Your Pre-Combine REALISTIC top 5 at 14. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your Pre-Combine REALISTIC top 5 at 14.

Already people inside the Dolphins are comparing their situation to that of the Dallas Cowboys with Jason Garrett in terms of Joe Philbin's status as a head coach. Well, what happened to the Cowboys? They take Zack Martin in the 1st round, move him to guard, he becomes one of the best guards in the game, their ground game becomes dominant, they win 12 games and are now in the divisional round of the playoffs. Interior line play was a huge problem for the Dolphins in 2014. Rationalization will build for taking Brandon Scherff or La'el Collins and sliding them over to left guard.

I don't know who those people are comparing our situation with the Cowboys cause they've clearly overlooked the fact that we don't have a Dez Bryant or a DeMarco Murray on this team...and no, Lamar Miller is not DeMarco Murray...he doesn't run with the same power as Murray does.

I happen to think Collins has tremendous coverage skills.

Here watch the highlights of the Ole Miss game where he get's burnt twice for TD's there was a third time he got beat for a TD in that game but the TE drop it.
[video=youtube;BwQYczo2nzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwQYczo2nzw[/video]

Not sure Collins is a great foil for Jones though. You'd really want someone with better coverage skills than Collins to sit deep. It's a thin enough draft for coverage safeties, by the looks. Prewitt is someone worth looking at for that reason. He's a better complement to Jones.

If that is the case I could see the Fins going with a Holiman in the second round. They won't like his tackling and he tends to loaf away from and trailing plays but his ball skills are top shelf. He's a taperoom junkie that lets that feed his excellent play read and recognition.

Here watch the highlights of the Ole Miss game where he get's burnt twice for TD's there was a third time he got beat for a TD in that game but the TE drop it.
[video=youtube;BwQYczo2nzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwQYczo2nzw[/video]

The second touchdown was on him. Ole Miss did a good job stretching him.

First one, not sure that touchdown was what you think it was.

They were both on Collins. He got burned a few times in that game.

Safety has to defend the hash first in that sitution in Saban's defense on the first touchdown. The ball was on the opposite hash. That's why he was back there.
Just got burned matched up in one-on-one coverage by Jaylen Watkins on the second one. As one poster already pointed out, he was burned other times where the TE dropped it.

Collins doesn't have quite the range or coverage skills that Clinton-Dix had, but has more range than Mark Barron. He's in the middle of those two there.

All three were excellent tacklers around the LOS.

On early downs, you don't want Collins as a single high defender. I'm just telling you. On passing downs, I'd play him up closer to LOS and let him take a back out of the backfield, defend the flat, or blitz him. He's a terrific blitzer. I trust him more on passing downs in that role. Watch how textbook he played this exact technique against Arkansas when he sealed the game with the interception intended for Johnathan Williams coming out of the backfield. We had him up near the LOS in an obvious passing situation and let him read the play, then take the back one-on-one out of the backfield if he released into a route. It was textbook.

If that is the case I could see the Fins going with a Holiman in the second round. They won't like his tackling and he tends to loaf away from and trailing plays but his ball skills are top shelf. He's a taperoom junkie that lets that feed his excellent play read and recognition.

I love Holiman's cover skills, but he is not a solid tackler and have seen him take many bad, bad angles. Now, I think the angles come with time, but he's got to want to tackle, and not sure he has that desire. I think if he comes out this year he is 3/4 round...but I would take him in a heartbeat there.

well you still got to match your existing personnel...brent grimes game is best suited for our current scheme as is will davis...jamar taylor could probably fair fine in a say press man or cover 2 scheme...waynes game is more press man...

minus taylor you'd pretty much be starting over for scheme fit at corner making a change

Okay Hoos, based strictly on those players that are under contract for next year. What type of defense and coverage's do you run? Any players that fit perfectly?

White
Parker
Goldman
Shelton
Green-Beckham

This is early, but right now these would be my top guys. One guy I like a lot but not in round one or at least early is Ty Montgomery. He is starting to jump off the screen for me and might be my favorite receiver in the draft.

1. White
2. Parker
3. Green-Beckham or Strong
4. Melvin Gordon
5. Best player left

Obviously I feel we need a tall WR on this team..so any of those will do. I do believe Melvin Gordon would be amazing, but him and Lamar Miller are very similar in style, and I don't think we would be willing to cut Miller's load in half after the season he just had (could have been even better if we didn't give up on him when the 2nd half came around). If we do get him, it would be very similar to Jeremy Hill and Giovani Bernard (which is not really a bad thing). I feel like some of our defensive needs could be addressed later on, considering we have like 5 million young guys on defense who have not been given the chance to develop due to injury or other problems(Taylor, Smith, Jordan, Fede, Jenkins, Tripp, and so on). So I really think our priority should be to go big on offense...and even more ballsy, I see Devin Funchess as a 2nd rounder in a few mock drafts, so I would say we go after him if all else fails..or double up on big guys. I honestly don't see Hartline, Gibson ,or Wallace coming back so we might need to load up on these young guys.

if we get a new dc maybe...there's nothing in the guard class that will warrant a top 15 pick...like nothing even close...only ones to consider would be college tackles to guard and i dont think this is a year you see miami pull a top pick guard or olineman anyways...at least right now

no college guard that projects in the pros as a guard should carry a top 20 grade

Brandon Scherff as a guard convert doesn't say top 15 pick to you? Zack Martin made the transition seamlessly on his way to being a 1st Team All-Pro.

Brandon Scherff as a guard convert doesn't say top 15 pick to you? Zack Martin made the transition seamlessly on his way to being a 1st Team All-Pro.

college tackle to pro guards are the only guys i was saying validate a potential top 15 pick consideration in this class...although i dont know that sherrff is as athletic as zach martin was coming out...loved martin...and from what i have seen he played the best guard in football this season...

college tackle to pro guards are the only guys i was saying validate a potential top 15 pick consideration in this class...although i dont know that sherrff is as athletic as zach martin was coming out...loved martin...and from what i have seen he played the best guard in football this season...

He hang cleans well over 400+ and is expected to run 4.9's he made Phil Steele's freak team this year

Zack Martin might be my favorite prospect I've ever evaluated. At least the one I'm most proud of

That's why I have Cedric Ogbuehi in my top 5 at 14. To me this kid is the total package and still has plenty of upside.

I don't know why hes not being talked about more in this draft and is ranked where he is, all I hear is how Zack Martin did so much for Dallas and how good he was.

Well Cedric has started at guard, RT and LT for A&M and shined at every position.

I also don't understand why Jake and Luke were so highly touted out of A&M and Cedric is not, he's better than both IMO, stronger and more athletic, smart and super hard worker too. Amd nasty in space, which he Didjt get to show much at A&M.

The only reason I have La'el above him is because La'el can flat out throw big men around in a pretty scary way, and that gets guard/tackle prospects a major boost in my book. But I could easily put Cedric above him.

Back
Top Bottom