Worst LB in football? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worst LB in football?

The worst think kiko did on that first gif was not attack the los post snap reading his keys instead he flowed laterally almost like he wanted to take away both sides of the post snap guard gaps. Which allowed for more north south day light for the back to run thru once he eluded Jordan Phillips less than ideal angle to work with. Nothing Phillips did wrong there and it flashes his gifts at 335 lbs even. Definite delay in kikos post snap play there but he's also 5 yards off the ball pre snap. Although im aware that he's that far off so he can fill north and south with momentum. Still he has to read the keys and fill north south there thud the guard and let his teammates clean up.

If you want someone more fit for that role that's Raekwon McMillan all the way.

This teams definitely more prepared for that kind of gimmick downhill offense in 2017 should teams want to employ it. However that kinda 3 guys in the backfield etc stuff is found mostly by teams that don't have qbs.

The second gif the play is blown up by suh who hulk smashed the center which is what suh does to cats and Kiko filled perfectly.

Belichick once said that 90% of defensive errors are presnap. I say that b/c Alonso is aligned with his toes at 6 yards off. So he is either misaligned or he is being coached to do so. MLB's are generally coached to have their heels at 5 yards. So right off the bat he is at a disadvantage vs the run.

Last edited:
I'd have to think that offset look pre snap with the lbs would be coaching. Possibly to provide for a more direct horizontal route to the perimeter of the field if cover responsibility from the middle. The mike basically has a horizontal line all the way across the field for where he needs to meet the football otherwise he's late or an athletic liability if he can't get there

That horizontal line is something im gonna be looking for with Raekwons reps at mike in the preseason. Cause I have reservations on it

I mentioned the misalignment as sort of a tongue-in-cheek comment b/c it was something that seems to be only what Alonso did. Watching the Arizona game and Hull had his heels 5 yards off and he actually did a pretty damn job against one of the best, if not the best, RB's in David Johnson.

Why would you coach or align yourself a full yard off the ball than usual when we continuously had troubles stopping the run? To offset Alonso's lack of strength at the POA with hopes that he could run around blocks? But then you're removing yourself from the proper fit and lane fill which is something we did see a lot from him last season.

The only use I could see would be in the Tampa 2 coverages we called but we didn't use it frequently enough to align that way almost every down. Even then the only advantage stands for the MLB to drop into the deep middle quicker as you're not fooling the offense since it's a dead giveaway to the coverage.

Lb alignment vs the zone read will be something I pay attention to this season. I feel like I've seen plenty of offsets in the past with the mike further off the ball but what the offensive personnel alignments and formation were I don't know.

If it is brain fart stuff you'd get lit up in the film study room for it and I would think it wouldn't be a repeat thing in terms of games or really even possessions cause the coaches get stills and or I pad pre snap alignment looks real time. They'd light you up for being aligned wrong

Last edited:
There a four fundamental qualities a LB must possess: pursuit, block destruction, tackling, and takeaways. Having just a few of those doesn't equate to a top 50 pick. Alonso's angles are unacceptable at times and he can't shed a block to save the run game.

I think thats an understatement; Alonso's angles are bad the majority of the time and no player with his level of explosiveness has ever been good at shedding( he had a 30 inch vert on his pro day), athleticism is extremely important at all LB positions and no amount of Instincts is going to offset his lack of explosiveness and change of direction.

Back
Top Bottom