With the 29th pick the Dolphins select… | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With the 29th pick the Dolphins select…

Pickens is this year’s Preston Williams. Tons of talent but comes with baggage.
That’s extremely unfair towards Pickens. He can be an idiot on the field but as far as I know his only off field issue at UGA was whatever got him suspended for 1/2 a game against GT his freshman year. Other than that nothing off the field, compared to Preston Williams who got kicked off his college team for stalking a woman

That’s extremely unfair towards Pickens. He can be an idiot on the field but as far as I know his only off field issue at UGA was whatever got him suspended for 1/2 a game against GT his freshman year. Other than that nothing off the field, compared to Preston Williams who got kicked off his college team for stalking a woman

He was already suspended for the first half of the GT game for violation of team rules. He didn’t even make it through the 3rd quarter without getting suspended for the rest of the game, AND the first half of the next game (SEC Championship Game vs LSU) for fighting with Tre Swilling and throwing punches.

This all came after he got his team penalized 15 yards on a play where he wasn’t even on the field against Tennessee. The play where he was sitting on the bench and jumped up and squirted Jarrett Guarantano in the face with his water bottle.

Pickens has had numerous instances like this. He’s gotten into a lot of other fights with DB’s where he didn’t get suspended, but cost his team penalties. This has been his issue since high school. I watched him do it several times in person playing for Hoover.

It’s why Saban stopped recruiting him.

I went into some detail about him on the first page in my Underclassman WR thread pinned at the top of this forum nearly a year ago now.

Pickens is talented but has demonstrated that he’s extremely immature and a loose cannon. He comes by it honest - because I also watched his dad. Also a loose cannon, but was probably the best WR in the AFC for most of his career in the early to mid 90’s.

Pickens had to grow up, and fast. Perhaps he’s on his way to doing that. But there’s no way to minimize the problems he’s caused for himself and his football team. Both in high school and in college. I haven’t missed any of ‘em.

He was already suspended for the first half of the GT game for violation of team rules. He didn’t even make it through the 3rd quarter without getting suspended for the rest of the game, AND the first half of the next game (SEC Championship Game vs LSU) for fighting with Tre Swilling and throwing punches.

This all came after he got his team penalized 15 yards on a play where he wasn’t even on the field against Tennessee. The play where he was sitting on the bench and jumped up and squirted Jarrett Guarantano in the face with his water bottle.

Pickens has had numerous instances like this. He’s gotten into a lot of other fights with DB’s where he didn’t get suspended, but cost his team penalties. This has been his issue since high school. I watched him do it several times in person playing for Hoover.

It’s why Saban stopped recruiting him.

I went into some detail about him on the first page in my Underclassman WR thread pinned at the top of this forum nearly a year ago now.

Pickens is talented but has demonstrated that he’s extremely immature and a loose cannon. He comes by it honest - because I also watched his dad. Also a loose cannon, but was probably the best WR in the AFC for most of his career in the early to mid 90’s.

Pickens had to grow up, and fast. Perhaps he’s on his way to doing that. But there’s no way to minimize the problems he’s caused for himself and his football team. Both in high school and in college. I haven’t missed any of ‘em.
Tennessee game was the year after the GT & LSU suspensions but yeah I mentioned the 1st half of the GT game was the only time I knew of that he got suspended for something off the field. He’s definitely an idiot on the field sometimes, I’m just saying in my mind there’s a huge difference between being immature and getting penalties on the field vs stalking and endangering a woman/some of the other red flags guys come out with and get drafted with (Micah parsons too). Him coming back to play after tearing his ACL in the spring was a step in the right direction in terms of maturity and being a team player too

As to Saban stopping recruiting him, wasn’t he in the same recruiting class as Antonio Alfano? I think those types of red flags are much more concerning than the on field immaturity.

Pain in the a$$ WR's are way down on my list of things this team needs.

He has talent but he is not the kind of generational player you would gamble on figuring it out.

It is more than likely that he will never change.

Tennessee game was the year after the GT & LSU suspensions but yeah I mentioned the 1st half of the GT game was the only time I knew of that he got suspended for something off the field. He’s definitely an idiot on the field sometimes, I’m just saying in my mind there’s a huge difference between being immature and getting penalties on the field vs stalking and endangering a woman/some of the other red flags guys come out with and get drafted with (Micah parsons too). Him coming back to play after tearing his ACL in the spring was a step in the right direction in terms of maturity and being a team player too

As to Saban stopping recruiting him, wasn’t he in the same recruiting class as Antonio Alfano? I think those types of red flags are much more concerning than the on field immaturity.

Yep. I never understood why Alabama was recruiting Alfano, and then Saban actually offered him a scholarship. Never understood it.

I feel like if we just move Hunt back to RT, we can just throw money at a LT, and look for a C and G later in the draft. I think Austin Jackson can be saved, he looked much better as a guard and is athletic enough to pull, more so than Hunt.
Maybe better but he still wasn’t “good” at guard. At least a penalty a game if I had to guess

What the new staff does with Jackson will be interesting.

Can they find the spot where he belongs?

Can he salvage what is becoming a failed career?

Busting on #16 overall really hurts.

In fact, that whole 1st round looks bad in hindsight.

What the new staff does with Jackson will be interesting.

Can they find the spot where he belongs?

Can he salvage what is becoming a failed career?

Busting on #16 overall really hurts.

In fact, that whole 1st round looks bad in hindsight.

Pick 18, but the point stands.

David Bell is probably the best WR that will be available, and I think he can be a great pro.

I like Bell a lot. Watching him play this year he just looked like one of those guys who is going to be a quality NFL starter for a decade, a real Pro.

I am holding out hope that Williams will slide due to his injury but that isn't happening.

My plan at #29 would be BPA or trade down, I am not aiming for WR or any other position of need.

Or possibly a slight trade up if an attractive target like Linderbaum or London or Williams does slide a bit.

I like Bell a lot. Watching him play this year he just looked like one of those guys who is going to be a quality NFL starter for a decade, a real Pro.

I like him too, but I think he should've done more, being the only target really and having really good QBs he should have done better. I know he had 93 receptions, but only 6 TDs. 13.8 avg is not special either, Next receiver behind him had 7 TDs and 57 receptions. I think that ability to separate and get into the endzone is lacking with Bell. We'll see how he tests, hopefully.

I like him too, but I think he should've done more, being the only target really and having really good QBs he should have done better. I know he had 93 receptions, but only 6 TDs. 13.8 avg is not special either, Next receiver behind him had 7 TDs and 57 receptions. I think that ability to separate and get into the endzone is lacking with Bell. We'll see how he tests, hopefully.
He may never be a big play guy but i expect he will show up, get open, and catch the ball consistently for many years in the NFL.

Now that Miami hired the Boston College offensive line coach, I wonder if Johnson is a dark horse at 29. I think that might be a little early for him, but not unreasonably too soon.

Playing center at the Senior Bowl may have helped him as well.

Back
Top Bottom