Why can't teams beat the Patriots | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why can't teams beat the Patriots

The Pats adjust better than any team. That being said, it still boggles my mind how often teams continue to play zone against the Pats. The Pats are built to destroy the zone, and yet every team insists on playing that. The teams that beat the Pats play physical on the outside and rush the passer well

The Pats adjust better than any team. That being said, it still boggles my mind how often teams continue to play zone against the Pats. The Pats are built to destroy the zone, and yet every team insists on playing that. The teams that beat the Pats play physical on the outside and rush the passer well

Pittsburgh's corners aren't that good, it's easy to say just run man, but guys like Edelman and Hogan are tough match-ups for them one on one. You really have to disguise your coverage's and mix it up, clearly Pittsburg's defense isn't advanced enough to do that yet. I have a feeling ATL will challenge Brady more than Pittsburgh ever did, simply due to better defensive coaching. Pittsburgh is not a well coached team, ATL is.

It also helps being at home and having all the calls go your way.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'll say it has everything to do with Belichick and it flows down from that.

Some say Brady and it goes far beyond that. There are far too many elements that go into the game for the average fan to wrap there head around so people need simple answers like, "QB needs x # of rings to be considered 'great'".

Belichick was going to win with or without Brady. He would have found qualities that he values in a QB that are not unique to just Brady such as leadership, intelligence, etc. Don't forget who coaches Brady and taught him everything he knows at the NFL level from professionalism to the X's&O's. Belichick simply cultivated them in Brady and brought out the best in him.

This will be Belichick's 10th SB (7 HC, 3 DC). Belichick is a master at working with his personnel, and is head & shoulders above his fellow colleagues and beyond his time in terms of strategy and scheme.

I keep seeing that teams fail b/c they defend the Patriots offense with zone. That is false.

In short, their offense is designed to beat you either way. All that is required of them is to ID the defensive coverage either thru shifts, motions, or both and they excel in doing so. They have built in man and zone beaters, usually one on each side, for each playcall or within their checks and/or audibles.

Basic example would be a zone beater in a Levels concept coupled with a vertical fieldside (NE calls it "Ghost"), and a man beater with double slants -1 fat, 1 skinny to the boundary (NE calls it "Tosser"). So no matter what the defense may try and do, they have an immediate answer.

I keep seeing that teams fail b/c they defend the Patriots offense with zone. That is false.

In short, their offense is designed to beat you either way. All that is required of them is to ID the defensive coverage either thru shifts, motions, or both and they excel in doing so. They have built in man and zone beaters, usually one on each side, for each playcall or within their checks and/or audibles.

Basic example would be a zone beater in a Levels concept coupled with a vertical fieldside (NE calls it "Ghost"), and a man beater with double slants -1 fat, 1 skinny to the boundary (NE calls it "Tosser"). So no matter what the defense may try and do, they have an immediate answer.

So how do you beat them??

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

:idk: Belichick is the greatest coach ever for a reason.

belichick.jpg

I certainly don't subscribe to the Patriots always win because they cheat party line around here. They have an all-time great QB, the best coach of all-time, and plenty of talent on that team once they're coached up. It also helps that they get 5 or 6 wins in the division every year and usually only have to win one home game to get to the AFC championship.

That said, they're hardly invincible. They've been to 6 straight conference championships, yet they've only won half of them in that time. And they've lost in two out of their last three Super Bowl appearances as well. So it does happen.

I certainly don't subscribe to the Patriots always win because they cheat party line around here. They have an all-time great QB, the best coach of all-time, and plenty of talent on that team once they're coached up. It also helps that they get 5 or 6 wins in the division every year and usually only have to win one home game to get to the AFC championship.

That said, they're hardly invincible. They've been to 6 straight conference championships, yet they've only won half of them in that time. And they've lost in two out of their last three Super Bowl appearances as well. So it does happen.

Well, yes, it does happen that they don't win the SB EVERY year. So you have a . . . valid point?

16 straight winning season, 7 straight 12 win seasons, 6 straight conference games, 7 SB appearances, and 4 championships say there are pretty much invincible as it gets in this day and age of the NFL designed for parity.

Miami needs to continue to create an offense that changes its gameplan from opponent to opponent. Run heavy and pass heavy just depending on the game. That's the NE way which Gase was talking about replicating. The defense doesn't seem as versatile however. You have to counter NEs counter

Miami needs to continue to create an offense that changes its gameplan from opponent to opponent. Run heavy and pass heavy just depending on the game. That's the NE way which Gase was talking about replicating. The defense doesn't seem as versatile however. You have to counter NEs counter

I think Gase is a successful gameplanner and playcaller in those aspects. Where I see our failure is on the defensive side of the ball where we remain static regardless of opponent. I expect that to continue until we find a competent defensive coordinator that isn't pigeon-holed to a specific scheme and philosophy. .

an hof qb and hof hc is a tough combo

True, but one thing you never see is them getting blown away especially in an important game. They play excellent fundamentals and they don't make many mistakes. Not to mention they are opportunists

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

I think Gase is a successful gameplanner and playcaller in those aspects. Where I see our failure is on the defensive side of the ball where we remain static regardless of opponent. I expect that to continue until we find a competent defensive coordinator that isn't pigeon-holed to a specific scheme and philosophy. .

It's so important to disguise what you are doing. Bill Arnsparger's defenses exceled at this

It's so important to disguise what you are doing. Bill Arnsparger's defenses excelled at this

Exactly. I touched briefly on the importance of this in a previous post.

. . . Speaking of giving various looks to the opposition, that must hold true for the defense as well to be successful. Defensive research reports estimate roughly 60-65% of their game is played pre-snap through alignment, disguise, etc.

Don Brown, defensive coordinator of Michigan, recently noted this at 66% at this years AFCA (American Football Coaches Assoc) convention.

1) a mastermind coach
2) great personnel management
3) supremacy in the trenches
4) a wine and a nod from the league
5) an above average and intellectual QB that was make for their system

Back
Top Bottom