Yahoo's Assessment of the Charles Harris Pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yahoo's Assessment of the Charles Harris Pick

My bottom-line: everyone here is certainly entitled to their opinion whether pro or con. Me? I don't know enough about Harris but yes I would have preferred to take the trade Atlanta was offering and grab Lamp and a much needed 3rd to compensate for the Carroo brainfart.

However, to me there's a distinction between criticizing Harris and criticizing taking anyone at 22 vs trading back. We have a number of smart armchair draft gurus on here, but with all due respect, I'd rather yield to the opinions of the likes of Mike Mayock who had him going 1 pick later than Foster, at 11 to the Saints and Daniel Jeremiah who had him going 15. Walter had him going 18 and Kiper 23. It's true that McShay, who's got a pretty good batting average had him going at 29.. but still he's considered a first round talent by most of the draftniks with credibility. The major dissenting voice is Polian which is funny cuz I recently read an old article dissecting his good and bad draft picks at Indy with the conclusion that he and his son were fired as a result of a decade of bad and non needs-responsive drafting. So really who's to be believed and taken seriously?

What I gotta go with is that Harris is a decent to good draft pick but not quite good enough to pass up Lamp and get a 3rd rounder also. Foster? I don't even factor him into the equation.. we cannot afford high (medical ) risk for high gain, especially after the Jordan "experience" still rankles in the craw.

Plus Charles Harris gets to be trained by Cam Wake and he gets to play against Tunsil. If that doesn't make him a better player, IDK what will.

I knew the Jordan Willis infatuation was a Finheaven thing. Again, like the player but did not see him in the same class as Barnett, Harris, or even Taco. NFL teams agree. I thought he'd sneak into the first, and wouldn't have minded him in a trade down scenario.... But I felt he was a second round talent all along. He will be a solid pro, but I don't see the "big time" potential.

Actually, most have graded the pick as a B or better.

Yup. The more highly touted "experts" (if there's such a thing) rated him higher than 22 and loved the pick. I do too.

You can't teach his pass rush skills. You can coach him to be better against the run. Rather that than the other way around. You're not getting a complete player with no baggage at 22. That's what people don't get. It's like Dolphins fans were expecting Myles Garrett.

I'm better today knowing all the issues (now medical) on Foster, so I like it better. But still a little disappointed we got who we thought we'd get at 22 with the way the draft changed and who was available. Hope to address several issues in our next couple picks (one must be OL).

Dion Jordan gone, Wake retiring soon. The pick made perfect sense.
Harris is a play maker at DE and could drop back into coverage.
Not a spectacular pick, but solid and fills a need.

Getting a run stuffing LB core is critical too.
Timmons will be fine but a short term band aid. Alonso is serviceable, but the misses has to be replaced.
This team need 2 LB's drafted today.

I would not be shocked if we picked a DT/LB or LB/OG either.

He's probably one of the few #1 picks that won't be a starter come day 1....

He's probably one of the few #1 picks that won't be a starter come day 1....

And the beauty of it is he doesn't have to be to make an impact. People get so lost in the word starter. Just because he might not be on the field for the first play of the game doesn't mean ****.

If you want a run defender at DE, you find that in rounds 3-4. If you want a player who doesn't need development as a pass rusher, you find that in round 1. Year after year NFL teams are exploited because they have no pass rush. Yet, Miami takes one of the best pass rushers in the draft and people get pissed off because he's not a day 1 "starter".

Defensive lines, and especially Miami's, work heavily on rotation. Charles Harris will get 500+ snaps at defensive end.

I don't think anyone will complain if Harris gets 10+ sacks a year. Still need more defense, but that's a good start to the draft IMO.

The major dissenting voice is Polian which is funny cuz I recently read an old article dissecting his good and bad draft picks at Indy with the conclusion that he and his son were fired as a result of a decade of bad and non needs-responsive drafting. So really who's to be believed and taken seriously?

I was listening to Sirius NFL yesterday before the draft and Polian was one of the hosts and he said that if the draft prospect didn't meet their height/weight/athletic measurements that they set by position, they completely removed the prospect off their board and wouldn't draft him regardless of football ability.

My bottom-line: everyone here is certainly entitled to their opinion whether pro or con. Me? I don't know enough about Harris but yes I would have preferred to take the trade Atlanta was offering and grab Lamp and a much needed 3rd to compensate for the Carroo brainfart.

However, to me there's a distinction between criticizing Harris and criticizing taking anyone at 22 vs trading back. We have a number of smart armchair draft gurus on here, but with all due respect, I'd rather yield to the opinions of the likes of Mike Mayock who had him going 1 pick later than Foster, at 11 to the Saints and Daniel Jeremiah who had him going 15. Walter had him going 18 and Kiper 23. It's true that McShay, who's got a pretty good batting average had him going at 29.. but still he's considered a first round talent by most of the draftniks with credibility. The major dissenting voice is Polian which is funny cuz I recently read an old article dissecting his good and bad draft picks at Indy with the conclusion that he and his son were fired as a result of a decade of bad and non needs-responsive drafting. So really who's to be believed and taken seriously?

What I gotta go with is that Harris is a decent to good draft pick but not quite good enough to pass up Lamp and get a 3rd rounder also. Foster? I don't even factor him into the equation.. we cannot afford high (medical ) risk for high gain, especially after the Jordan "experience" still rankles in the craw.

well said

Defensive lines, and especially Miami's, work heavily on rotation. Charles Harris will get 500+ snaps at defensive end.

When will he be on the field?

Better yet, how do we force teams into passing situations (2nd/3rd long...a lead)?

The LSU game highlighted what to do when he's in the game....

Back
Top Bottom