You're the GM in 2014: How do you fix this team?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Nov 25, 2013.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

How would you approach this offseason as a GM: Trades? Draft. Free Agency. How do you fix this team?

(for the purposes of this, pretend Philbin/Sherman/Coyle return)

2. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Fire OL coach Turner

3. ProStyle

ProStyle Well-Known Member

This draft sucks as far as impact player. We missed the boat on some great talent in the past 4 years with Ireland. There is no easy fix, when you keep the dude who screws up every year, for 6 years.

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Keep Pouncey. In FA, I sign a OT and OG. Two of my first three picks are a OT and OG...though I am in love with Eric Ebron...lol.

I would run to re-sign Brent Grimes. If he says "no", I tag him. From there, I would attempt to sign either Paul Soliai or Randy Starks. I got to get one. I would look for a veteran RB to combine with Lamar Miller. I am not giving up on Miller.

General gist to my ideas right now. Save the Cornfed stuff. This line is bad and needs to get better.

5. SkapePhin

Ben Tate?

6. vagrantprodigy

vagrantprodigy A True Fan

Getting rid of Sherman is a must.

But as far as personnel goes, I'd sign an OT, draft an OT, sign a G, draft a G, and make sure to keep Soliai. I'd keep Grimes unless there is any elite corner on the market we can get for similar money (I don't know of any hitting the market this year). Draft a DT in in the middle rounds, and find a RB to work with Miller.

7. phinfan33

phinfan33 A True Fan

Fire QB Coach Zac Taylor as well.

8. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Get a good QB. Team fixed.

9. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Resign Grimes.
    Fire Turner and the Shermans.
    Try to get Jay Carmichael here from NO.
    Call Hudson Houck for the O line coach.
    Let Starks walk.
    See what Keller's rehab is going like and if it's good then discuss a one year deal.
    In the draft work to move up into the top 5 for Matthews. If he's gone and Keller is broken take Jace Amaro. Then best player available with a focus on O line, safety, and rb with the hope of sneaking out with a new kick/punt returner.
    In FA look at O line.

10. ozman

ozman Rookie

First move sign an OT, resign grimes, Solia , draft a seem busting TE, draft abig physical wr, draft a OT. Pick up veteran RB who can break tackles and pick up short yardage. Oh and fire Sherman.

11. ozman

ozman Rookie

WV please don't talk QB. Your all world qb has one of the worst records in football all world Luck got smoked by rams and cards. Please no more get real threads talking about how you know so much and everyone else is wrong. all of your get real lately have been dead *** wrong. Get Real

12. 100% Dolphins

100% Dolphins Starter

Fire Sherman.

13. FinaticalFinfan

FinaticalFinfan Finatical Finfan Finheaven VIP

Hilarious.....team fixed lmao! Ireland ( or anyone who is or has been a GM) > WVDolphan ..... Like ya as a poster, but if you were GM, I'd have to Trump ya!

14. Djavelin

Djavelin Head Dolphin In This Pod Donator

I would fire Sherman, Taylor, Turner and any other lack luster assistants.
    Sign Big Paul long term. The anchor in the middle.
    Sign Grimes. And if there is a solid pick up at corner in FA, I would look at that and see if it would work.
    Starks will walk.....Unless he takes a team friendly deal.
    Keep Pouncey, Brenner, Thomas, Watkins, Garner on OL and draft at least 2 line man, and sign a FA G/OT. Have them all battle for the starting 5
    Cut D.Thomas, and get a real power back to compliment Miller.
    Get a Stud TE in the Draft. Keller is a ? Clay, Simms and Draft pick.
    Get a good return man, Thigpen is not cutting it. Last drive of the game started at the 10 yard line when it could have been 20 yard line.
    Dumb mistakes by him have cost us. He is not the answer at KR/PR
    Draft a LB or 2. Our depth is awful. When Misi was out you could see a huge difference. We need more backer depth.
    Move back to the 4-3 / 3-4 hybrid. We have talent that can do multiple things. I want the team to utilize the most out of the talent.
    Get a coach that is Hard Nosed, Can make the right calls at key times Instill toughness and Determination.
    Build a Team that no one wants to play because they will be beat the F up from how physical we are.
    Get a True FB. One that can plow, block, catch.
    Get a OC that will make the team soar. Innovative and creative. Game plan evry week to capitalize on the other teams weakness, tendencies.
    That would be a start.

15. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Agree with Hayden; Draft an OT and OG early and sign one of each in free agency.

Relieve Jim Turner and Zack Taylor of their duties.

Re-sign Starks, Soliai, and Grimes.

Acquire a power running back to pair with Lamar Miller. Need a tall receiver for the red zone in the mix. Maybe its Binns. Otherwise I am rolling with Wallace, Hartline, Gibby, and Matthews.

Run defense has been bad. Switch defense to a 3-4 with Wake and Jordan at OLB and Ellerbe and Misi inside. Release Wheeler. