why i think we should let welker go... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

why i think we should let welker go...

welker makes no sense to re-sign. we need a SPEEDSTER!!!!

Welker appeared to be on the bubble in camp but turned out to be the most productive receiver.

I would rather keep Welker I think he's plenty fast and his production proves that.

#1 I don't even know who this Curtis character is.

#2 Is he a FA or is his current team planning on releasing him?

Welker had a great year he makes plenty of sense to re-sign.

McMichael, Chambers & Booker had down years maybe they should be worried more than Welker, they are supposed to be the playmakers at the receiver position.

what we need are five main spots to upgrade: LT, WR, CB, NT, and OLB.

we have the #9 pick in the draft with our 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th round picks.

we need to target Eric Steinbach and Nate Clements via FA. Then, by letting Welker go...we can restructure Booker's contract and sign Kevin Curtis who is a speedster to replace Welker.

Curtis has the ability that Welker doesnt have to play the "outside" when he comes in and then we can move Chambers to the slot with Booker being a reliable possession receiver.

Hagan can back Booker up with Vick becoming our KR/PR.

This would open up our draft options come time for the draft.

We can then have the options to either draft a NT, OLB, or QB to replace Harrington at #9. Or we can trade down. :wink:

Yes, let's eliminate more heart from this football team.:breakpc:

I don’t think Wes Welker as good as people think he is...

Of all the NFL kick returners with at least 20 kick off returns in 2006, Welker ranked 28th in the league in Kick Return avg with 22.2yds per return. (22.6yds 2005, 23.2yds 2004) Improvement?

His punt returning wasn't much better, this year Wes Welker got 378 yds on 41 punt returns (9.2yds per return) in 2006.

Jeff Ogden... yes I said it JEFF OGDEN got 377 yds in only 32 punt returns (11.8yds per return 2001 MIA)

Also being the leading receiver of the dolphins does not guarentee future sucess... Chris Chambers, Randy McMichael, Orande Gadsden and his OG clothing line come to mind.

I don’t think Wes Welker as good as people think he is...

Of all the NFL kick returners with at least 20 kick off returns in 2006, Welker ranked 28th in the league in Kick Return avg with 22.2yds per return. (22.6yds 2005, 23.2yds 2004) Improvement?

His punt returning wasn't much better, this year Wes Welker got 378 yds on 41 punt returns (9.2yds per return) in 2006.

Jeff Ogden... yes I said it JEFF OGDEN got 377 yds in only 32 punt returns (11.8yds per return)

Also being the leading receiver of the dolphins does not guarentee future sucess... Chris Chambers, Randy McMichael, Orande Gadsden and his OG clothing line come to mind.

Orande Gadsen may be the best reciever this team has had since OJ McDuffie pal. Did you even watch the guy play? He was certainly more consistent than Chambers has ever been.
:redx2:

i agree that orande was the most consistent dolphin reciever since McDuffie... i liked watching him make crazy one handed grabs like that one against the jets

but you cant call welker consistent off of one year

He's been doing this for more than a year. I remember him being a key wide-out on 3rd down last year, made more than a few clutch grabs for Frerotte. Ofcourse, Chambers' shadow would have covered a pack of elephants with the gaudy numbers he put up. But look at Chambers now. You take a guy like Welker and you can respect him because you can see he takes the hits, throws his body around, and makes the best of the little talent God gave him(slow & tiny). Now you look at an athlete like Chambers, he's got it all- the height, the vertical, the speed, the footwork, the hands, the history, and what does he do with it? He underachieves, consistently. If you get rid of Welker you send a message like Saban did with Frerotte, and it's not a good message karmic or otherwise.

Mr. Ed I can understand your logic...

but by the same token you are admitting that Chambers is not a #1 WR.... and should not be paid that kind of money he is getting (something like $7 million for 07)...

I know CC has excelled in the slot (2001 and 2005 last 4 games), but by using your same logic I can tell you that...

Keep Welker and reduce CC's salary if he accepts a paycut (since you are putting him as a # 3 WR), if he does not you look out to trade him for a couple of picks...maybe we can find another LB, OT or WR, you know positions that we need the most...

It all depends on what Welker demands as a contract. Welker proved to be a valuable slot receiver for us this year and of course he is our main returner. However . . . it would be appreciated to have some speed at that returner position, and this is why I think Ginn Jr. might be an ideal pick for Miami. He can take over all the return duties, and work his way into the receiving rotation. Chambers, Hagan and Ginn . . . with question marks on Welker and Booker (Vick as well). Iono, just seems to be a no brainer pick for me. Welker has been great, but everybody is lying to themselves if they don't think we can upgrade his position . . . despite all this "heart" that everybody is in love with him with.

