Why Not Ryan Mallet??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Not Ryan Mallet???

mikefinfan

Die hard Fins Fan
Reaction score
Watching the Scouting Combine today on NFL.com I noticed that Ryan Mallet was throwing really well, looked like a real pro arm on the kid.....so why not get him since his draft stock has dropped enough to get him at number 15

the guy has the tools, but the ryan leaf personality. i wouldnt be to upset if we got him, but his leadership is a huge question mark. and when the game is on the line he pulls a henne to often.

the guy has the tools, but the ryan leaf personality. i wouldnt be to upset if we got him, but his leadership is a huge question mark. and when the game is on the line he pulls a henne to often.

i dont agree with the leadership part, he did lead Arkansas to many great wins, without him, they wouldnt have been as good as they were, the kid has great potential to be great, he just needs to be coached up to be his best

Lol well on a side note if we got pat devlin, i think pennington would be the perfect guy to mentor to him, same type of player, same skill set so to say, as opposed to be the opposite of henne

dude is a cokehead maybe thats what this team needs to get the offense electrified ;p

He has a great arm and I think he can be a real good QB in the NFL. I would like if we drafted him at 15.

I've had a little man cush on him for a while. He'd be what we need down here, BUT I think Penny would need to take him under his wing OFF THE FIELD. He has great potential to get caught up in the scene down there and be a bust.

Mallet needs to work on the way he presents himself to the public. He has the arm, smarts, and physical tools for the NFL. I am not too concerned about the rumors because most of the athletes have been involved in something they might not be proud of.
If he is still there at 15, we should take a chance on him. If not, trade down and acquire more draft picks.

Wasn't the other concern with him is he folds under the blitz? I thought I read some where his play be came erratic when he was under pressure from the defense. Not sure how he would handle NFL blitz schemes IMO.

I don't see him as a confrontational jerk ala Ryan Leaf. Quite the contrary. He kept his cool today when the press was hounding him (4 identical questions in a row) on the drug rumors. So maybe he drank and did some weed and coke in college - big f'n deal - who didn't?!?!

As far as folding in big games, I don't buy it. His bowl game ended on a pick but c'mon, he played very well all game and his receivers totally killed him. Those Arkansas receivers were absolutely horrible and they just killed their chances to win with drop after drop. You can't put that on Mallett.

Wasn't the other concern with him is he folds under the blitz? I thought I read some where his play be came erratic when he was under pressure from the defense. Not sure how he would handle NFL blitz schemes IMO.

There's a whole thread on this with a link to all his plays where he came under pressure. He has plenty of very good plays under pressure where he side steps the rush (quite Marino-like) and gathers himself, and then throws downfield with accuracy. One in particular was a gorgeous deep pass to the end zone (after eluding the rush) and it should've been a TD but it was horribly dropped.

Idk but if we pass on Mallett at 15, we're nuts.

I think all pocket QB's can fold under blitz's if their receivers are covered. I guess the question is can he check off and get rid of the ball in a hurry, and then move on to the next play. It is better to fold and take the sack instead of throwing the pick.

I'm watching the drill right now where the QBs throw deep flys down the sideline to the WRs and Mallett looked great. Locker went right before him and all of his passes were short or inside or both. Mallett's were all long and outside as they should've been. Have to say that Kaepernick looked good too.

I'm watching the drill right now where the QBs throw deep flys down the sideline to the WRs and Mallett looked great. Locker went right before him and all of his passes were short or inside or both. Mallett's were all long and outside as they should've been. Have to say that Kaepernick looked good too.
I was pleasantly surprised with how Kaepernick did. Most of his throws were in the right position they needed to be.

I was pleasantly surprised with how Kaepernick did. Most of his throws were in the right position they needed to be.

The problem is Kaepernick is too much of a reach at 15 but won't make it to the 3rd round. And his release is kind of a wind-up. I'd just me more comfortable taking Mallett at 15.

Back
Top Bottom