Would the FO have the balls to do this and draft a QB | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would the FO have the balls to do this and draft a QB

the VAST MAJORITY of NFL teams are attempting to win a SB without constantly thrashing around for a QB. It is just not realistic and NO FRANCHISE operates that way. The only teams that are drafting QBs high with regularity are repeatedly missing on their picks or pickups (Cleveland, Houston, St Louis, Philly, SF).

They can attempt all they want, but they aren't winning a SB unless they are luckier than those teams that managed to get elite QB talent. I hate the eagerness to settle for a mediocre QB from so many of you. You get a top QB and you are going to be relevant every year and without one you are just struggling to make the playoffs with next to no shot of winning a championship. This is why all a teams resources should be focused on getting a great QB.

They can attempt all they want, but they aren't winning a SB unless they are luckier than those teams that managed to get elite QB talent. I hate the eagerness to settle for a mediocre QB from so many of you. You get a top QB and you are going to be relevant every year and without one you are just struggling to make the playoffs with next to no shot of winning a championship. This is why all a teams resources should be focused on getting a great QB.

Eli Manning
Joe Flacco
Russell Wilson

3 of the last 4 SBs were won by teams that did not have elite QBs. That's a pretty good percentage.

Don't get into the circular argument about whether they are elite because then won the SB. I can find numerous articles from legit sources that at least question whether every one of them is elite or not.

"you probably would have gotten the top 5 pick if you didn't fire the HC. the team quit on him, they showed a little life under the interim."

You would've had a top 5 pick if you were smart enough to lose the last game of the year. The edict should've come down from the top: "find a way to lose this game!"
We lost 5 spots of draft position just to make Dan Campbell feel better. We still played like crap on offense most of the day. If not for a circus catch by Parker we never even take the lead there.
All you have to do is sub in bums and have Campbell tell the media that "it was important to have some guys get some play on film for us to evaluate". That's perfectly reasonable for non-playoff teams to do that.

We lost 2 spots (I believe) not 5. Three teams finished 5-11. Jax would still pick ahead of us due to strength of schedule. I believe we dropped from 6 to 8. I seriously doubt Miami would be targeting a single player. They likely have 3 or 4 in mind and one of those will be available at 8. The biggest downsides to 8 vs 6 is that the pick is worth less if teams want to move up and it will cost more to go up if the Fins want to do that. But staying put and picking a player? There is little difference for a team with so many holes. They are only going to fill one in each round.

Eli Manning
Joe Flacco
Russell Wilson

3 of the last 4 SBs were won by teams that did not have elite QBs. That's a pretty good percentage.

Don't get into the circular argument about whether they are elite because then won the SB. I can find numerous articles from legit sources that at least question whether every one of them is elite or not.

To solidify my point, here is ESPN's QB Tiers from before the 2015 season: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/2015-nfl-qb-tier-rankings/story?id=32652348

None of the QB's I listed were in tier 1, even though they had already won SBs. This years final 4 has two of the QBs listed in tier 1 (although Manning isn't playing that way). Newton was projected at 14 and Palmer at 15. According to the people here, both of those teams should have drafted QBs last year. Tannehill was at 17. Both Palmer and Newton had career years, in large part due to the tremendous teams around them.

In short:

THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL MIAMI IS DRAFTING A QB EARLY. NONE.

Eli Manning
Joe Flacco
Russell Wilson

elite QBs are not required to win a SB but those guys were really good and some of them played like they were elite in big games.

I'm all for a 3rd/4th on a QB every 3 years. You need to continually be looking for "that guy." We did it wrong ever since Marino, and that is why we have been looking for a real QB for the last 15 years. You need to make it a part of your institutional plan to do so. It doesn't have to be every 3rd, but between 2 to 4 years...depending on who is coming out and what the last guy is producing...you need to keep doing it. If you don't...you end up like the Dolphins...

Eli Manning
Joe Flacco
Russell Wilson

Those QB's are light years ahead of Tannehill, all them have more post season wins (and better record) than the great and magnificent Aaron Rodgers - look it up. Those guys have came up huge in the playoffs, Tannehill cant do that in the regular season when mattered the most.

I'm all for a 3rd/4th on a QB every 3 years. You need to continually be looking for "that guy." We did it wrong ever since Marino, and that is why we have been looking for a real QB for the last 15 years. You need to make it a part of your institutional plan to do so. It doesn't have to be every 3rd, but between 2 to 4 years...depending on who is coming out and what the last guy is producing...you need to keep doing it. If you don't...you end up like the Dolphins...

