Worst Coaches of All Time, Ranked #1-50! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worst Coaches of All Time, Ranked #1-50!

Only problem with your analysis is that you fail to realize that just because someone was a bad head coach it does not mean they are also a bad coordinator. Nolan and Capers are highly respected coordinators in this league. Given your same logic the Patriots would also be a laughing stock because they too employed several of the coaches on that list as coordinators.

I don't disagree with your logic nor was mine ever that many of the coaches on that list weren't/aren't very good coordinators. However you look at it though, an inordinantly high number of those goofs were coaches for the Dolphins. Heck, Wanny was an excellent DC, Cam is still a good OC and Saban is obviously an exceptional college coach but they really sucked as head coaches for the Dolphins.

I would hesitate to call too many of our coaches terrible. Saban had us with a winning record in his first year and a bad gamble on a quarterback is what made 2006 so dreadful, but he still managed to win 6 games. Cam Cameron had a terrible first year but he has to be given an incomplete. Sparano had us in the playoffs in our first year and the team was always competitive even if they always hovered just under .500. Wannstedt is the truly terrible one, as the team got worse every year after he arrived.

that list is awful.. there are worse coaches out there. josh mcdaniels wasnt the 2nd worst coach. where the hell was bobby petrino? now that was a horrible coach. nick saban had one losing season. what about george seifert for the panthers? bleacher report is meh

They certainly didn't put a lot of effort into that list. The majority are from the late 1990s and 2000s. Weren't there bad coaches before then?

I think that posting of Bleacher Report should be required to put "BLEACHER REPORT:" or "BR:" in the post title so I can avoid clicking on them.

The problem with Mike Singletary was that he never GA'd anywhere, or worked his way up the coaching ranks. Thus, he never really learned HOW to coach, both at the micro and macro level. Singletary is a perfect example of someone who got the opportunity to coach based strictly off his player legacy.

The difference in styles between Jim Harbaugh and Mike Singletary couldn't be more different, despite both having played under Mike Ditka. Singletary was a "big picture" guy who didn't focus on the details. I've heard 49er players talk about how Singletary didn't even attend installation meetings. He didn't even know what was being called or why they called it. His style was more a 'yeller' and a 'motivator'.

Harbaugh on the other hand, is extremely detail oriented. The best coaches usually are. They chalk it, talk it, walk it, run it... then chalk it, talk it, walk it, and run it some more. Harbaugh learned how to be so detail oriented from his days under Bo Schembechler at Michigan, and from his dad. Coaching is in the Harbaugh DNA.

Singletary was hired to be head coach without even having been a coordinator, only a position coach. If he had taken a coaching career seriously, he would've GA'd somewhere and learned HOW to be detail oriented. Singletary was a guy who enjoyed having a public platform to promote his views and opinions, rather than focusing on the details of coaching.

NFL players making 7 and 8 figures tend not to respond to yelling or pulling your pants down. They respond to competence.

Back
Top Bottom