Why so down on RB Elliott? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why so down on RB Elliott?

You say we have so many other needs but yet you want to spend a mid round pick on a RB this year and use a 1st round pick next year on RB? And only use them as rotational players? I think Ill just spend a 1st this year on Elliot and let him be the 3 down Ricky Williams work horse.

The NFL in general, and Gase more specifically, does not employ RB's in such a manner. Drafting Elliot in the first would be a complete waste of resources for the Dolphins.

Elliot looks fine, but you can't with one hand say RBs aren't worth the money and let Miller walk and with the other draft a RB at #13. Interest in Elliot's gotta be a smokescreen. Not that we seem to need one, I have no idea who we're going to take. Isn't there like a tackle we could play at guard for a while? Either that or reach for a fit CB like hoops wants.

Also, no kidding, RBs are so underdrafted these days you can get a good one later.

There was ONE team that had a worse running game than ours and made the Play Offs. But then they have Tom Brady as QB.

So you do not need a great running game, you just need one of the best QBs in NFL history.

I'd like to have a good enough running back so on 3rd down and 1-2 yards for a 1st down, we do not always have to attempt a pass.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

Yea, I do not think Lamar ever got 1,500 yards..

That's not the point of the post.... Obviously he never got 1500. Not because he can't but because he never got the touches and had offensive lines that will go down as some of the worst in NFL history. He's not a big game performer. Not a work horse. Not worth the $$ he got.

With guys like Fournette, Cook, Chubb, and McCaffrey probably in next year's draft Miami don't need to forego addressing needs at CB to take Zeke Elliott. Give Ajayi and whomever else a chance this year, if they fail to impress Miami will be just as likely to get a good RB next year with all those guys in the draft.

Elliott might turn out to be a top RB, I still think those guys next year are better prospects though. Something about Elliott screams Mark Ingram to me, a college stud who turns into an average pro.

With guys like Fournette, Cook, Chubb, and McCaffrey probably in next year's draft Miami don't need to forego addressing needs at CB to take Zeke Elliott. Give Ajayi and whomever else a chance this year, if they fail to impress Miami will be just as likely to get a good RB next year with all those guys in the draft.

Elliott might turn out to be a top RB, I still think those guys next year are better prospects though. Something about Elliott screams Mark Ingram to me, a college stud who turns into an average pro.

The Mark Ingram comparison is so sad.

Anyway I'm so tired of the "next year running back" crowd. Who's to say 3 out of 4 don't have serious knee injuries this season? Also consider there is a VERY strong chance BOTH Albert and Pouncey will need to be replaced in next years draft. We might also be QB shopping in next years draft.

Anyway I'm so tired of the "next year running back" crowd. Who's to say 3 out of 4 don't have serious knee injuries this season? Also consider there is a VERY strong chance BOTH Albert and Pouncey will need to be replaced in next years draft. We might also be QB shopping in next years draft.

This idea of thinking is crazy to me. How are we going to wait another full season to get a quality running back??? We're going to get Tannehill killed throwing the ball 40-50 times a game. The offense will be extremely predicatble and will not succeed. Miller is gone and Ajayi is not a #1 back. This team will not win without a clear cut #1 running back. Ajayi is not that guy yet, if ever.

The NFL in general, and Gase more specifically, does not employ RB's in such a manner. Drafting Elliot in the first would be a complete waste of resources for the Dolphins.

Well if that is the case then we have already failed. I hope Gase isn't like the other coaches we've had who are afraid to ADAPT. That's what separates the bad or average coaches from the great ones. I hate stubborn coaches who are so set in their ways that they stick with their own offense or defense regardless of their personnel. That's why Belicheck has been so successful is because he adapts and changes his offense and defense and plays to their strengths. I hope that Gase isn't a coach who is afraid to make some changes to fit the strengths of their personnel.

We had a hole even we we had miller.

Miller might have had some decent production, but we have never had a good running game with him as the starter. He has never been the guy you hand the ball off to and win games.

Zeke is that guy.

Thats the difference between a productive running back and a work horse. Work horses win games.

How can you say Miami didn't have a good running game with Miller as the starter? First off, Miami threw 588 times while running only 344 in 2015. Miller was 13th in yards in 2015 despite having the least amount of carries of all 12 RBs ahead of him statistically.

In 2014 Miller was 10th in the NFL in rushing yards despite again having the least amount of carries of the 9 RBs ahead of him.

If I was to ask you to name the top 3 RBs in the league, who would you choose? Let's look at the top 3 RBs statistically in 2014.

