Why didnt we just concentrate on fixing 2013 problems? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why didnt we just concentrate on fixing 2013 problems?

Let me just add, I don't hate everything Hickey has done. I like, Smith, Moreno & Delmas, understand the signing of Albert and believe he was spot on with the resignings of Grimes and Starks, just hate the signing if Finnegan and the loss of Clemons & Carroll.

You sound 'irked' and I have no issue with you disagreeing, but going into draft are you genuinely happy with how Hickey handled the FA period? In my mind you can't go into draft needing day 1 starters. At present we absolutely have to get a RT and feel we should have addressed that before we spent money on a CB, regardless whether I like him or not

I would agree that we shouldn't be filling needs in the draft but is it true we absolutely need to get a starting RT on day 1 or 2 of the draft? If I was GM I would go the quantity over quality route and sign 2 or 3 vets (isn't McKinnie and Clabo still out there?) along with one or two other young guys from the draft or elsewhere and let them all compete.

I would agree that we shouldn't be filling needs in the draft but is it true we absolutely need to get a starting RT on day 1 or 2 of the draft? If I was GM I would go the quantity over quality route and sign 2 or 3 vets (isn't McKinnie and Clabo still out there?) along with one or two other young guys from the draft or elsewhere and let them all compete.

Agree. I think Clabo would be a good pickup now, together with two OT's throughout draft.

You sound 'irked' and I have no issue with you disagreeing, but going into draft are you genuinely happy with how Hickey handled the FA period? In my mind you can't go into draft needing day 1 starters. At present we absolutely have to get a RT and feel we should have addressed that before we spent money on a CB, regardless whether I like him or not

When you go in needing 4 starters on the O-line...and yes most don't agree with your love of Clabo, its a given the draft will be necessary to find a starter or two.

Most fans who have watched this game for a long time knew we weren't going fill 4 O-line positions in free agency.....rational fans that is.

When you go in needing 4 starters on the O-line...and yes most don't agree with your love of Clabo, its a given the draft will be necessary to find a starter or two.

Most fans who have watched this game for a long time knew we weren't going fill 4 O-line positions in free agency.....rational fans that is.

'Rational fans'???

For one I never stated we could have picked up 4 starters, but tbh with the ridicilous pickup of Finnegan you could have picked up another O'lineman.

Please tell me what is not rational about that?

What is irrational is paying $11m for a CB who has been one of the worst in league last 2 years but expecting him too play to his level before then. Even worse championing the move and then saying he wil prob end up a nickel corner for $5.5 annually.

Shooting down fans wanting a RT as opposed to a CB is ridicilous. That is not irrational but looking at 2013 the smart option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me just add, I don't hate everything Hickey has done. I like, Smith, Moreno & Delmas, understand the signing of Albert and believe he was spot on with the resignings of Grimes and Starks, just hate the signing if Finnegan and the loss of Clemons & Carroll.
The question with Finnegan is whether he still has it. He got injured last year and stupidly played hurt before going on IR. However, says he is now fully recovered. We will soon see. There is a reason why he got the big contract in St Louis 2 years ago. At Tennessee he was one of the highest rated CBs in the game. If he is fully healthy and hasn't aged badly, he can play with great attitude. He can probably irritate receivers better than anyone. Make no mistake, he probably hasn't lost that verbal side to his game. They are speculating that Finnegan will be just playing in the slot, which means that he will be reading the plays and acting like the general on the field. It also means they may have Taylor earmarked for the 2nd CB role, if he's healthy and good enough. Finnegan is the same age as Grimes, who turned out to be a terrific success last year on a one year, show me deal. Finnegan didn't have other great DBs around him in St Louis but he has a lot more support here. It's a risk but if Finnegan is back to full health, he could be good. He is very similar to Grimes re size and playing on instincts (but he has the big verbal attribute, as well). Put them on the field together with a physical hitter like Delmas (you just know he will be looking for blood) and we could be pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look I am not against Finnegan being a success. I love the Finnegan from 2 years ago. That is not the point.

My point is, by choosing and it was a choice, to go with Delmas & Finnegan over Clemons & Carroll, cost us approx $5m this year. In my mind I would have preferred to have used that money to shore up the O'line. That I think would have been the smart and rational option......to fix out weakest unit and protect our biggest asset.

Look I am not against Finnegan being a success. I love the Finnegan from 2 years ago. That is not the point.

