Why so down on RB Elliott? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why so down on RB Elliott?

Teams win Super Bowls without great running backs these days. RB just isn't the essential workhorse position it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this will answer the OP's question, rather than drive the train on thought completely off the tracks:

Ezekiel Elliot does not have a "wow" trait. In other words:

His ability to break tackles is very good, but not great.
His acceleration is very good, but not great.
His top end speed is very good, but not great.
His ability to make defenders miss is good, but not great.

His vision, in my opinion, is exceptional. So is his pass blocking, and his receiving ability.

But these aren't things that show up on tape.

When I first looked at him, I wasn't overwhelmed, because of what I listed above. But you know what he does? He does EVERYTHING really well.

I parsed my thoughts on him a few months ago, about how I thought he did everything very well, but nothing extraordinarily well, and another poster said, "You just described Emmitt Smith."

I think he's spot on. And I think that's what lets him drop to 13.

That's why I think he's an elite prospect. Because he's good at everything. He's a complete player. As good as you're going to get in terms of looking for a starter. But again I understand why people are hesitant to draft a RB first.

I guess the people who are down are block heads to not see how talented he is, it's the same people saying he's no Todd Gurley....when in reality he's every bit as good and probably a safer pick because he's healthier and is built to last last longer than Gurley, Gurley takes alot of hits because of his up right running style.

I can think of three reasons.

1) He's not a special talent. Yes, he was productive, but look at the offensive linemen he was running behind. He isn't another Ronnie Brown. He's another Mark Ingram.

2) He's a diva. Go find that video of him bitching at his coaching staff for not getting enough carries. The guy basically announced he was coming out in the draft because he wasn't getting the ball enough.

3) He and Joey Bosa were apparently running a goddamn nightclub out of their dorm room. Molly and ecstasy were the main attractions. Bosa eventually had to move out. You can find it in the rumors section on walterfootball, among other places.

No ****ing way I'm drafting this guy in the first round.

Teams win Super Bowls without great running backs these days. RB just isn't the essential workhorse position it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three of the past four Super Bowl winners relied pretty heavily on very good RB performances to get their rings.

1. Most RB's today are not worth a first round pick. AP is the only one that comes to mind in the last 20 years that was worth it. All the rest are not that different from their counter parts in later rounds
2. He is not elite. He is good, really good, but not game changing good in the NFL. I may be wrong on that, but that's what I see
3. RB's don't last long today
4. RB's in general are not as important as they once were; most teams use two backs now
5. We need so much more than a RB

I like Elliot but he may be the 5th best back next year. Would love Dalvin Cook instead.

There are a lot of reports he is a big time party guy. You put $20 mill in his pocket and it might be a bad situation

He partied so much at Ohio St that his roommate Joey Bosa had to find a new place to live last year cause the rumors were hurting his draft stock

Not down on him, its just the fact that we already have Jay Ajayi who has every bit the talent elliot has plus we have WAAAAY more glaring needs at lb, corner and guard.

Its not that I am down on Zeke Elliott, its that there is a history of late round and undrafted RBs making an impact at the pro level. For every AP, Emmitt Smith, and Tony Dorsett drafted in the first round, there are 5 Blair Thomas, Curtis Enis, Beenie Wells, and Cedric Bensons. A few exceptions aside, RBs have a 7 year max shelf life for the team that drafts them. Like many have stated above, there are more glaring needs for the Dolphins than running back.

Back
Top Bottom