X. Howard Evaluation | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

X. Howard Evaluation

I'm apparently seeing something else than everyone else on the planet. Howard was bad early on but the last 3 or 4 games he has been good from what I've seen. I didn't watch the last quarter and a half last night but I haven't seen him getting roasted. I thought he did an excellent job manned up on Julio Jones vs Atlanta, and there was one game where the ball never even went in his direction which tells me he was locking it down. We've been getting absolutely gashed by TE's and rb's... let's face it, our safeties are useless in coverage and that includes jones, and we don't have any lbs who can cover either. Howard is far down the list of my worries on this defense.

PFF now ranks Xavien Howard as the 115th CB in the NFL out of 116 qualifying players.

Only Phillip gains of KC has a worse grade saving X from being the absolute worst CB in the NFL.

Oh! and remember, we traded up in the 2nd round to draft him.

Is there anyone left who doesn't want Chris Grier fired yesterday???

Very big let down year for me. I had high expectations. The big problem is that his biggest weaknesses that are standing out now are the same weaknesses that scouts pointed out with his college tape.

Tankersely has jumped him by miles as our best CB prospect going forward. He's a keeper. You can see the progression as difficult as it is to stand out on a bad team. He's been victimized by some very poor safety play, aside from a few rookie mistakes. He's penciled in as a starter in 2018.

If you're sitting on the board and the BPA is a CB, do you pass on an elite prospect because you already have Xavien Howard?

No, but you do pass if you consider Lippett's return and a good GM will be trying to sign a veteran CB like Patrick Robinson during free agency.

We may actually get a look at McTyre before this season ends.

I wouldn't mind seeing a CB poached from another team's practice squad either.

If they aren't going to play Vernon they might as well release him.

No, but you do pass if you consider Lippett's return and a good GM will be trying to sign a veteran CB like Patrick Robinson during free agency.

We may actually get a look at McTyre before this season ends.

I wouldn't mind seeing a CB poached from another team's practice squad either.

If they aren't going to play Vernon they might as well release him.

If there is a silver lining, it's that fans at least see a number of backups/PS who MAY be able to start next year. Now Gase just has to give up on 'the season's not over' and see what's already on the roster. I don't expect any of them to light it up as Tank has, but give fans some evidence one way or the other.

I think you are more likely to see a cheap veteran nickel add than a early draft pick one

At this point just about any position could be the target with our first round pick in the 2018 draft thought I doubt they'd draft a DT considering we have Suh and the two rookies have looked good
DE? Wake is almost done, Branch is average and Harris hasn't shown much
LB? We have RM coming back from surgery, Timmons's not looking good lately, Alonzo looking like crap and Malauga is done after this year
Corner? Other than Tank nothing's a sure thing there
WR? If Landry leaves then is possible
RB-We need a real starter now
TE- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
O-line? Do we need to even talk about it?

It is that bad guys

Ozzy rules!!

I think you are more likely to see a cheap veteran nickel add than a early draft pick one
That's a must. Cannot have McCain in the nickel next season. He's awful. I can't stand him either. He gets beat, receiver drops the ball, and he celebrates as if he did something.

At this point just about any position could be the target with our first round pick in the 2018 draft thought I doubt they'd draft a DT considering we have Suh and the two rookies have looked good
DE? Wake is almost done, Branch is average and Harris hasn't shown much
LB? We have RM coming back from surgery, Timmons's not looking good lately, Alonzo looking like crap and Malauga is done after this year
Corner? Other than Tank nothing's a sure thing there
WR? If Landry leaves then is possible
RB-We need a real starter now
TE- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
O-line? Do we need to even talk about it?

It is that bad guys

Ozzy rules!!
Take the BPA. I’m hoping for a FS or LB. Fitzpatrick, James or Jefferson.

I’ll take Bradley Chubb too.

Hell I’ll take the corner from FSU or Louisville as well. Flat out lockdown guys. Jackson from Iowa is a beast too.

they will give howard tank and lippett 2018 as the top 3 boundaries unless something falls in their lap...they are all young enough where they will bank on development and Miami has too many other fish to fry this offseason

but the nickel slot corner that I think is where they may target something...too much separation out of cuts and poor zone awareness

they also need to a better centerfield option than what's playing right now but they got a ton of money in safety so I doubt it...not enough range even in that 20 yard deep single safety look stuff we ran a ton of with McDonald...checks every physicality box off and he attacks the ball and play in front of him but not enough lateral range

I remember when we had guys that picked off passes, heck even Vontae with his 4 INT's a year is better than what we have these days. We don't have very good CB's. I'm not expecting Madison and Surtain to walk through that door, but we don't have anyone even close to that caliber.

they will give howard tank and lippett 2018 as the top 3 boundaries unless something falls in their lap...they are all young enough where they will bank on development and Miami has too many other fish to fry this offseason

Xactly. People want to blow it up and start over as if that has some connection to reality. Pick 3-4 biggest needs on off-season and target those spots. Right now I suspect everyone is targeting OG and TE as two of them. CB may be on the list, but not high enough to do anything unless someone "falls in their lap." As for Howard, more often I see 'inconsistent.' To be fair, at times he has the #1 WR and other times he's in zone where I don't think he can thrive.

I think you nailed it. The team as a whole has regressed due to poor coaching and scheme. We are almost always playing from behind and that puts intense pressure on the D. This combined with a DC who is in a position he shouldn't be in is the problem. I cannot put all the blame on the players, We are just a **** show of coaching.

I remember the end of last season, and the defense gave up a lot of yards. I cannot see how you can say the defense has regressed. Further, WR were open frequently versus X last year, so again just do not understand your position. I do agree that the defense is playing poorly.

We need to draft a Coner #1 pick. Then work the Oline. I watched a boat load of replays and Howard weakness is a slant route. Plus has trouble locating the football. He ain’t a bust but I prefer him as a good nickel corner, Not starting material next year.

I was going to start a thread about this. I would look to move him in the offseason and bring in vet like Sherman

You are aware that Sherman ruptured his Achilles tendon
Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned
if he needs the typical 11 month recovery time good luck

And a pesky little matter is Seattle will want draft pick/s
and his salary will be huge and a huge risk coming off
that type of injury

Back
Top Bottom