I'm sorry but on 3rd or 4th down the reciever I want to see the ball going towards is Wes Welker. I know that when the pass goes to him there is a greater chance of him catching the ball than dropping it. A number of times the guy gets hit and just bounces off the hit to get more yards.

People want to talk about his return game, but a huge part of the special teams is the blocking they recieve. When you have a guy in your face on most of your punts because your guys couldn't block them, thats a pretty good reason to have a bad PR average.

Very immature!

I guess you have proved my post on that only preteens and 9 year olds have responded to re-sign welker apologetics :rolleyes:

Insulting posters and name calling isn't exactly going to make anyone greatly appreciate or take your posts seriously. Grow up dude, if you can't handle a little criticism when posting something so controversial, you shouldn't post at all.

I love Wes' heart and desire. Too bad more players dont seem to have that drive. That being said....I do think its more than plausible to want to replace him as a returner. As someone above posted....I would love to see Ginn returning kicks.

I love Wes' heart and desire. Too bad more players dont seem to have that drive. That being said....I do think its more than plausible to want to replace him as a returner. As someone above posted....I would love to see Ginn returning kicks.

Replacing him as a returner I got no quarrels with especially if your drafting Ted Ginn Jr. Not resigning the guy would be a statement to your team that heart and effort count much less than a marquee name like discarding a Gus Frerotte that made your first year seem a million times more respectable than it ever should have been because his replacement was Daunte Culpepper. And doesn't that just sound nice to say? Say it with me- Daunte Culpepper. Gives you chills doesn't it? It should. Guy was once a stud. Once. Was. It sucks when you have to refer to the greatness of your franchise QB in the past tense.

Bottom line, when building a super bowl team your foundation must be set with warriors like Wes Welker.

what we need are five main spots to upgrade: LT, WR, CB, NT, and OLB.

we have the #9 pick in the draft with our 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th round picks.

we need to target Eric Steinbach and Nate Clements via FA. Then, by letting Welker go...we can restructure Booker's contract and sign Kevin Curtis who is a speedster to replace Welker.

Curtis has the ability that Welker doesnt have to play the "outside" when he comes in and then we can move Chambers to the slot with Booker being a reliable possession receiver.

Hagan can back Booker up with Vick becoming our KR/PR.

This would open up our draft options come time for the draft.

We can then have the options to either draft a NT, OLB, or QB to replace Harrington at #9. Or we can trade down. :wink:

No way keep Welker

Bottom line, when building a super bowl team your foundation must be set with warriors like Wes Welker.

I completely agree, and I'm pretty sure the OP does as well. I think the gripe he has, and I understand his point, is that Welker is a FA and if his demands are high, u got to look elsewhere. He is well below average on kick returns, and average on punts. He proved to be a solid slot receiver . . . but people have to factor in the solid coverage being rotated on our outside receivers. Just because Wes led the team in catches doesn't mean he deserves this huge contract. He still lacks the measureables and speed desired, and tho he has proved to be tuff and made solid catches, I think he can be upgraded . . . especially the return side of his game (kickoffs especially).

Iono, I would love to see him come back and compete for a position on this team next year . . . but unlike many on this forum, I wouldn't be heartbroken if he left . . . especially if I know his position was upgraded with a more solid performer. I guess time will tell, but even if we keep him . . . KO returner is a must upgrade . . . whether its Ginn, or even if Kelly Campbell is healthy enuff to tryout . . or Vick . . . somebody with some speed needs to be back there.

I completely agree, and I'm pretty sure the OP does as well. I think the gripe he has, and I understand his point, is that Welker is a FA and if his demands are high, u got to look elsewhere. He is well below average on kick returns, and average on punts. He proved to be a solid slot receiver . . . but people have to factor in the solid coverage being rotated on our outside receivers. Just because Wes led the team in catches doesn't mean he deserves this huge contract. He still lacks the measureables and speed desired, and tho he has proved to be tuff and made solid catches, I think he can be upgraded . . . especially the return side of his game (kickoffs especially).

Iono, I would love to see him come back and compete for a position on this team next year . . . but unlike many on this forum, I wouldn't be heartbroken if he left . . . especially if I know his position was upgraded with a more solid performer. I guess time will tell, but even if we keep him . . . KO returner is a must upgrade . . . whether its Ginn, or even if Kelly Campbell is healthy enuff to tryout . . or Vick . . . somebody with some speed needs to be back there.

I feel yah, but I can't agree witcha. If Welker asks for a paycheck he doesn't deserve(it would have to be a lot), I'll change my tune. For now, he's a keeper. Even more, he's a leader.

I know...Im not even going to waste my time responding to some of these kids...they dont even understand football

these were the same "san francisco residents:wink: "...that rode the Joey's won 4 in a row bandwagon... (if you know what im talking about) :lol:

:lol: anyway i still would like to keep welker

Back
Top Bottom