DeMarco Murray: 392 carries, 1,845 yards, 4.7 avg, 13 TDs. 57 receptions for 416 yards and 0 TDs.
LeVeon Bell: 290 carries, 1,361 yards, 4.7 avg, 8 TDs. 83 receptions for 854 yards and 3 TDs.
LeSean McCoy: 312 carries, 1,319 yards, 4.2 avg, 5 TDs. 28 receptions for 155 yards and 0 TDs.

Now let's look at Miller.

Lamar Miller: 216 carries, 1099 yards, 5.1 avg, 8 TDs. 38 receptions for 275 yards and 1 TD. I grant you it isn't a perfect way to estimate what could have happened but let's say Miller had run as often as the top 3 RBs in the league in 2014.

Murray ran 392 times. If Miller had also run 392 times, he would have had 897 yards more than he really had based on his 5.1 ypc for the year. That would have given him almost 2,000 yards which is more than Murray had.

Bell ran 290 times. If Miller had also run 290 times, he would have had 377 more yards than he really had based on his 5.1 ypc for the year. That would have given him 1,476 yards which is more than Bell had.

McCoy ran 312 times. If Miller had also run 312 times, he would have had 489 more yards than he really had based on his 5.1 ypc for the year. That would have given him 1,588 yards which is more than McCoy had.

None of this even takes into account how many more rushing TDs, receptions, and receiving TDs Miller could have had. Miami didn't run the ball with Lazor at the helm. In 2015, the Dolphins ran 344 times which ranked dead last in the league despite averaging 4.3 a carry which tied them with the Carolina Panthers and 6th overall (Tampa Bay ran had the best average per carry at 4.8).

In 2014, Miami had the 22nd most rushing attempts despite having the 2nd highest yards per carry average. They were behind Seattle (who averaged 5.3 an attempt). Seattle ran the ball 525 times in 2014, Miami had 399 times. Seattle played to their strengths, Miami had no clue how to do the same.

This type of thinking is why we are stuck in mediocrity. You ALWAYS pick talent over need, and we actually have a need at RB.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Exactly^^^^

Next years draft is always better. Not to mention we probably wont be able to even sniff some of those RBs.

This type of thinking is why we are stuck in mediocrity. You ALWAYS pick talent over need, and we actually have a need at RB. ---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------
I've read variations of this many times in many places. I understand the logic of pure BPA (e.g., pick talent over need), but I struggle with that. Does any NFL team REALLY draft on pure BPA? The reason I ask, . . . I've read R1 mock drafts for years. I would suspect, IF a team picks pure BPA, I'd have seen something in the mocks similar to "when 'x' is on the clock, they draft pure BPA, and at this spot will select Sid Luckman." I've never seen that. Don't see it this year. In every case I see, I find "when 'x' is on the clock, they pick either 'y' at OT or 'z' at MLB - both positions that need addressed." Not saying no team does it, but I can't find it. Which team has a documented history of drafting pure BPA.

It will be interesting if Myles and Elliott were there at 13.

If this guy is good at blocking, would not that help our struggling o-line?

Don't care who we take really but after watching NFL Networks mock draft it seem very likely there will be a run on CBs in the lower half of the 1st round leaving Miami with not much for their 2nd round pick. Hargreaves, Apple, Ramsey, Jackson and Artie Burns were all gone by the 25th pick.

You say we have so many other needs but yet you want to spend a mid round pick on a RB this year and use a 1st round pick next year on RB? And only use them as rotational players? I think Ill just spend a 1st this year on Elliot and let him be the 3 down Ricky Williams work horse.

I think my post went over your head a bit.

Consider this- we can take a corner in the first who will be a starter and could develop into a great player. Elliot is already a good player yes, but how much more likely is it to find a player to contribute to a backfield in mid rounds than a corner who comes in ready to play?

And the point of the post is that we can get a more elite back next year instead of wasting a valuable 1st this year. Let me break it down- day 3 pick this year to supplement ajayi this year. Next year we go after a better back than Elliott. And we then have a three headed attack until ajayi is done here. Also not using our 1st 3 picks on a rb will help to shore up our team of some needs and therefore next year rb as bpa is much more feasible

It's really not a super difficult concept

Travis, consider this an even crazier idea but......

what if......

we......

draft......

the best player available! talent over need man, talent over need. That's what has ruined us for years. And to make things even crazier is that we kinda need a RB too.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Travis, Consider this an even crazier idea......But what if......we draft.......the best player available! Talent over need man, talent over need. Drafting for need is what has ruined over the years. And.....we even kinda need a RB, even crazier idea.

Back
Top Bottom