Why can't teams beat the Patriots

Discussion in 'Beasts of the AFC East' started by finmann, Jan 23, 2017.

1. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

After watching Steelers/Patriots game I was so pissed not only that the Steelers lost but that they got there a$$ handed to them by a team that seems to just win by consistently changing there offence scheme every season. I remember back in 2013, the Patriots were considered a power running team with Legarrette Blount. A few years later, they used the spread offence with Wes Welker and Randy Moss to throw the ball down field. Switch to current events......the patriots are now considered a short pass team(dink & dunk) and going to the Super Bowl. What pisses me off is that we know what they are going to do on Offence, other teams know, every opposing coach knows, the commentators know, even the damn refs know and you are telling me that they can't be stopped. What the hell man....

2. MercMan

MercMan Needs more cowbell Finheaven VIP Donator

Coaching and good use of personnel. They don't neccessarily have great drafts, they just know how best to utilize the talent they have.

3. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

their time will be up shortly...

4. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

People have been saying that for years. Can't win without Brady, they did. I guess it's a matter of time though, no team can maintain that dominance forever. It is quite a run though, but Falcons match up well.

5. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Hall of Fame Coach and QB tandem. The fact that they don't lose a beat on offense even with Gronkowski out just shows how good they are.

Brady's regular season numbers since he was hurt in Week 1 of the 2008 season: 259 TDs, 66 INTs. His worse QBR was 87.3. His lowest amount of yards (aside from this year when he played 12 games) was 3,900 in 2010. That year he had 36 TDs and 4 INTs.

Add the fact that NE has the best scoring defense in the NFL somehow and it's no surprise these assholes are in the SB again.

6. FlaFinest954

FlaFinest954 A True Fan

Steelers and most other teams (Us too) play zone coverage defense. Brady/Belichick will eat that alive all day long. Only shot you have is man coverage with excellent CB's/DB's

7. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Sons can tell you all about their schemes. its their schemes and they are constantly changing depending upon the opponent. that is the #1 reason

8. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Exactly, glad somebody finally exposed the over rated Steelers defense, even if it had to be the Cheatriots.

9. Dthrill_08

Dthrill_08 A True Fan

I think they play and coach like I play Madden lol. I trade old players with high ratings, and I use playbooks that best suit my players. It's a Madden game lol.

10. Jeep

Jeep Premium Member Donator

Coaching is excellent and Brady is very comfortable in the pocket

11. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

To beat the current team you've got to have fast players who can tackle quickly. New England seems to be able to consistently turn those little three yard pass plays into 8, 12, 15 yard gains. Also, you need man-to-man with your corners. Brady simply eats zone alive. Pressuring Brady is not just part of the equation as he gets rid of the ball so quickly on those short passes.

Got to give New England credit for changing things up. Also, Brady is insanely accurate and his ball placement may be the best in the NFL (Brees is right up there in that regard). It gives his receivers a chance to catch the ball in stride and make plays.

Tough team to beat.

12. Dthrill_08

Dthrill_08 A True Fan

Yes!!! I was screaming every time the Steelers did a 3rd down zone... like wtf man, play press, bump them. That is why the Texans did well early one.

13. SoCal Finatic

SoCal Finatic FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

They've been dink and dunk for years now. The new league passing rules allow this. Start hammering the Edelmans or Amendolas over the middle (while collecting fines) and it would stop. My question is, why can't other teams replicate what they do?

14. Smith21

Smith21 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

You have a coach that can win 10 games without Brady. You throw in a top 3 qb every year and all time who by the way is playing on a discounted contract. Now you havr a recipe for going 4-3 in superbowls! Lets go Falcons

15. TannDaMan17

It's also their D, that's the real reason I think NE and ATL are in the Superbowl this year. Defensive minded head coaches, that know how to get the most out of their players. Brady is obviously great too, but it's the combo of Brady and that D that make them so unstoppable. Most D coordinators like ours and Pittsburgh's simply aren't as gifted as Belichick, and that's the main reason they win so much imo.

16. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

The Pats adjust better than any team. That being said, it still boggles my mind how often teams continue to play zone against the Pats. The Pats are built to destroy the zone, and yet every team insists on playing that. The teams that beat the Pats play physical on the outside and rush the passer well

17. TannDaMan17

Pittsburgh's corners aren't that good, it's easy to say just run man, but guys like Edelman and Hogan are tough match-ups for them one on one. You really have to disguise your coverage's and mix it up, clearly Pittsburg's defense isn't advanced enough to do that yet. I have a feeling ATL will challenge Brady more than Pittsburgh ever did, simply due to better defensive coaching. Pittsburgh is not a well coached team, ATL is.

18. DolFan31

DolFan31 aka FinSane

It also helps being at home and having all the calls go your way.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

19. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I'll say it has everything to do with Belichick and it flows down from that.

