WR Mike Walker UCF ran a 4.28 today?!? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Mike Walker UCF ran a 4.28 today?!?

FinNasty

"The Sticker Dunk"
Reaction score
There is no link... but I was just listening to NFL Radio on Sirus Radio. They were doing "Draft Diarys"... and having players come on the radio that were going to be drafted this spring.

There was that WR from Eastern Carolina(cant remember his name)... and then Lawerence Timmons came on. He was talking about how he is training for the combine in Florida with a bunch of other players including some Canes like Merriweather.

When the guy on NFL Radio asked Timmons who he has been most impressed with so far down there... he said Mike Walker from UCF, because he ran a 4.28 40 yard dash today! :eek:

Now, he went on to say that the time is obviously unofficial, but if he even runs in the 4.3's... his stock is surely going to rocket upwards...

I was expecting him in the 4.4s... but not in the 4.3s and definatly not in the 4.2s!!!

EDIT: I dont think he can actually run in the 4.2s... thats not the point. The point is that he is faster than expected. The only real knock on him is that he doesnt have a burner... and that he needs to add a few pounds...

WOW that guy just moved a round forward in the draft! Congrats to him on his preperation and determination to make an impression and do something for himself! But other then his forty does anyone know anything about this guy?

wow a 4.2 thats awsome. his stock is rising because of that

Guys give me a break. There is no way this guy ran a 4.2. Someone with an itchy trigger finger must have timed him, or perhaps his dad. Wait till the combine for the real stuff.

Guys give me a break. There is no way this guy ran a 4.2. Someone with an itchy trigger finger must have timed him, or perhaps his dad. Wait till the combine for the real stuff.

Seriously those times are never ever ever right.

Didn't they also say Ginn ran about a 4.25 or something, Michael Vick ran a 4.2 and Marcus was faster :rolleyes:

Obviously unofficial...but if its legit, damn! I saw UCF play UF this year, but dont really remember anything about Walker. Anybody down in O-town who can give us a lil scouting report on him?

You don't know this at all. Don't make brash accusations against something someone is reporting -- why is there no way he ran a 4.28? Tell me please, why?

Obviously...

Like I said, he wont run in the 4.2s in the combine. but if he even came close to a 4.28, like say a 4.38... that is ALOT faster than expected. I was expecting 4.4s... some projecting in the 4.5s...

And thats what the big deal is. Not the actual 4.28...

Here is a write up on him...

6'2 200lbs...

Positives: While his frame can certainly use additional bulk, he has a long, lanky frame with good overall muscle tone, tight waist, defined shoulders and low body fat…Shows very good field savvy and vision, as he is alert to coverages and has a knack for executing head fakes and generating enough hip wiggle to elude after the catch…Smooth open field runner who might lack timed speed, but has the change of direction agility, balance and body control to make proper adjustments to get to off-target throws…Shows good hip flexibility and knee bend to plant and drive out of his cuts…Has the ability to take plays from the chalkboard to the playing field…Excels at making adjustments according to what the defense gives him and is alert to coming back when the quarterback is pressured…Is best when given room to get into his routes, but has the movement skills and hand/eye coordination to separate after the catch.

His long stride makes him look a bit slow coming off the line, but he can accelerate out of his breaks and is smart enough to gear down and time his leaps to get to the short area throws…Usually crisp when trying to cut…His body control is evident when he runs disciplined patterns…Does a very good job of sitting down underneath and knows where the chains are…He can find the sticks and maintains eye contact so he knows where the cornerback is positioned…Better when utilizing his moves to elude rather than to try and generate a second gear that is lacking…Natural ball catcher who will extend and reach away from his frame…Catches with ease when he goes for the ball and shows good hand strength to secure the ball before turning up field… While he can use more bulk, he is effective at using his body to shield defenders and shows no flinch going for the pass in a crowd, even when he knows the defender is going to deliver a crunching hit…Will assert himself well to combat for the jump balls.

Has just adequate deep speed, but tracks the ball well in flight and can sneak up on a lethargic defender and separate…Very effective at tracking the ball over his outside shoulder…Is more of a build-up speed-type of runner, but demonstrates good concentration to look the ball in…Very smooth making twisting moves to get to the off-target throws while maintaining his stride…Won't put on the afterburners to separate after the catch, but has enough lower body strength to break the initial tackle…His shake and loose hips lets him gain positive yardage up the seam…Puts in the extra hours after practice and is known to spend considerable time in the film room.