These are the QBs that were drafted in the 3rd round or later and were starters at the beginning of the season:

McCown - trying to replace him
Taylor - probably not the long term answer
Romo
Hoyer - in and out of the lineup
Fitzpatrick - career journeyman
Wilson
Brady
Foles - lost starting job
Cousins

That's 4 guys out of probably hundreds of candidates. The odds of hitting one of those guys is tiny. in contrast, 20 of the opening day starters were drafted in the first round with several more in the 2nd round.

You don't find starting QBs late. Draft starting QBs early when you need one. Build a team around him (including a backup QB) until you decide that the starter is not the long term answer. If he isn't, draft another EARLY. Maybe you get lucky and the guy you thought would be your backup becomes the starter (Brady, Cousins, Wilson, Romo) but that cannot be your strategy.

Miami's mistake since Marino was not due to not drafting a QB every few years. It was NEVER drafting a QB early. They tried the later round picks via the draft or trade for years. It doesn't work. If you try it, you end up like the Dolphins were for so many years.

I cannot understand why this isn't obvious.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Those QB's are light years ahead of Tannehill, all them have more post season wins (and better record) than the great and magnificent Aaron Rodgers - look it up. Those guys have came up huge in the playoffs, Tannehill cant do that in the regular season when mattered the most.

Sorry, don't agree and neither do most people outside Tannehaterville.

These are the QBs that were drafted in the 3rd round or later and were starters at the beginning of the season:

Romo
Wilson
Brady
Cousins

That's 4 guys out of probably hundreds of candidates. The odds of hitting one of those guys is tiny. in contrast, 20 of the opening day starters were drafted in the first round with several more in the 2nd round.

You don't find starting QBs late. Draft starting QBs early when you need one. Build a team around him (including a backup QB) until you decide that the starter is not the long term answer. If he isn't, draft another EARLY. Maybe you get lucky and the guy you thought would be your backup becomes the starter (Brady, Cousins, Wilson, Romo) but that cannot be your strategy.

Miami's mistake since Marino was not due to not drafting a QB every few years. It was NEVER drafting a QB early. They tried the later round picks via the draft or trade for years. It doesn't work. If you try it, you end up like the Dolphins were for so many years.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

there is not one person in this league who thinks Ryan is better than those QBs or even anywhere nears as good or even has the potential to be as good.

there is not one person in this league who thinks Ryan is better than those QBs or even anywhere nears as good or even has the potential to be as good.

I take it you've spoken to everybody in the league?

I can prove you wrong. Here is one of the comments on Tannehill from the ranking:

A different director called Tannehill a 2 with the potential to reach the top tier based on athleticism and potential for positional growth after playing receiver in college.

Here are some quotes about Flacco:

Some question Flacco for the same reason they question Wilson. Both have played for teams with strong defenses and ground games, making their jobs easier. A GM who placed Flacco in the second tier said he could make a case for him as a 3, noting nearly identical career stat lines for Flacco and Andy Dalton in winning percentage, yards per attempt and passer rating. Their career Total QBR scores are also right around 53, just ahead of Ryan Tannehill.

A personnel director placed Flacco in the third tier, saying that Flacco has played his best games at the right times, and that he considered it more anomaly than a sign of Flacco possessing some sort of clutch gene.

And Manning

Manning received 10 votes in the third tier, matching the total for the 11 quarterbacks listed ahead of him in the rankings.

So there are NFL personnel directors that directly refute your assumption that not one person in the league thinks Tannehill is any where near as good as two SB winners.

The idea the everybody in the league shares your opinion is (a) ludicrous for you to suggest and (b) wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Romo
Wilson
Brady
Cousins

Haha what's there to disagree about? That's like me saying the sky is blue and you saying "sorry I disagree" unless you are color blind or in the case Homer blind because the fact is Tannehill has never came thru in the clutch like the QBs that were mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha what's there to agree about? That's like me saying the sky is blue and you saying "sorry I disagree" unless you are color blind or in the case Homer blind because the fact is Tannehill has never came thru in the clutch like the QBs that were mentioned.

I disagree that those guys are light years better and so do plenty of other people. Sorry if that hurts.

I disagree that those guys are light years better and so do plenty of other people. Sorry if that hurts.

Sorry if it hurts that those guys are more accomplished and were more accomplished during their first 4 years. What has Tannehill done?

Back
Top Bottom