Would the FO have the balls to do this and draft a QB | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would the FO have the balls to do this and draft a QB

I disagree that those guys are light years better and so do plenty of other people. Sorry if that hurts.

RT has been a zero in big games, he isn't in their league except in garbage time. All 3 of those guys are light years better when it matters, they are the anti-Tannehill.

Drafting a qb in the first would result in a media circus every week and pressure to play the rookie after every bad throw Tannehill makes. It's been the downfall of many experienced head coaches, let alone a first year coach.

RT has been a zero in big games, he isn't in their league except in garbage time. All 3 of those guys are light years better when it matters, they are the anti-Tannehill.

Nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Sorry if it hurts that those guys are more accomplished and were more accomplished during their first 4 years. What has Tannehill done?

He has played pretty well.

Blake's OPINIONS = facts

Anyone else's opinions = opinions. "Wrong opinions"

People like you are just gems to try to have intelligent conversations with.

These are the QBs that were drafted in the 3rd round or later and were starters at the beginning of the season:

McCown - trying to replace him
Taylor - probably not the long term answer
Romo
Hoyer - in and out of the lineup
Fitzpatrick - career journeyman
Wilson
Brady
Foles - lost starting job
Cousins

That's 4 guys out of probably hundreds of candidates. The odds of hitting one of those guys is tiny. in contrast, 20 of the opening day starters were drafted in the first round with several more in the 2nd round.

You don't find starting QBs late. Draft starting QBs early when you need one. Build a team around him (including a backup QB) until you decide that the starter is not the long term answer. If he isn't, draft another EARLY. Maybe you get lucky and the guy you thought would be your backup becomes the starter (Brady, Cousins, Wilson, Romo) but that cannot be your strategy.

Miami's mistake since Marino was not due to not drafting a QB every few years. It was NEVER drafting a QB early. They tried the later round picks via the draft or trade for years. It doesn't work. If you try it, you end up like the Dolphins were for so many years.

I cannot understand why this isn't obvious.

So what? Just because there were 20 1st round picks starting doesn't mean there were 20 good QB's being trotted out there. All it means is there were that many teams that were stuck with the crappy 1st round pick the had and are forced to trot them out there. Many get the start just because of where the were picked...the GM/coach doesn't have the balls to bench them. I love the fact that someone had the balls to bench RGIII and tell the owner to STFU and start Cousins...a 4th rounder.

Also, having followed the Dolphins for 43 years...I really don't recall a big history of us doing 3rd/4th rounders that didn't work out. We had a bunch of VERY late rounders...like 10th and later...but that isn't near to the same thing...

Let's look at some in the area I am talking...Joe Theisman (4th)...he had a pretty damn good career if I remember right...or do they let anyone in the HOF? Don Strock (5th)...he didn't exactly suck. Brad Wright (4th)...miss...Dean May (5th) miss...Scott Mitchell (4th) was a good backup with us, then went to the hell that is Detroit and became a pickoff machine...

You can also say we have had just as many bad early picks....Pat White...Chad Henne...John Beck...so, picking them early gives you just as bad result.

The point is that recently we have moved to this "desperation early round" crap because we don't do QB picking at a regular interval.

Just a random questions here- of the games Tannehill has fought and brought us back and in position to win, how many times has the defense **** the bed? I know there are a fair amount but GB and Denver last year come right to mind. Can anyone else find examples?

and to the haters- I realize there aren't going back to be a TON of examples. But it just goes to show how "the facts" show he never wins in the 4th quarter. When infact he has put us into that position in the past. Obviously not all 16 games in a season will apply for that criteria - but he HAS led comebacks. The other team just ends up scoring on us. So this mantra of "he never does this, he never does that" is entirely bogus. FinFaninBuff has got to be tired of presenting evidence disputing those bogus claims

Blake's OPINIONS = facts

Anyone else's opinions = opinions. "Wrong opinions"

People like you are just gems to try to have intelligent conversations with.

It's simple facts really, Travis. Tannehill has a losing record as a starter. Pretty much sums everything up. And ZERO playoff appearances....we've had opportunities to be in the post season but Tannehill wasnt able to get it done. I'm just stating what we all have seen. Anything else are just excuses for his crappy play in the big games.

But you guys keep wishing and hoping he will make us a playoff team. He just needs another 4 years, right?

Okay, one fact you've got there - we've been a losing team.

team.

TEAM...

