Why so down on RB Elliott? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why so down on RB Elliott?

And Travis I feel like your still not understanding your own argument. We have other postional needs right? Ok so with that in mind, you want to draft a RB this year AND next year. that's TWO PICKS on RB position AND your insisting that we go with a Running back by committee approach. My argument is we could use a mid round pick on another position of need this year and use a early 2017 pick on another position of need instead of using two picks on RBs like you are suggesting. We pick Zeke in the first and we are set at RB, not committee, hes the guy. Not to mention hes one of most talented players in this years draft. Don't over think this Travis, Its simple really, you pick the best player who also fills a need and then you use him a full time starter instead as a rotational committee guy.

I'm sure Elliot will be a good back. I personally wouldn't waste a 1st rd pick on a position that isn't important. RB is a luxury and we certainly better not be trading up for it either.

Trade back or WJIII or Alexander. Would love Myles Jack if he's cleared but highly doubt he falls to us

Travis, consider this an even crazier idea but......

what if......

we......

draft......

the best player available! talent over need man, talent over need. That's what has ruined us for years. And to make things even crazier is that we kinda need a RB too.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Travis, Consider this an even crazier idea......But what if......we draft.......the best player available! Talent over need man, talent over need. Drafting for need is what has ruined over the years. And.....we even kinda need a RB, even crazier idea.

You have to draw the line somewhere. You wouldn't take a QB, kicker or WR, would you? And bottom line, Elliot is not that good.

I'm sure Elliot will be a good back. I personally wouldn't waste a 1st rd pick on a position that isn't important. RB is a luxury and we certainly better not be trading up for it either.

Trade back or WJIII or Alexander. Would love Myles Jack if he's cleared but highly doubt he falls to us

This is also not true. A ground game, despite the adage of "it's a passing league," is a necessity. If this past Super Bowl illustrated anything, it's that Defense and the ability to run the damn ball are needed to win a championship.

And Travis I feel like your still not understanding your own argument. We have other postional needs right? Ok so with that in mind, you want to draft a RB this year AND next year. that's TWO PICKS on RB position AND your insisting that we go with a Running back by committee approach. My argument is we could use a mid round pick on another position of need this year and use a early 2017 pick on another position of need instead of using two picks on RBs like you are suggesting. We pick Zeke in the first and we are set at RB, not committee, hes the guy. Not to mention hes one of most talented players in this years draft. Don't over think this Travis, Its simple really, you pick the best player who also fills a need and then you use him a full time starter instead as a rotational committee guy.
I understand you logic and, I'd usually agree, but . . . Gase is on record as saying he'll run a RB-by-committee - each back gets one series. That's one reason Miller had little interest to return. There is a chance he may change his mind if EE turns out to be Csonka, but I have serious doubts. If that is his philosophy, it is just conjecture whether he'll change his mind, but I suspect we take him at his word until (if) EE proves so good he changes that philosophy.

Dolphins are reaching new lows when the Browns are poking fun at our FO decisions. :lol:

TA
‏@ClevTA
Its kind of amazing that the Dolphins might have to trade up for a guy like Zeke to 8 when they already traded back from 8 two months ago.

Former TV Star ‏@SportsNom 3h3 hours ago
@ClevTA It's insane.They're selling it as getting 3 starters for a 3rd rounder (got 2 guys to go 8 to 13, give up a 3rd to go back to 8)

TA ‏@ClevTA 3h3 hours ago
@SportsNom and the crazy amount they have to pay the guys they got from Philly. Just terrible roster management

@ClevTA Yep! Just finding new ways to stay mediocre forever.

@ClevTA Guess theory is same as Browns (quantity>quality) but Maxwell's $ is better risk than picks that have huge bust rates.

TA ‏@ClevTA 3h3 hours ago
@SportsNom except that Maxwell was one of the worst CBs in the NFL last year so any dollar he earns is prob too much

Former TV Star ‏@SportsNom 2h2 hours ago
@ClevTA Oh I agree. Just saying their logic.

Elliot is far far away from Gurley, so, I do not like him even in the 13.

Down on Elliott? No, it's just over the years we see high picks bust and low picks or undrafted RB, excel.

After the moronic trade down this year, the only thing to compound that mistake would be to draft a RB...a freaking RB. Have we learned nothing from Ronnie Brown?

Meh. This off season is a complete sham. And Tbum is the architect. Surprised?

How can you say Miami didn't have a good running game with Miller as the starter? First off, Miami threw 588 times while running only 344 in 2015. Miller was 13th in yards in 2015 despite having the least amount of carries of all 12 RBs ahead of him statistically.

In 2014 Miller was 10th in the NFL in rushing yards despite again having the least amount of carries of the 9 RBs ahead of him.

If I was to ask you to name the top 3 RBs in the league, who would you choose? Let's look at the top 3 RBs statistically in 2014.