Some say Brady and it goes far beyond that. There are far too many elements that go into the game for the average fan to wrap there head around so people need simple answers like, "QB needs x # of rings to be considered 'great'".

Belichick was going to win with or without Brady. He would have found qualities that he values in a QB that are not unique to just Brady such as leadership, intelligence, etc. Don't forget who coaches Brady and taught him everything he knows at the NFL level from professionalism to the X's&O's. Belichick simply cultivated them in Brady and brought out the best in him.

This will be Belichick's 10th SB (7 HC, 3 DC). Belichick is a master at working with his personnel, and is head & shoulders above his fellow colleagues and beyond his time in terms of strategy and scheme.

20. Sons Of Shula

I keep seeing that teams fail b/c they defend the Patriots offense with zone. That is false.

In short, their offense is designed to beat you either way. All that is required of them is to ID the defensive coverage either thru shifts, motions, or both and they excel in doing so. They have built in man and zone beaters, usually one on each side, for each playcall or within their checks and/or audibles.

Basic example would be a zone beater in a Levels concept coupled with a vertical fieldside (NE calls it "Ghost"), and a man beater with double slants -1 fat, 1 skinny to the boundary (NE calls it "Tosser"). So no matter what the defense may try and do, they have an immediate answer.

21. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

So how do you beat them??

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

So how do you beat them??

22. Sons Of Shula

:idk: Belichick is the greatest coach ever for a reason.

[​IMG]

23. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

I certainly don't subscribe to the Patriots always win because they cheat party line around here. They have an all-time great QB, the best coach of all-time, and plenty of talent on that team once they're coached up. It also helps that they get 5 or 6 wins in the division every year and usually only have to win one home game to get to the AFC championship.

That said, they're hardly invincible. They've been to 6 straight conference championships, yet they've only won half of them in that time. And they've lost in two out of their last three Super Bowl appearances as well. So it does happen.

24. Sons Of Shula

Well, yes, it does happen that they don't win the SB EVERY year. So you have a . . . valid point?

16 straight winning season, 7 straight 12 win seasons, 6 straight conference games, 7 SB appearances, and 4 championships say there are pretty much invincible as it gets in this day and age of the NFL designed for parity.

25. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Miami needs to continue to create an offense that changes its gameplan from opponent to opponent. Run heavy and pass heavy just depending on the game. That's the NE way which Gase was talking about replicating. The defense doesn't seem as versatile however. You have to counter NEs counter

26. Sons Of Shula

I think Gase is a successful gameplanner and playcaller in those aspects. Where I see our failure is on the defensive side of the ball where we remain static regardless of opponent. I expect that to continue until we find a competent defensive coordinator that isn't pigeon-holed to a specific scheme and philosophy. .

27. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

an hof qb and hof hc is a tough combo

28. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

True, but one thing you never see is them getting blown away especially in an important game. They play excellent fundamentals and they don't make many mistakes. Not to mention they are opportunists

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

It's so important to disguise what you are doing. Bill Arnsparger's defenses exceled at this

29. Sons Of Shula

Exactly. I touched briefly on the importance of this in a previous post.

30. Ren

Ren Rookie

1) a mastermind coach
    2) great personnel management
    3) supremacy in the trenches
    4) a wine and a nod from the league
    5) an above average and intellectual QB that was make for their system

31. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

This is an easy question. It's because they're cheating. :)

32. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Why not set the trend instead of constantly adjusting to it? I know Adam Gase is a bright coach and the main reason I think he was hired was to match wits with Bill Bellichick who is known for his defensive brilliance.

Miami has rarely been a trend setter. I think back to 2008 when the team unleashed the wildcat. True it wasn't a long-term success, but it did give the team a short-term window and helped the Dolphins win a division title. On the way, the team had a blow out win against New England. One of the few times Beilichick's team wasn't prepared. How could he be? He'd not seen that before.

Trend setting doesn't need to be dramatic like the wildcat, but having something a little different here and there isn't a bad thing. What is the next trend? How can Miami capitalize on something that could lift the team to another level? Not sure the answer there.

I will say this. The draft is loaded with safety talent this year. If the Dolphins can find a hybrid safety that could help the team better match-up with New England's passing game. Just a thought.

33. Tailgater

Tailgater Starter

All true, plus their overall coaching staff and the work they put in.

Check out this article: So you want to work for Bill Belichick?

http://www.masslive.com/patriots/index.ssf/2016/12/bill_belichick_patriots_coachi.html

34. Tailgater

Tailgater Starter

35. Sons Of Shula

Thanks. Great read on Belichick's hiring process. The endless hours of work and attention to detail needed for an entry level position is intense. Incredible how the coaches described that the absurd level of detail required for film breakdown resulted in maybe 5 plays per hour. Love it.