With the 11th pick, the Jaguars select....Dolphins need to shake things up. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With the 11th pick, the Jaguars select....Dolphins need to shake things up.

Gase is a guy that is quite expert at the QB position. The Dolphins have their starting QB coming back off of a 2 year injury. I think he'll be excellent and all will be well. That said, if the QB that Gase covets is there at 11, we're going to go get him imo. We hired Gase to fix the QB position, let him draft a QB if he loves the guy. Last year we drafted for defense but we still took Tunsil in round one. It's all about which QB Gase likes and who's available when we select.

Nick Mangold...7 time pro bowler...3 time all pro
D' Brickashaw Ferguson...3 time pro bowler
Darrelle Revis...7 time pro bowl...4 time all pro
Kris Jenkins... 4 time pro bowl...3 time all pro
Vernon Gholston...I couldn't resist sticking it to the Jets
Those are good. Jenkins drafted in 2001, Ferguson and Mangold drafted in 2006 and Revis drafted in 2007. Only problem is Tannenbaum was GM from 2006 - 2012 so Jenkins doesn't count so 3 guys in 7 drafts. I'm pretty sure they had the least amount of picks of any team during his tenure because he liked to traded up and give away picks...I think we're all familiar with all he gave away to get a WR name Leonte Carroo who doesn't even play.

At this point, we'll see who rises/falls, 2018 looks like a great draft to move down. If Miami continues to alternate between singles and strikeouts in the 1st and 2nd, it won't matter, but as of January, this Top 10 looks like the worst since 2013.

I've warmed up to the idea that we should trade down if Derwin James isn't there.

I like our team, I really like the QB and Coach, I believe they can accomplish great things. I believe Ryan Tannehill will come back better than ever but acknowledge that because of his injury it's possible that doesn't happen. Either way we benefit greatly for being the team acquiring multiple premium draft picks to assist someone else to get their QB. Unlike Cleveland and Buffalo who have recently made they types of trades, we already have own franchise QB.

If your response is that Miami should be the team taking a QB at 11, this thread isn't for you.

The Jaguars have a great defense and as physically talented a RB as I've seen this millennium.

They will likely possess the 29th and 61st pick this year. Obviously you'd have to assume their 2019 pick, as an amateur handicapper I'll put their 2019 O/U for wins at 9.5, projecting they have the 21st pick.

Josh Allen is available at 11 and the Jags offer what......to make you say yes.

29th, 61st, 2019 1st and 3rd. This type of deal would likely require us sending back a 4th and 5th over the next two drafts.

Did you say GREAT defense?

yayyyyy more mediocre avg players coming Miami's way instead of a potential game changing player at 11 like one of the top 2 linebackers in the draft (Smith & Edmunds)

And what if they turn out to be like Dion Jordan?
In 2010 the Miami Dolphins had the 12th pick in the draft but decided to trade down with San Diego picking up San Diego's 28th pick and 40th pick (2nd round pick). We picked up Jared Odrick and Koa Misi with those two picks and in the process passed up on elite talent in Earl Thomas, Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant (for some). So you think it worked out so well you'd like to do it again?

Pass.

Demaryius Thomas is not elite. He is probably going to get cut if he doesn't take a pay cut.

Demaryius Thomas is not elite. He is probably going to get cut if he doesn't take a pay cut.
But after the trade, we also passed on:
Gronk, Sean Lee, Linval Joseph , Jimmy Graham, and Golden Tate.
Sometimes it's not when you pick but who you pick.

But after the trade, we also passed on:
Gronk, Sean Lee, Linval Joseph , Jimmy Graham, and Golden Tate.
Sometimes it's not when you pick but who you pick.
I'd change the sometimes to always, which is why a good GM could do more with two or three picks than with one.

I am unfamiliar with this "Dolphinsneedtoshakethingsup" prospect. From his name, he sounds European.

Those are good. Jenkins drafted in 2001, Ferguson and Mangold drafted in 2006 and Revis drafted in 2007. Only problem is Tannenbaum was GM from 2006 - 2012 so Jenkins doesn't count so 3 guys in 7 drafts. I'm pretty sure they had the least amount of picks of any team during his tenure because he liked to traded up and give away picks...I think we're all familiar with all he gave away to get a WR name Leonte Carroo who doesn't even play.

My bad Tannebaum traded for Jenkins in 2008

He's done damn good the last 6 seasons
averaging 96 receptions,1303 yards receiving and 8.5 tds over that time period
Funny thing is he may be slowing down but would still be a #1 on this team

There aren't many historical examples of teams having a 30 year old QB going into his 6th year with a team who has never crossed the threshold into elite status, never guided a team to a playoff or playoff win, having lost an entire year to a knee injury which was reaggravated from a prior knee injury. I like Tannehill, but let's not pretend he's a sure thing. Drafting a high ceiling QB at 11 wouldn't merely be insurance, it would be investment.

QBs tend to retain some of their value, unlike other positions. Josh Allen is a good prospect. I wouldn't draft just any QB in the first round... I certainly wouldn't suggest trading up for one right now. It's just that with this particular player, at that draft slot, with this current situation, I think it makes more sense than trading away the pick...

It's likely a moot point as I don't think Allen will be there at 11.

Tannehill is currently in the Alex Smith and Andy Dalton bracket. Good vet QBs who haven't proven that they can lead their teams' to playoff success. They aren't untouchable. If there is an opportunity to upgrade them, smart teams should take it.
It's notable that neither KC or Cincinnati has felt it necessary to spend an early draft pick on a quarterback in their tenure.

I don't think *elite* means what you think it does.

There are exactly (ok, that's a bit strong, but since we're having fun here...) 2 Elite QBs -- unique and generational players -- playing: Brady and Rodgers.
There are a handful of *Franchise* QBs -- a couple of down games, but almost always good seasons and no appreciable limitations to their game (to name some, because now we're getting deep into into the range of opinion): Rothlisberger, Brees, Wilson
There are handful more of *very good*QBs -- whole seasons can run hot or cold and/or have an area of the game that is below starter level of play: Smith, Ryan, Flacco, Newton, Stafford, Rivers, Manning, Carr, Prescott, Tannehill.

We can argue about who is *very good* vs. *Franchise* and about my definitions.

I also think this is why some people think we should *just* draft someone better than Tannehill. They think there are lots of QBs who are, or would be, better, when in fact, it's a crapshoot unless you are drafting in the top 3.
I throw Brees in there as elite.

It's notable that neither KC or Cincinnati has felt it necessary to spend an early draft pick on a quarterback in their tenure.

Huh? KC moved up in the first round last year to draft Patrick Mahomes

Back
Top Bottom