X. Howard Evaluation | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

X. Howard Evaluation

I hate to say this but a pass rush might be a huge need next draft
Wake is getting older(36 next year) add his $8.6 million cap hit but you'd save about $5 million
with his release...Tough decision I'm glad I don't have to make

Harris playing opposite of Wake has shown very little
Dion Jordan has the same amount of sacks as Harris this season
but Harris has played 262 more snaps than Jordan

Hayes is a free agent next season and will be 33
We rented him for almost $5 million this season
He's played 43% of the defensive snaps

Branch isn't going anywhere with his cap hit/contract
$10 million for 55% of the defensive snaps

Fede is a free agent

I just don't see a consistent pass rush with the above players
Maybe not with our #1 pick since we have so many needs
but we better find a pass rush real fast
because lack of one is affecting our secondary

I remember the end of last season, and the defense gave up a lot of yards. I cannot see how you can say the defense has regressed. Further, WR were open frequently versus X last year, so again just do not understand your position. I do agree that the defense is playing poorly.
Well we rank 29th through 32nd in the four defensive categories. That seems like regression to me considering we added better players. Not splitting hairs here we were bad last year we're bad this year. we certainly haven't improved... two shutouts already and three primetime blowouts

It's one of those years where it's one thing or another and we can't seem to get into a groove. Right now, I am not worried as much about wins as I am with seeing individual improvement and growth from our key players.

I hate to say this but a pass rush might be a huge need next draft
Wake is getting older(36 next year) add his $8.6 million cap hit but you'd save about $5 million
with his release...Tough decision I'm glad I don't have to make

Harris playing opposite of Wake has shown very little
Dion Jordan has the same amount of sacks as Harris this season
but Harris has played 262 more snaps than Jordan

Hayes is a free agent next season and will be 33
We rented him for almost $5 million this season
He's played 43% of the defensive snaps

Branch isn't going anywhere with his cap hit/contract
$10 million for 55% of the defensive snaps

Fede is a free agent

I just don't see a consistent pass rush with the above players
Maybe not with our #1 pick since we have so many needs
but we better find a pass rush real fast
because lack of one is affecting our secondary

In looking at things realistically Miami's defensive line, while decent, is definitely overrated. Suh is double-teamed on every play and there's no one who steps up to make plays. Look how easily Carolina took Suh out of the game. The Dolphins need another standout player on the defensive line that teams have to game plan for. In a perfect world, someone with speed and power.

Wake is still a great player, but he hasn't made as big of an impact this season. Harris is developing and hopefully will take off with more playing time and experience. Branch is a highly paid backup.

I'm 50/50 on Howard at corner. I know he's young, but it is so frustrating watching him get picked apart. I don't think the issue is his coverage as much as locating the ball. When he sees the receiver turning back for the ball, as an example, he should realize the ball is in the air. Maybe this is coachable. If not, I'd look to upgrade there.

Xactly. People want to blow it up and start over as if that has some connection to reality. Pick 3-4 biggest needs on off-season and target those spots. Right now I suspect everyone is targeting OG and TE as two of them. CB may be on the list, but not high enough to do anything unless someone "falls in their lap." As for Howard, more often I see 'inconsistent.' To be fair, at times he has the #1 WR and other times he's in zone where I don't think he can thrive.

Naaaayyyy my friend, it is thee who errors in dreams of thought.

Observe the Philidelphia Eagles_______________________

Sometimes ya just gotta whip it to pieces.

I remember when we had guys that picked off passes, heck even Vontae with his 4 INT's a year is better than what we have these days. We don't have very good CB's. I'm not expecting Madison and Surtain to walk through that door, but we don't have anyone even close to that caliber.
Tankersely has elite ball skills, IMO. I'm actually surprised he doesn't have a pick yet, though nothing has hit him in the hands since the Saints game.

I can't believe he is the second to last rated CB by PFF. He can't be the second worst corner in the league. That would mean another 2nd round bust AGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

When will it stop??

This is an example of yet another player overrated by the fans, he wasn't really good last year, yes he showed promise but not nearly enough for everyone to assume he would take this giant step in year 2. Tankersley has shown more in his 7 games played than Howard did last year.
It’s because Miami hasn’t had elite players in such a long time and has had awful players for just as long, that mediocre to average players seem like players that are excelling and get overhyped by fans.

Back
Top Bottom