith and drafted a different player in the first round at their position.

In other words, they had identified the need for a QB, RB, and WR when one of the greatest players of all time at that position was available and they selected the wrong player. ALL THREE TIMES.

Can you imagine a team with Marino, Smith, and Rice? Instead Jets fans got to watch Ken O'Brien, Blair Thomas, and Al Toon....... :roflmao:

No wonder Jets fans hate the draft.

-Marino fell b/c of drug rumpors- alot of teams passed on him b.c of that.

-Toon was on his way to a HOF career before his injuries so it's hard to fault them for that pick. He wasn't Jerry Rice but was a great WR.

-EVERYONE had Blair Thomas rated highly even Jimmy Johnson said he would have taken Blair over Emmitt had he been available.

nyjunc said:
-Marino fell b/c of drug rumpors- alot of teams passed on him b.c of that.

-Toon was on his way to a HOF career before his injuries so it's hard to fault them for that pick. He wasn't Jerry Rice but was a great WR.

-EVERYONE had Blair Thomas rated highly even Jimmy Johnson said he would have taken Blair over Emmitt had he been available.

These are not HOF numbers:

Season Team(s) Games Receiving Rushing Fumbles Total
1985 NYJ 15 46 662 14.4 3 1 5 5.0 0 0 18
1986 NYJ 16 85 1,176 13.8 8 2 -3 -1.5 0 3 48
1987 NYJ 12 68 976 14.4 5 0 0 0.0 0 0 30
1988 NYJ 15 93 1,067 11.5 5 1 5 5.0 0 2 30
1989 NYJ 11 63 693 11.0 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 12
1990 NYJ 14 57 757 13.3 6 0 0 0.0 0 0 36
1991 NYJ 15 74 963 13.0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0
1992 NYJ 9 31 311 10.0 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 12
Career 107 517 6,605 12.8 31 4 7 1.8 0 5 186

Jerry Rice had more TDs before the end of his third year than Al Toon had in his whole career.

Doesn't change the fact that Marino, Smith, and Rice looks alot better than O'Brien, Thomas, and Toon

Rec #s were different back then, he led the league w/ 93 in '88 and was 2nd in '87 and 3rd in '86. He suffered alot of concussions in the late 80s and was never really the same player, had he stayed healthy he was on his way to the Hall. He was one of the best WRs in the NFL and probably the best in the AFC for a # of years.

Speaking as a former St. Louis Cardinals Die-hard (yikes. did I just say that?)

The Cardinals are without a doubt the armpit of the NFL. Hands down. Hell the Cardinals make the Saints look championship caliber.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
These are not HOF numbers:
It may not have worked out for them, but the smart choice at the time was to take the player they took in each case.

Yeah, Rice set all kinds of records in college, but that was at a small Division I-AA school. There have been plenty of players from small colleges who had high expectations thrown upon them, that failed in the NFL. That's a big jump. If Rice had done what he did, at a big school like Wisconsin (Toon's school), he would have been a much higher pick.

In fact, take a look at the 1985 first round, of the 15 players taken before rice, only the Bills who took Bruce Smith #1 don't regret passing on Rice.

Whether you needed a receiver or not, you would draft Jerry Rice that year if you knew what he would become.

My point is, the Jets were not the only team to pass on him.

In fact, your mentioning of the failed Ken O'Brien pick only illustrates my point. O'Brien was a highly-regarded college player at a small school (Cal-Davis). O'Brien had a mediocre career. You just don't know what you are getting from a small school guy. You don't even know what you are getting from a big school guy.

The draft is a crapshoot. Go ahead and tell me which of the 2004 first round picks will be stars and which will be busts. I bet you get at least 50% of your guesses wrong.

Back
Top Bottom