Will We Tag Wilkins? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will We Tag Wilkins?

I don't think they tag him. This obligates you to a course of action and it ties your hand with other moves and restructures. There certainly is no advantage to doing so day 1. You have until March 5th and I'm sure there is a lot of planning and conversations going on behind the scenes.

As for Wilkins, I hope he stays, but I'm not willing to overpay for him to do so. All things considered, make him a fair offer based on his performance and see how it works out.

As an aside, I'm seeing a lot of talking heads speculating he could end up in Minnesota if he doesn't resign with us

Sadly we will lose a a very solid player, but 25M per for a DT is some very serious coin. We cannot overpay for very solid players because when injuries occur and they will occur we are then on the hook for major cap hits.

Look at Chubb and Armstead, Chubbs contract is going to be annoying to deal with unless he returns to full strength and Armstead is paid for 8 games a year.
This. He's a very good player but he's not a $24M a season DT. He's not at the level of Aaron Donald, Chris Jones or even Quinnen Williams. You can also make a case that even in his own division Ed Oliver and Christian Barmore are at the same level or even better.

Miami already has Sieler giving nearly as much production at less than half that price. If they are considering giving Wilkins the money I'd just push the boat out and see what Chris Jones is after instead.

I think the team will offer 1-2 more deals and then after that allow him to test the waters.
If he goes, he goes.
Just curious if they plan to have a quieter FA period, or go after cut guys. to shoot for comp picks next year for Wilkins and others.
His deal should net a 3rd next draft.

Sadly, compensatory picks are the following year, so in essence we lose out this year and trade a first round proven pick for a third. That's a great move there...

I hope that we can find the money to keep Christian Wilkins. I see this as the Dolphins absolute top priority. However, I would not be surprised if a fiscally pragmatic decision is made to move on from him, because he will cost $26M+ per season with a massive amount guaranteed. Teams like Washington and Chicago are cashed up with money to burn and Christian would probably be able to make an immediate impact.

This. He's a very good player but he's not a $24M a season DT. He's not at the level of Aaron Donald, Chris Jones or even Quinnen Williams. You can also make a case that even in his own division Ed Oliver and Christian Barmore are at the same level or even better.

Miami already has Sieler giving nearly as much production at less than half that price. If they are considering giving Wilkins the money I'd just push the boat out and see what Chris Jones is after instead.
Right, solid player but not in the league of the others you mentioned.

I hope that we can find the money to keep Christian Wilkins. I see this as the Dolphins absolute top priority. However, I would not be surprised if a fiscally pragmatic decision is made to move on from him, because he will cost $26M+ per season with a massive amount guaranteed. Teams like Washington and Chicago are cashed up with money to burn and Christian would probably be able to make an immediate impact.
Why do you see this as an absolute top priority? Just wondering as I see him as a very good, not great DT. I was really happy when we drafted him out of Clemson as I watched him there quite a bit. I love that he stays healthy, love his personality, motor, but don't think he's a game wrecker which you'd expect for 24+m/yr

Why do you see this as an absolute top priority? Just wondering as I see him as a very good, not great DT. I was really happy when we drafted him out of Clemson as I watched him there quite a bit. I love that he stays healthy, love his personality, motor, but don't think he's a game wrecker which you'd expect for 24+m/yr
How many "great" DTs are out there? What's your number for a "very good" DT? I say Jones, Donald, and Q Williams are your top 3. Wilkins IMO, very close to Williams and comes in at 4 with a few others close by. Factoring in his leadership, it's going to be tough to lose him. But yes, tough to pay him. I didn't think so at first, but the more I think about it they may tag him to keep negotiating or get a trade partner.

Transition tag just gives you the option to match the deal. If someone front loads the deal there is no way Miami can match it and he walks for free. I just don't see any advantage to using it.

Grier has already said that Wilkins "earned his right to be a free agent" so I'd be surprised if they tag him in any way at all.

Ahh you’re right I was thinking of a non exclusive franchise tag which allows him to find other deals and we get picks in return if we don’t match.

Yeah I mean words don’t mean much. Can’t just let him walk away for nothing. Leonard Williams just got a 2nd and 5th last year and Wilkins arguably better. That was also because weaver came along as well. Worse case I see a tag and trade and we get a 3rd out of a team with a top 15 pick in the round.

He's our best player on the D-line and arguably the 2nd best defensive player behind Jaylen Ramsey. Presume that you realize he got 9.5 sacks last season. It is very hard to draft extremely good players and natural leaders, yet GM Chris Grier succeeded in doing so. I just think that it would be a pity to lose him over money. He deserves to get paid and I'd like him to stay in Miami, if it's possible.

Sadly, compensatory picks are the following year, so in essence we lose out this year and trade a first round proven pick for a third. That's a great move there...
To be fair, you left off the 5 years of service he gave the team.

Ideally, if we knew we were not to resign him, we would have done a trade last year when the team had some contract leverage. Since the Dolphins were all in on 'win now', it did not happen.

The team gambled the leverage it had on him last year as an accepted risk for doing well in the post season. In the end it didn't work out.

While a 3rd rounder seems like paltry compensation for a proven player, it is what it is.

How many "great" DTs are out there? What's your number for a "very good" DT? I say Jones, Donald, and Q Williams are your top 3. Wilkins IMO, very close to Williams and comes in at 4 with a few others close by. Factoring in his leadership, it's going to be tough to lose him. But yes, tough to pay him. I didn't think so at first, but the more I think about it they may tag him to keep negotiating or get a trade partner.
those top 3 as you mentioned wreck games, worth every penny in the right situation for a competing team with the cap room. For us, with a limited cap and numerous needs, we can downgrade a bit by spending half of what he'll cost and use that money for say a LB or edge guy. I get that it will be for a so-called b tier guy but I think that type of guy will fill in nicely with little or no drop off. Sieler type if you will. We can't afford 24+ with other needs as we are still competing for a champioship.

He also had those sacks in his contract gamble year after turning down 20m so there was motivation. His highest sack total before was 4.5 but to be fair it could have been scheme/coaching but it is what it is. Aside from his personality, motor, drive he remained HEALTHY which certainly factors in to the salary imo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom