Will We Tag Wilkins? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will We Tag Wilkins?

those top 3 as you mentioned wreck games, worth every penny in the right situation for a competing team with the cap room. For us, with a limited cap and numerous needs, we can downgrade a bit by spending half of what he'll cost and use that money for say a LB or edge guy. I get that it will be for a so-called b tier guy but I think that type of guy will fill in nicely with little or no drop off. Sieler type if you will. We can't afford 24+ with other needs as we are still competing for a champioship.

He also had those sacks in his contract gamble year after turning down 20m so there was motivation. His highest sack total before was 4.5 but to be fair it could have been scheme/coaching but it is what it is. Aside from his personality, motor, drive he remained HEALTHY which certainly factors in to the salary imo
I think he somewhat hurt himself in terms of sacks by sitting on the sidelines during training camp and preseason. He looked pretty slow and really tired at times. As the season moved on he got back in to playing shape.

And for the umpteenth time, paying a certain QB $50M a year actually helps the team cap hit over the next 2 seasons so that when the big hits are due the salary cap will be over $300M.
And hamstrings us for years ….

You think that, I think that it will look like a bargain in 3 years time when Shroud gets extended for $65-70M per year.
The money while a problem, isn't the entirety of the issue. It has lot of it had to do with player in this case, Tua just cannot a carry a team, so why pay him that way?

Shroud looks a whole lot more interesting than Tua to me.

The money while a problem, isn't the entirety of the issue. It has lot of it had to do with player in this case, Tua just cannot a carry a team, so why pay him that way?

Which QBS do you think carried their teams this year?

Which QBS do you think carried their teams this year?
Mahomes.

One can make arguments for Jackson, Allen and Stroud considering the condition of the Texans.

To be mindful this is not just about stats...here is my subjective point. I recall watching QB's Marino, Elway, Mahomes and when they stepped on the field with 2mins left, you knew the opposing team was screwed.

We don't look for Tua either, we look for Hill (and the opposing team fears Hill) in those 2 mins....that is the difference. We shouldn't pay 50M for viable, we made the mistake @#5 for just viable in my opinion.

I totally understand why you think this hamstrings the team, you don't believe Tua will ever lead the team anywhere. Meanwhile I look at last season as a positive in that it showed me that the team can still be competitive even when Tua has a God awful OL in front of him, that's actually a large positive. You have to remember that Miami had 44% of all offensive snaps taken by backups.

I don't think a QB can carry a team to a Superbowl win, they can certainly influence it but in the end the QB will need his team to stand up and make a play for him at some point. Might be receiver, might be a running back, might even be the defence but at some point plays will need to be made to help out the QB. It's just about limiting that number of plays and Tua is improving each year.

I'm of the opinion that Tua will be good enough to win a Superbowl at some point in his career and it's the first time I've felt that way about a QB in Miami since Marino.

Mahomes.

One can make arguments for Jackson, Allen and Stroud considering the condition of the Texans.

To be mindful this is not just about stats...here is my subjective point. I recall watching QB's Marino, Elway, Mahomes and when they stepped on the field with 2mins left, you knew the opposing team was screwed.

We don't look for Tua either, we look for Hill (and the opposing team fears Hill) in those 2 mins....that is the difference. We shouldn't pay 50M for viable, we made the mistake @#5 for just viable in my opinion.
Mahomes had the #2 ranked defence (and it played like the #1 defence all through the playoffs), the best pass block win rate of any team by a significant margin and he still needed a luck bounce on a punt and a missed extra point to win the game.

The Texans were much better than you think on offence, a high pass block win rate and their receivers had some of the best separation metrics in the league.

Allen had a fully healthy offence all year, Knox is the only one who missed games and they had Kinkaid to cover for him. Yet he needed his defence to carry them to the playoffs and a punt return to beat a Miami team that was missing 9 starters.

Jackson had the #1 rushing attack and the #1 defence in the league and home field advantage and couldn't make it so the Superbowl.

I firmly believe this "QB carries their teams to victories" is wildly overblown.

Mahomes had the #2 ranked defence (and it played like the #1 defence all through the playoffs), the best pass block win rate of any team by a significant margin and he still needed a luck bounce on a punt and a missed extra point to win the game.

The Texans were much better than you think on offence, a high pass block win rate and their receivers had some of the best separation metrics in the league.

Allen had a fully healthy offence all year, Knox is the only one who missed games and they had Kinkaid to cover for him. Yet he needed his defence to carry them to the playoffs and a punt return to beat a Miami team that was missing 9 starters.

Jackson had the #1 rushing attack and the #1 defence in the league and home field advantage and couldn't make it so the Superbowl.

I firmly believe this "QB carries their teams to victories" is wildly overblown.
I think the Chiefs defense gave up 14 pts. in the second half and OT in the entire playoffs, went on the road and took down Allen and Jackson, doesn't get much better than that. Mahomes is fantastic, but that defense and Spags deserve most of the credit for that championship

At some point the QB has to make a play.

Another poster earlier said a wide receiver, a running back, the defense has to make a play. All that is true, but also, the QB has to make a play sometimes too. And he has the ball in his hands all the time.

Tua has yet to show he can be clutch when needed. We will see next year if he can add this aspect to his game. I hope so. I was a strong advocate for him since he won the championship at Alabama. I’m not seeing that same player in the NFL.

At some point the QB has to make a play.

Another poster earlier said a wide receiver, a running back, the defense has to make a play. All that is true, but also, the QB has to make a play sometimes too. And he has the ball in his hands all the time.

Tua has yet to show he can be clutch when needed. We will see next year if he can add this aspect to his game. I hope so. I was a strong advocate for him since he won the championship at Alabama. I’m not seeing that same player in the NFL.
You’re not seeing that player because he’s about 30-35 lbs heavier

Back
Top Bottom