My point is, by choosing and it was a choice, to go with Delmas & Finnegan over Clemons & Carroll, cost us approx $5m this year. In my mind I would have preferred to have used that money to shore up the O'line. That I think would have been the smart and rational option......to fix out weakest unit and protect our biggest asset.
We have still got money in the war chest - don't worry about the money. I think that we are in the top 6 teams with money up our sleeves and there is talk that we are prepared to negotiate long term deals with Clay and Odrick. Procuring Finnegan and Delmas cost us more but this was not a case of spending money on the O-line or upgrading the secondary. I think they viewed it as spending money on the O-line and upgrading the secondary.
They obviously think that the quality of talent is there in this year's draft. However, with all of the speculation now about selecting a WR like Marqise Lee or a LB like CJ Mosely in the 1st round as BPA, it's making me a bit twitchy about the O-line. They are clearly doing a good job of creating smokescreens and illusions.

While they did manage to fix most of the problems on your list, one of the things you have to consider is the transition to a new GM. A new GM means new personnel. Any and EVERY GM that comes in here, especially their first year, is going to want their own blueprint. That is one of the problems that has plagued Miami for years....new coaching staffs have brought only one consistency to this football team and that is change. Until something sticks, we are going to recycle players and lack a real identity on and off the field.

The question with Finnegan is whether he still has it. He got injured last year and stupidly played hurt before going on IR. However, says he is now fully recovered. We will soon see. There is a reason why he got the big contract in St Louis 2 years ago. At Tennessee he was one of the highest rated CBs in the game. If he is fully healthy and hasn't aged badly, he can play with great attitude. He can probably irritate receivers better than anyone. Make no mistake, he probably hasn't lost that verbal side to his game. They are speculating that Finnegan will be just playing in the slot, which means that he will be reading the plays and acting like the general on the field. It also means they may have Taylor earmarked for the 2nd CB role, if he's healthy and good enough. Finnegan is the same age as Grimes, who turned out to be a terrific success last year on a one year, show me deal. Finnegan didn't have other great DBs around him in St Louis but he has a lot more support here. It's a risk but if Finnegan is back to full health, he could be good. He is very similar to Grimes re size and playing on instincts (but he has the big verbal attribute, as well). Put them on the field together with a physical hitter like Delmas (you just know he will be looking for blood) and we could be pretty good.

He's younger than Patterson and I would guess Patterson was playing the best ball of his career last season when healthy, some would even argue he was the better corner between him and Grimes. Its probably not a coincidence that Carroll, Wilson, Patterson and maybe even Grimes all played the best football of their careers under Coyle. I'm not going to make a prediction one way or the other on Finnegan but I'm not worried about his effort and its possible he can be even better than he's ever been in his career under Coyle.

We should have signed Streif, ignore the fact that he didn't want to go anywhere else and he signed for less to prove it....that is if you believe him stating that fact over and over. But ignore that and we should bash the FO for not signing him anyways. And their draft choices this year are a joke they should have selected better players, you know the ones everyone else will end up selecting! Well at least there's the 2015 draft!!!!

That I think would have been the smart and rational option.....

Thats debatable. The Patriots have a rule that they only allow a set amount of resources for the different positions so its highly unlikely a smart and rational team like the Patriots would have spent $17 mill a year just on tackles.

While they did manage to fix most of the problems on your list, one of the things you have to consider is the transition to a new GM. A new GM means new personnel. Any and EVERY GM that comes in here, especially their first year, is going to want their own blueprint. That is one of the problems that has plagued Miami for years....new coaching staffs have brought only one consistency to this football team and that is change. Until something sticks, we are going to recycle players and lack a real identity on and off the field.

Agreed. Its obvious that Jeffy & Joe did not see eye to eye. The whole Parcells regime was a cluster**** too. So far, its seems that Philbin & Hickey have a similar vision.

Its real easy for the OP or anyone to come in (after FA & before the draft) then start howling about how incomplete the team is. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

The FA moves have decent (my opinion); the hiring of Benton & Lazor could pay real dividends (again I'm being subjective).

If we draft Martin or Fox/Thomas/Garner work out at RT I'll be delighted. I hate the Finnegan signing but am happy with the rest FA.

I just feel we have handicapped ourselves going into draft needing O'line, when we could have gone LB or WR, where I think the value is and really improved out roster and set us up for 2015 regarding ridding some cap space.

Back
Top Bottom