With the 29th pick the Dolphins select… | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With the 29th pick the Dolphins select…

I like him too, but I think he should've done more, being the only target really and having really good QBs he should have done better. I know he had 93 receptions, but only 6 TDs. 13.8 avg is not special either, Next receiver behind him had 7 TDs and 57 receptions. I think that ability to separate and get into the endzone is lacking with Bell. We'll see how he tests, hopefully.

I think he separates well and maximizes yardage well in general. He averaged over 100 yards per game over his career, which is pretty rare when including the freshman year. Averaged better than a TD per game in 2020. He's not fast, but neither was/is J. Rice, C. Carter, A. Boldin, A. Brown, D. Hopkins, A. Robinson, C. Kupp, T. Higgins, C. Lamb. Bell is tough, does the little things well, and plays with high-end balance and coordination. He's also one of the best WR's at breaking tackles in this class - only London had a better rate of missed tackles forced.

I think he separates well and maximizes yardage well in general. He averaged over 100 yards per game over his career, which is pretty rare when including the freshman year. Averaged better than a TD per game in 2020. He's not fast, but neither was/is J. Rice, C. Carter, A. Boldin, A. Brown, D. Hopkins, A. Robinson, C. Kupp, T. Higgins, C. Lamb. Bell is tough, does the little things well, and plays with high-end balance and coordination. He's also one of the best WR's at breaking tackles in this class - only London had a better rate of missed tackles forced.

I agree with all you guys, But, little things in top rounds make huge difference. Trade value chart reflects that. If Bell does not test great and production wise he is at 13.8 avg and 6 TD on 93 receptions, there are issue with separating after the catch, and in my mind he will slide. And in my mind he will always be a mid tier receiver -- not a top dog. For now, I will give him the benefit and wait for combine and see where he stacks up against the field as far as athletic profile.

Still working on those guys. Have exposure to Ross, but there's a fair amount to parse, given the injury and decline in play. Have to find where the rubber meets the road with him.
Who are the best at separation in this class? Thanks again. I listed players who are bigger, who might complement Waddle well.

Agree with you on Ross. I liked him a few years ago. But a lot has happened since.

I agree with all you guys, But, little things in top rounds make huge difference. Trade value chart reflects that. If Bell does not test great and production wise he is at 13.8 avg and 6 TD on 93 receptions, there are issue with separating after the catch, and in my mind he will slide. And in my mind he will always be a mid tier receiver -- not a top dog. For now, I will give him the benefit and wait for combine and see where he stacks up against the field as far as athletic profile.

The defense knows Bell is Purdue's passing offense, and he excelled despite extra attention. With that understanding, his YPR is solid/good. When I watch Bell, I see a player that squeezes extra inches that often lead to big plays. I think he's 4.55 or better, which is completely fine for a WR who wins in the ways that Bell does. 4.60 wouldn't bother me, but I think he's faster than that. WR is primarily about 1) what kind of target opportunities can you present to your QB?/how reliable are you as a target? And 2) what can you do with the ball in your hands?

David Bell wins across the field (underrated quickness), catches almost everything, and consistently makes defenders miss/runs through tackle attempts. When other players struggle to maintain their balance, Bell keeps his, and he consistently makes the play. When you have a WR with those qualities, I think it's unwise to project a ceiling defined by something like a 40 time.

Who are the best at separation in this class? Thanks again. I listed players who are bigger, who might complement Waddle well.

Agree with you on Ross. I liked him a few years ago. But a lot has happened since.

Garrett Wilson is the best. Williams and Olave are the best deep. Burks, London, and Bell are all underrated by the way we define separation. They present larger windows than typical receivers and are excellent uncovering late and winning tough/contested catches. Awsi and Slimm have harped on it, but a tough, reliable receiver is super valuable. If that guy has the tools to make explosive plays (can come in a lot of forms at WR), then he's a superstar.

Garrett Wilson is the best. Williams and Olave are the best deep. Burks, London, and Bell are all underrated by the way we define separation. They present larger windows than typical receivers and are excellent uncovering late and winning tough/contested catches. Awsi and Slimm have harped on it, but a tough, reliable receiver is super valuable. If that guy has the tools to make explosive plays (can come in a lot of forms at WR), then he's a superstar.
Good point on defining separation. In that sense guys like Parker are always open. Now if he was always on the field!

I would be happy with Bell, more at 50 than 29. But I do think he'd be a good fit.

I discounted Watson a little bit because of level of competition. He is always wide open. But then he was doing the same at the Senior Bowl. So, he's on my radar.

Good point on defining separation. In that sense guys like Parker are always open. Now if he was always on the field!

I would be happy with Bell, more at 50 than 29. But I do think he'd be a good fit.

I discounted Watson a little bit because of level of competition. He is always wide open. But then he was doing the same at the Senior Bowl. So, he's on my radar.

Thing with Parker is that his intensity level is inconsistent. If you're going to be that kind of WR, the QB has to trust you to make a real effort on the ball. I also think he's kind of an extreme example. These guys are all better at creating separation than Parker, and they all play with better strength and balance.

I don't like Drake London for the reason that he reminds me of Parker. He is hurt and inconsistent in same sense Played something like 8 games in 2021, 6 in 2020, 8 in 2019. I know we need a big target to replace Parker, we are kind of desperate. but I do not see it in this draft other than Burks who I think will be gone at 29 in spite of projections.

Any interest in drafting Sam Howell at #29 to give Tua some competition?

The defense knows Bell is Purdue's passing offense, and he excelled despite extra attention. With that understanding, his YPR is solid/good. When I watch Bell, I see a player that squeezes extra inches that often lead to big plays. I think he's 4.55 or better, which is completely fine for a WR who wins in the ways that Bell does. 4.60 wouldn't bother me, but I think he's faster than that. WR is primarily about 1) what kind of target opportunities can you present to your QB?/how reliable are you as a target? And 2) what can you do with the ball in your hands?

David Bell wins across the field (underrated quickness), catches almost everything, and consistently makes defenders miss/runs through tackle attempts. When other players struggle to maintain their balance, Bell keeps his, and he consistently makes the play. When you have a WR with those qualities, I think it's unwise to project a ceiling defined by something like a 40 time.
After watching Bell dominate almost everyone in the B1G I think he’s exactly the kind of receiver McD would want here (assuming he’s following the same formula as Shanahan in SF). It’s hard to gauge where he’ll go but if he tests well I don’t see him making it out of the second round. He might even work his way back not the late first round if his underwear workouts are above serviceable.

Any interest in drafting Sam Howell at #29 to give Tua some competition?

No. I have interest in Ridder at 29 and that's about it for QBs at 29. As far as Howell, I have no interest in any round or UDFA.

Back
Top Bottom