Negatives: Needs to add at least another 10-15 pounds of bulk and strength to his frame to be more consistent powering through the jam at the next level…Has a small waist and bubble, lacking the lower body power to maintain position and sustain when blocking for the ground game…His long stride and lack of second gear makes him adequate on routes into the deep secondary…Needs to use his hands with force in order to defeat the press, as he does not generate an explosive initial step…Needs to learns to vary his stride (must take pitter-patter steps instead of long ones)…Comes out his breaks cleanly, but will take some false steps at times…Has the determination to compete for the passes inside, but a lack of bulk sees him get ping-ponged by second level defenders…Has to surprise the cornerback to slip past his opponent, as he does not have the sudden moves to separate after the catch…Will get stymied by a strong wrap-up tackle…Marginal blocker who will get pushed back into the pocket when trying to clear space for the ground game…Makes only passive a effort to sustain and takes poor angles in the open when asked to cut block.

Compares To: GREG JENNINGS-Green Bay…Walker does not have Jennings' speed, but both are field savvy pass catchers who uses an array of moves and some lower leg strength to break tackles. Walker needs to add more bulk and will never win open field foot races, but he is very effective on crossing and controlled routes.

I also wrote this a couple of weeks back...
FinNasty said:
6'2 200 lbs... and has 4.4 speed. With the poor season Central Florida had, he will but noticed less than he should. Many of you know Brandon Marshall... the talented 4th round WR last year of the Broncos. Well, Marshall was the #2 to Walker. Walker's junior year was spectacular... but in the last game of the season, he tore his ACL. However, he recovered quickly, and didnt lose a step this year.

This season, without any legitiment #2 WR to pull coverage... and with a pathetic carousel of QBs... Walker was 4th in the nation in receptions. He had 90 receptions for 1,178 yards and 7 TDs. Basically, EVERYONE knew they were throwing it to him... and he still caught the ball in double and triple coverage. He is fast and explosive and sure handed. He does need to add a little more bulk, but the NFL will bulk him up pretty easily... because he has the frame for it.

The kid is the complete package... but will probably fall into the 2nd day because UCF had a horrible season this year... and Walker isnt going to get the exposure that Marshall got. But the fact is... is that he is going to be a STEAL for whoever drafts him...

You don't know this at all. Don't make brash accusations against something someone is reporting -- why is there no way he ran a 4.28? Tell me please, why?

Tell you why...ok, the fastest time ever electronically recorded at the NFL Combine is a 4.33 by Fabian Washington from what I understand. So out of nowhere, a receiver who NFL draft sites have running in the mid 4.5's runs a legitimate 4.28? I think you are the one who needs to tell me why I should believe this.

Also, no one "reported" it. A player said it on the radio.

Okay well we can start off with the fact that NFL 40 times in general aren't very accurate. Most track stars only run about a 4.35 there was a really good article about it in another thread, about how NFL/College 40 times are inaccurate due to the conditions they are taken in.

Second of all like I said these times are never right. They timed Vick out of high school at something like 4.23, Vince Young at a low 4.4, Reggie Bush at 4.3 and none of those times were accurate at all. The guys timing them usually give them the benefit of crossing the line sooner and human error comes into play.

I'd bet my and my families lives that he didnt run a clean 4.28

Obviously...

Like I said, he wont run in the 4.2s in the combine. but if he even came close to a 4.28, like say a 4.38... that is ALOT faster than expected. I was expecting 4.4s... some projecting in the 4.5s...

And thats what the big deal is. Not the actual 4.28...

Yeah man not shooting the messenger or anything...I think it was cool that you took the time to post something you heard on the radio because many people obviously didn't get a chance to listen. I was just trying to cool the enthusiasm a little bit.

That said, I don't think he will run in the 4.3's and would be shocked if he ran below 4.45. I've followed this kid quite a bit and I'm a pretty big fan, but I just don't think he is anywhere near as fast as Timmons claimed.

Does it matter if he ran that time. Running the 40 isnt running with football pads. He may run track for UCF, who knows? All we know is the guy is fast off the football field.

Back
Top Bottom