DeMarco Murray: 392 carries, 1,845 yards, 4.7 avg, 13 TDs. 57 receptions for 416 yards and 0 TDs.
LeVeon Bell: 290 carries, 1,361 yards, 4.7 avg, 8 TDs. 83 receptions for 854 yards and 3 TDs.
LeSean McCoy: 312 carries, 1,319 yards, 4.2 avg, 5 TDs. 28 receptions for 155 yards and 0 TDs.

Now let's look at Miller.

Lamar Miller: 216 carries, 1099 yards, 5.1 avg, 8 TDs. 38 receptions for 275 yards and 1 TD. I grant you it isn't a perfect way to estimate what could have happened but let's say Miller had run as often as the top 3 RBs in the league in 2014.

Murray ran 392 times. If Miller had also run 392 times, he would have had 897 yards more than he really had based on his 5.1 ypc for the year. That would have given him almost 2,000 yards which is more than Murray had.

Bell ran 290 times. If Miller had also run 290 times, he would have had 377 more yards than he really had based on his 5.1 ypc for the year. That would have given him 1,476 yards which is more than Bell had.

McCoy ran 312 times. If Miller had also run 312 times, he would have had 489 more yards than he really had based on his 5.1 ypc for the year. That would have given him 1,588 yards which is more than McCoy had.

None of this even takes into account how many more rushing TDs, receptions, and receiving TDs Miller could have had. Miami didn't run the ball with Lazor at the helm. In 2015, the Dolphins ran 344 times which ranked dead last in the league despite averaging 4.3 a carry which tied them with the Carolina Panthers and 6th overall (Tampa Bay ran had the best average per carry at 4.8).

In 2014, Miami had the 22nd most rushing attempts despite having the 2nd highest yards per carry average. They were behind Seattle (who averaged 5.3 an attempt). Seattle ran the ball 525 times in 2014, Miami had 399 times. Seattle played to their strengths, Miami had no clue how to do the same.

Who cares, our starter is Daniel "All Day" Thomas...

This year will be a committee no doubt (maybe not if EE is the pick) but you say it's a waste to use 2 picks on the position, well Damien Williams isn't impressive, nor are the rest (minus ajayi having potential). So using a day 3 pick on a back this year and a higher pick next year is hardly being wasteful. We get a back up/ complimentary piece, then next year can get a feature back to go along with what we have now.,

And you keep preaching on BPA, well as someone else pointed out- no team is truly a bpa only team. EVERYONE picks for needs, just depends who/where what players are rated. And by no means am I disagreeing and saying rb is not a need. But damn give ajayi a chance. It's not nearly as big of a need as other positions

I've read variations of this many times in many places. I understand the logic of pure BPA (e.g., pick talent over need), but I struggle with that. Does any NFL team REALLY draft on pure BPA? The reason I ask, . . . I've read R1 mock drafts for years. I would suspect, IF a team picks pure BPA, I'd have seen something in the mocks similar to "when 'x' is on the clock, they draft pure BPA, and at this spot will select Sid Luckman." I've never seen that. Don't see it this year. In every case I see, I find "when 'x' is on the clock, they pick either 'y' at OT or 'z' at MLB - both positions that need addressed." Not saying no team does it, but I can't find it. Which team has a documented history of drafting pure BPA.

Go to NFL.com. Look at last year's draft etc etc. In the last 3 seasons, maybe 2 players have been taken in the first 3 rounds as "BPA". Look it up and see.

Picking BPA is a ***** way out. YOU do not have the balls to make a call so you rely on a ranking done by...someone....

"Hey GM, uhh...we have 7 WRs, are you sure we should take another because he is rated 0.02 points over the RB that we need so bad?"

I suspect you're right. Either that, or by some cosmic coincidence every BPA pick happens to be at a position of need.

And you've hit on my concern. If my team has a 25yo Dan Marino and a gaping hole at MLB, why would I take a QB rated barely above a MLB?

I can see going pure BPA on day 3 - all holes SHOULD have been addressed and R5>7 picks are generally projects anyway. Throw in there are 32 different R1/2 BPA lists on draft day, and how can a fan know if the player selected was BPA or not? How can I complain because he wasn't BPA on MY list? Yes, I want BPA, but BPA at a position of need.

I'm not down on Elliot-- I'm down on the idiots who want the Dolphins to spend a high first-round draft pick on him.

Of course, some of those idiots are in the front office which is why we're starting to hear rumors floated about trading up into the top five in order to get Elliot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-things-amid-all-the-nfl-draft-misinformation

3. Miami ends up with Ezekiel Elliott: In my gut, I have this feeling that the Dolphins will end up with Elliott, whether it's at No. 13, where the team currently sits, or in a trade up. He's the type of lead dog that can take so much pressure off of the shoulders of QB Ryan Tannehill, and head coach Adam Gase must know that. Miami might choose to make an aggressive move up to land the top running back in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom