Will We Tag Wilkins? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will We Tag Wilkins?

I think it means Grier is happy letting them test the market
100%. I suspect Grier offered max he’s willing to pay at DT to Wilkins last off season, which counted on Wilkins continuing to improve, and would kick in 2024.

All Wilkins did this season was play out his 5th option, didn’t get injured, and his play validated Grier’s offer for the follow on contract. The offer didn’t go up or anything.

tag GIF by Golden Globes

I don't think so. Grier is going to play the comp game for additional picks in 2025.

I wouldn’t say hes playing the comp game as much as he has left himself no other recourse but to get minimal assets as a means compensating for his lack of foresight.

There’s a decent chance someone else is making those picks next year, so I doubt it was his plan.

I am predicting Wilkins ends up a Chicago Bear and that he will have regrets about that decision later in life. He’ll take that defense to another level as that team is poised to have a great 4-5 year run before they have to pay Caleb Williams.

Unfortunately I don't think we will tag him, and I think he'll take more money elsewhere. I'll gladly stay with a company for $60k vs $75k if I'm happy with the latter, but $25M vs $30M.... I'll go with the spare $5M. Smaller percentage, but big toys.

I really like the guy and hope we keep him, but not counting on it. Compensetory pick is the result of this one.

Sadly we will lose a a very solid player, but 25M per for a DT is some very serious coin. We cannot overpay for very solid players because when injuries occur and they will occur we are then on the hook for major cap hits.

Look at Chubb and Armstead, Chubbs contract is going to be annoying to deal with unless he returns to full strength and Armstead is paid for 8 games a year.

Sadly we will lose a a very solid player, but 25M per for a DT is some very serious coin. We cannot overpay for very solid players because when injuries occur and they will occur we are then on the hook for major cap hits.

Look at Chubb and Armstead, Chubbs contract is going to be annoying to deal with unless he returns to full strength and Armstead is paid for 8 games a year.
This is why I have no faith in Grier; hopefully he'll be gone soon, although he should have been fired years ago.

Transition tag at 15 million probably makes the most sense. Will be similar to Welker if someone else wants him Miami can trade him to them. I’d be happy with a 2nd or a 3rd and 4th this year.
Transition tag just gives you the option to match the deal. If someone front loads the deal there is no way Miami can match it and he walks for free. I just don't see any advantage to using it.

Grier has already said that Wilkins "earned his right to be a free agent" so I'd be surprised if they tag him in any way at all.

Back
Top Bottom