Will We Tag Wilkins? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will We Tag Wilkins?

I'm being sarcastic but is our front office on vacation still? We are 50 mil under and no word on any movements? Are we waiting for March to suddenly make it all happen like poof!
For that to be true, it would require Grier to have a plan..... and so far it doesn't look like he has any.

He's our best player on the D-line and arguably the 2nd best defensive player behind Jaylen Ramsey. Presume that you realize he got 9.5 sacks last season. It is very hard to draft extremely good players and natural leaders, yet GM Chris Grier succeeded in doing so. I just think that it would be a pity to lose him over money. He deserves to get paid and I'd like him to stay in Miami, if it's possible.
Ed Oliver(17m) Cox and Sieler are around 10, Q Williams 24m. No way Wilks is top 3 imo, again, love the dude but at 20 sign him at 24 it's getting out of hand considering our other needs. If Grier can work his magic on a cap-saving, non-detrimental contract of some sort I would be ecstatic. He would be tough to lose but not impossible to fill the need for less.

click on market value and you can see he is looking for the moon

Last edited:
How many "great" DTs are out there? What's your number for a "very good" DT? I say Jones, Donald, and Q Williams are your top 3. Wilkins IMO, very close to Williams and comes in at 4 with a few others close by. Factoring in his leadership, it's going to be tough to lose him. But yes, tough to pay him. I didn't think so at first, but the more I think about it they may tag him to keep negotiating or get a trade partner.
Except statistically Wilkins isn't close to these guys when you look at QB pressures.

That's why those guys get paid so much, it's what makes them worth their contract.

Wilkins doesn't understand this, any of our fans who want to pay him 25 million a year don't understand this.

He's our best player on the D-line and arguably the 2nd best defensive player behind Jaylen Ramsey. Presume that you realize he got 9.5 sacks last season. It is very hard to draft extremely good players and natural leaders, yet GM Chris Grier succeeded in doing so. I just think that it would be a pity to lose him over money. He deserves to get paid and I'd like him to stay in Miami, if it's possible.
im sure durability is also being factored into the contract, dude has never missed a game

those top 3 as you mentioned wreck games, worth every penny in the right situation for a competing team with the cap room. For us, with a limited cap and numerous needs, we can downgrade a bit by spending half of what he'll cost and use that money for say a LB or edge guy. I get that it will be for a so-called b tier guy but I think that type of guy will fill in nicely with little or no drop off. Sieler type if you will. We can't afford 24+ with other needs as we are still competing for a champioship.

He also had those sacks in his contract gamble year after turning down 20m so there was motivation. His highest sack total before was 4.5 but to be fair it could have been scheme/coaching but it is what it is. Aside from his personality, motor, drive he remained HEALTHY which certainly factors in to the salary imo
Well, I think we are close in our opinions. Ultimately, I don't think the team can pay him $24M.

Except statistically Wilkins isn't close to these guys when you look at QB pressures.

That's why those guys get paid so much, it's what makes them worth their contract.

Wilkins doesn't understand this, any of our fans who want to pay him 25 million a year don't understand this.
I don't want to pay him $25M either. Went down that road before paying Suh a **** ton for a non-premium position. Now, this team is much better but they are backed into a corner cap wise. They better have a backup plan, though. And I'm not talking about Raekwon Davis.

Ahh you’re right I was thinking of a non exclusive franchise tag which allows him to find other deals and we get picks in return if we don’t match.

Yeah I mean words don’t mean much. Can’t just let him walk away for nothing. Leonard Williams just got a 2nd and 5th last year and Wilkins arguably better. That was also because weaver came along as well. Worse case I see a tag and trade and we get a 3rd out of a team with a top 15 pick in the round.
I can't see any team trading for him if Miami tags him, he's just not the kind of impact player you want to give up a 3rd and $24M a season for. There are maybe 2 DT's in the league that are worth that and Wilkins isn't one of them. If Miami tags him they either get a long term deal done with him or rescind the tag later and have a very angry player and look like even bigger idiots in the media.

If the Chiefs don't franchise tag Chris Jones (and they are looking at a $32M hit if they do due to his salary in 2023) and you are a team that has the money for a big salary DT then you would be nuts not to go all in on Jones rather than pay Miami a 3rd plus a contact for Wilkins.

The best case scenario for Miami is a tag and trade. However, it seems unlikely we clear over $70M in contracts by March 5th. Most of our money is going to come from post June 1st releases. Think we will have to let Wilkins walk and focus on resigning Williams, Hunt and/or AVG based on their asking prices.

I hope we keep Wilkins, but paying for a DT is too much money for a position that can only have so much impact.
The only DT i think worth that kind of cap space in the NFL in recent memory is Aaron Donald.
It's worth noting Grier was part of the staff that backed up the brinks truck for Suh, who was better than Wilkins.

I can't see any team trading for him if Miami tags him, he's just not the kind of impact player you want to give up a 3rd and $24M a season for. There are maybe 2 DT's in the league that are worth that and Wilkins isn't one of them. If Miami tags him they either get a long term deal done with him or rescind the tag later and have a very angry player and look like even bigger idiots in the media.

If the Chiefs don't franchise tag Chris Jones (and they are looking at a $32M hit if they do due to his salary in 2023) and you are a team that has the money for a big salary DT then you would be nuts not to go all in on Jones rather than pay Miami a 3rd plus a contact for Wilkins.

Not following the logic that Wilkins isn’t worth a 3rd when Leonard Williams was traded for a 10 game rental and a chance to tag/resign for a 2nd and a 5th.

Worse case he’s a one year rental if tagged and can’t come to an argument. The additional 8 million in cap by the total cap moving up made that a lot more of an option.

There’s teams like the bears and the colts both with 70 million this year and 200 next year who will have cheap rookie deals at qb and can afford to pay extra for talent. Hell colts almost made the playoffs with a backup qb and you’re telling me they wouldn’t be interested in giving up a 3rd for a DT coming off 9 sacks? Have to spend the money on something. That’s just two teams and contrary to your believe there’s probably multiple teams throughout the league that want to improve the DT spot and will only be 1-2 other comparable DT’s.

Not following the logic that Wilkins isn’t worth a 3rd when Leonard Williams was traded for a 10 game rental and a chance to tag/resign for a 2nd and a 5th.

Worse case he’s a one year rental if tagged and can’t come to an argument. The additional 8 million in cap by the total cap moving up made that a lot more of an option.

There’s teams like the bears and the colts both with 70 million this year and 200 next year who will have cheap rookie deals at qb and can afford to pay extra for talent. Hell colts almost made the playoffs with a backup qb and you’re telling me they wouldn’t be interested in giving up a 3rd for a DT coming off 9 sacks? Have to spend the money on something. That’s just two teams and contrary to your believe there’s probably multiple teams throughout the league that want to improve the DT spot and will only be 1-2 other comparable DT’s.
I think one of the reasons Williams was traded for a 2nd was the fact that he was only counting as $600K against the cap last season and maybe Seattle felt they were close?

I hope you are right but I just can't see it happening personally.

Back
Top Bottom