So you've presented A fact, yet everything else you post is opinion. Your opinion has no more merit than anyone else's, sorry to burst your illogical bubble. Take a step back and look at this whole team, you still come away with Tannehill has been the problem... lol ok. But then again weren't you the guy who said we've been putting him in a position to succeed his whole career pretty much?

Lol

Lol

Lol

Lol

:lol:

Just a random questions here- of the games Tannehill has fought and brought us back and in position to win, how many times has the defense **** the bed? I know there are a fair amount but GB and Denver last year come right to mind. Can anyone else find examples?

and to the haters- I realize there aren't going back to be a TON of examples. But it just goes to show how "the facts" show he never wins in the 4th quarter. When infact he has put us into that position in the past. Obviously not all 16 games in a season will apply for that criteria - but he HAS led comebacks. The other team just ends up scoring on us. So this mantra of "he never does this, he never does that" is entirely bogus. FinFaninBuff has got to be tired of presenting evidence disputing those bogus claims

Your right he has led a very small amount of comebacks, but he just hasnt done it enough or winning in general. Its plain and simple, he's decent but not good enough to ever consistently get us in the playoffs, let alone win a playoff game. I keep waiting for Tannehill to prove me wrong, but he just doesn't step up his game when we need him. If he can't do that in the regular season, how am I to expect more from him in the playoffs?

Also, having followed the Dolphins for 43 years...I really don't recall a big history of us doing 3rd/4th rounders that didn't work out. We had a bunch of VERY late rounders...like 10th and later...but that isn't near to the same thing...

Let's look at some in the area I am talking...Joe Theisman (4th)...he had a pretty damn good career if I remember right...or do they let anyone in the HOF? Don Strock (5th)...he didn't exactly suck. Brad Wright (4th)...miss...Dean May (5th) miss...Scott Mitchell (4th) was a good backup with us, then went to the hell that is Detroit and became a pickoff machine...

How many years did it take Theismann to be a high level QB, 7 or 8? Are you willing to give Tannehill the same amount of time? I liked Strock but come on he was nothing more than a relief pitcher, 22 games started and his top year was 900 yards passing, career back up. Scott Mitchell, good grief, he should be the poster child of why you shouldn't draft 4th round qb's.

[/COLOR]So what? Just because there were 20 1st round picks starting doesn't mean there were 20 good QB's being trotted out there. All it means is there were that many teams that were stuck with the crappy 1st round pick the had and are forced to trot them out there. Many get the start just because of where the were picked...the GM/coach doesn't have the balls to bench them. I love the fact that someone had the balls to bench RGIII and tell the owner to STFU and start Cousins...a 4th rounder.

You can also say we have had just as many bad early picks....Pat White...Chad Henne...John Beck...so, picking them early gives you just as bad result.

The point is that recently we have moved to this "desperation early round" crap because we don't do QB picking at a regular interval.

NFL teams do not find starting QBs in the later rounds very often. Sorry, but those are just the facts. If your strategy is the right way to find a starter, why do so few teams do it?

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Your right he has led a very small amount of comebacks, but he just hasnt done it enough or winning in general. Its plain and simple, he's decent but not good enough to ever consistently get us in the playoffs, let alone win a playoff game. I keep waiting for Tannehill to prove me wrong, but he just doesn't step up his game when we need him. If he can't do that in the regular season, how am I to expect more from him in the playoffs?

#AllAboutTheQB

You don't move on from players with high potential after 4 damn years.

Got better every year, correcting issues also each season? Dismissed. Those things don't matter. Major criticism last year was the deep ball, looking hell of a lot better now. People say he isn't accurate also, which is about the biggest damn joke you could say. Okay maybe he could improve his pocket presence a bit- but the haters claim the line isn't an issue in that department. "when he has time he still doesn't do anything good" .... Utter bull****. Okay so I guess we're left with his "unclutchness" which okay... You got us there, he could be more clutch but don't let any of the other crippling factors that were with the WHOLE TEAM play any part in that.

Sorry I may have gotten a little off track on that rant but whatever

How many years did it take Theismann to be a high level QB, 7 or 8? Are you willing to give Tannehill the same amount of time? I liked Strock but come on he was nothing more than a relief pitcher, 22 games started and his top year was 900 yards passing, career back up. Scott Mitchell, good grief, he should be the poster child of why you shouldn't draft 4th round qb's.

It is not even worth the discussion. Several posters have made the same claim. There is no evidence that it is an effective strategy for finding a very good starting QB.

I'd love to see the evidence that it works.

Back
Top Bottom