Wilson>Tannehill and Weeden | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wilson>Tannehill and Weeden

Hey kudo's for being right about Wilson being a good nfl player, but its way to early judge him better than anybody long term.

I personally think he had a great advantage over most rookie QB's due to the quality of the team around him, if a team is talented enough even a mediocre QB can look good or adequate(See Trent Dilfer and the Baltimore Ravens).

I personally do not like QB's that short in this league and feel they have a sizeable disadvantage.

I would not trade Tannehill for Russell Wilson right now and seriously doubt Russell Wilson would have looked nearly as good had he played on this team last year with its poor set of receivers lacking a scary deep threat.

Given that (as you can see if you read up in the thread) I was already of the opinion that there's a pretty decent chance Russell Wilson is better than Ryan Tannehill, yes his performance this year means that I absolutely would trade Ryan Tannehill for Russell Wilson straight up, in a heartbeat. It's not the passer rating or anything like that. It's how he performed in clutch situations especially at the end of the year in the playoffs with his team down and needing a spark.

He's going to be a fantastic quarterback. I'm pretty sure of that now. Maybe I'm wrong. But if I am wrong, I will be shocked.

I'm confused. Did you bump your own thread to say you were "right" or to say that you were wrong?

Sure Wilson had a good first year. But that is one year. Let's judge this after year three. For all you know Wilson will suffer from a sophomore slump this year.

Remember. Never goto the Library without your shotgun.

I was talking about it in the vip chat a while back, and I ran into it, and just made a little joke. I wasn't trying to act like I was better than everyone else or anything, was late at night and was bored.

Have you made any predictions on what you expect Weeden to do in year two now that he has had a time to acclimate as well as with the new coaching changes etc.

Better?

In all honesty they threw Brandon to the wolves last year. They didn't tailor the system to his strengths and weaknesses at all. They didn't try and take pressure off him by running the football. They didn't surround him with reliable pass catching talent. He had to go up against playoff defenses constantly.

I do expect SOME of those negative factors to be alleviated in 2013. For one thing the system that Norv Turner will install will and always has been more suited to his style. Phil Rivers took upwards of 77% of his pass snaps out of the gun last year. Weeden was a shotgun passer in college and had a significantly better passer rating out of the gun as a rookie than dropping back. The Browns' percentage of shotgun plays was 2nd lowest in football in 2012, second only to the Texans. Norv Turner is above all a great play caller, as well. That's something that Weeden had at Oklahoma State with Dana Holgorsen, who is a great play caller above all. Turner is a guy that will definitely rely on a player like Trent Richardson to run the football. The previous staff didn't do that well enough.

On the other hand, with Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati still in the division things don't necessarily get easier schedule-wise. They play New England, Green Bay, Minnesota, Chicago. Won't be easy to pass on any of these teams. Nor Miami, or the Jets. All tough pass defenses to have to face.

Also I'm not convinced they've really surrounded him with better talent. You swap out Ben Watson for Kellen Davis, I'm not sure how that's going to benefit your quarterback. Pulling in Davone Bess to help between the hashes is actually going to help stabilize that unit, though. They have big play potential with Josh Gordon, and I think Jordan Cameron has potential in Norv's system. The offensive line especially has a chance to be real good. And if that means Trent Richardson ends up running wild then that could be enough.

After one season on a team with far more weapons? I like Wilson, but doing this reminds me of when all the Vince Young fans came out during year one, only to completely disappear afterwards. Please note that I'm clearly comparing the situation of bumping your own thread to gloat, not comparing Wilson to Young (sad that I need to explain that, but there will still be somebody that will completely misread it and think I'm comparing the two).

Also, you were dead wrong about Tannehill. If you still see a 2nd or 3rd rounder, you clearly don't have a clue what you're looking at.

Didn't mean to act like I was gloating, it was just something I ran into and was talking about it in the vip chat. Also, I needed my WPA a little higher. :chuckle:

And when I first heard about tannehill, I was more against him because I'm a Mizzou fan and really only looked at him in a negative way, after a few months looking at him I was excited on draft day when we drafted him.

Russell Wilson is a good QB, for sure. But, I think the Cam Newton fans were calling him things like "the best ever" and "once in a lifetime" and many other over-the-top hyperbole statements. Truth is, Cam had a good 2nd year, but it wasn't as good as his first, and he was overshadowed by the new media darlings. Don't be surprised if the same thing happens to some of this past year's class too.

But, when you look at it, Tannehill came in with huge concerns about experience, staring down receivers, inconsistent accuracy, and poor decision making. He also came in having improved dramatically during his less than 2 years as a starting collegiate QB. His rookie season, he improved tremendously again, fixing his accuracy and almost never making the same mistake twice. He threw for more yards than Dan Marino did as a rookie ... and more yards than RGIII ... and more yards than Russell Wilson ... and 1 yard shy of Cam Newton's most yards ever by a rookie QB in a game (later eclipsed by 1 yard by Luck who was proclaimed the fantastic). When Tannehill threw for 1 yard less than the most ever thrown by a rookie QB (now 2 yards less), he wasn't even player of the week, or rookie of the week, or even runner-up rookie of the week, or rookie QB of the week, or runner up rookie QB of the week. Kinda feel like he might have slipped under the media's radar? I sure do.

Oh yeah, and our running game is nothing like Seattle's or Washington's. So, comparing him to those teams is kinda like comparing high school to college ... not really a fair comparison. If you want to compare him to Indy, so be it. We had less weapons than Indy, but had a better OL than Indy. So, to say that the inexperienced Tannehill wasn't quite as good as arguably the best QB prospect in the last 20+ years isn't such a bad thing.

This year Tannehill gets Wallace and Wilson gets Harvin, two really explosive WR's. Seattle still has the better running game. Seattle's defense produces significantly more turnovers and scoring opportunities for Wilson. So, Wilson should be better this year too. But, Tannehill improves every year, and he has all the tools, and he has the mind and work ethic to keep improving, and he has the accuracy. When he gets the experience to improve his decision making, I think Tannehill will prove the better QB. And, that's no slight to Russell Wilson, who will be a very good QB in his own right.

I have a feeling everyone in seattle are drinking the koolaid and wilson will have a disapointing season

That's hilarious. I didn't know doubting Russell Wilson was a thing. When a kid comes straight out of college, as a 3rd rounder no less, and puts the kind of performance Russell did last year at the game's most difficult position, you don't doubt. There are no sure things in life, but the day Russell Wilson arrives in this league is already in the past. So he was in a great team. How did that work out for Trent Dilfer? Just fine, but no one ever mistook him for a good QB.

So if this guy called it, give him his due. Not many saw what he did in Wilson.

Back
Top Bottom