With Hartline re-signing... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With Hartline re-signing...

My gut feeling is...
We try to get Wallace...but he signs with Cleveland...
We sign Jennings.
We draft a WR with 2A.
Draft Def with #1 pick.

We resign Long.
Sean Smith is gone.

just a feeling

Long is out the door. The days of paying over $10M for a guy that doesn't make any plays should soon be over.

My gut feeling is...
We sign Jennings.
We draft a WR with 2A.
Draft Def with #1 pick.

We resign Long.
Sean Smith is gone.

just a feeling

I hope that's gas you're feeling because I'd be pissed if we don't come out with Wallace. I want to re-sign Long and replace Smith with Keenan Lewis (obvious because I have it on my sig :D ) but to me Wallace is the key to a successful offseason no matter what else we do. Not Jennings. :(

My gut feeling is...
We sign Jennings.
We draft a WR with 2A.
Draft Def with #1 pick.

We resign Long.
Sean Smith is gone.

just a feeling

I doubt Wallace goes to Cleveland to be spanked by his old team twice annually

Even with Hartline seeming in the fold, I believe Jennings will be the target.

I remember reading long ago that Philbin likes to get his receivers in the draft. I don't think they are ready to make a Superbowl push next year and our front office and coach knows that. With that in mind, I look for them to upgrade the TE position with Cook/Finley/Keller/etc and then draft 2+ receivers in the first 3 rounds.

I don't see Philbin as the type of coach who is going to spend huge money on a FA receiver when he has had so much success with his own homegrown products in the past. Re-signing Hartline AND getting a strong TE gives us flexibility to not have to reach for a WR.

We have needs at CB, S, OG, TE in a bad way, I look for most of those to be addressed in FA so we can set ourselves up to go "BPA" throughout the draft.

Just my opinion.

I remember reading long ago that Philbin likes to get his receivers in the draft. I don't think they are ready to make a Superbowl push next year and our front office and coach knows that. With that in mind, I look for them to upgrade the TE position with Cook/Finley/Keller/etc and then draft 2+ receivers in the first 3 rounds.

I don't see Philbin as the type of coach who is going to spend huge money on a FA receiver when he has had so much success with his own homegrown products in the past. Re-signing Hartline AND getting a strong TE gives us flexibility to not have to reach for a WR.

We have needs at CB, S, OG, TE in a bad way, I look for most of those to be addressed in FA so we can set ourselves up to go "BPA" throughout the draft.

Just my opinion.
Philbin's past like of drafting WRs doesn't take preeminence over that Ireland's contract renewal is on the line and has the necessity of winning and making the playoffs "this" year. Ireland and Philbin know that Wallace is a no ands ifs or buts about it. Ross is losing money if Ireland doesn't put butts in the seats. Rookie WRs that will need 2 years to develop is not happening if Ireland wants a job next year.....and "he's" calling the shots so.

If we draft Swope I see Bess being traded..
Nope.

Ryan Swope requires a year or two to grow.
Davone's contract expires this season, so unless Ryan proves me wrong by exceeding expectations, Bess will be a critical piece of this offense in 2013.

Don't count your Hartlines before they're signed. Ireland is still quite capable of pissing him off so that he walks.

of course they go after WR's in draft and FA. Hartline is part of a team last year that went 7-9. we cant just re-sign all of the same players and hope they change. new blood and our rookies developing from last year will be the key to bridging the gap with NE

Hartline resigning at 6 mil gives me an uncomfortable feeling. Consider this, he will be making more then Jordy Nelson and is nowhere near the playmaker Nelson is. Don't get me wrong I like Hartline but not at 6 mil. It scares me to think the guy making these decisions think he is worth that amount, especially when we have a critical need to upgrade the WR Corps and this is step 1. Jennings or Wallace should have been the priority here not Hartline. There is nothing wrong with letting Hartline testing the market to determine a value to others then make a decision from there.

Keep in mind that there are additional holes to plug and Ireland has already spent 1/3 of the cap space on 2 questionable signings. Not the type of start I wanted to see.

Hartline resigning at 6 mil gives me an uncomfortable feeling. Consider this, he will be making more then Jordy Nelson and is nowhere near the playmaker Nelson is. Don't get me wrong I like Hartline but not at 6 mil. It scares me to think the guy making these decisions think he is worth that amount, especially when we have a critical need to upgrade the WR Corps and this is step 1. Jennings or Wallace should have been the priority here not Hartline. There is nothing wrong with letting Hartline testing the market to determine a value to others then make a decision from there.

Keep in mind that there are additional holes to plug and Ireland has already spent 1/3 of the cap space on 2 questionable signings. Not the type of start I wanted to see.

Meh the Nelson arguement annoys me. Joe Flacco now earns more than Rodgers is he better? You can be assured next time Nelson renews his contract he will earn much more than Hartline

Meh the Nelson arguement annoys me. Joe Flacco now earns more than Rodgers is he better? You can be assured next time Nelson renews his contract he will earn much more than Hartline
The point is Hartline should not be getting more then 3/14 and no Flacco shouldn't be getting paid like that but, the Ravens had no choice. That solidifies how ridiculous contracts are becoming and I am sure you agree that because the Ravens did it doesn't make it right.

The point is Hartline should not be getting more then 3/14 and no Flacco shouldn't be getting paid like that but, the Ravens had no choice. That solidifies how ridiculous contracts are becoming and I am sure you agree that because the Ravens did it doesn't make it right.

Meh I said before this deal I would pay Hartline 5-6 million so I wont complain now. You say contracts are getting too high but well thats the business the Dolphins are in now. The Dolphins see Hartline as a good number two complimentary piece, and 6m is what those players earn nowadays. Dont blame the player blame the system.

If he hit free agency he would get 6m if he is in Philbins plan then its betterr to lock him down now. Especially with Bowe and Welker coming off the market (which only pushes Hartlines value up)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom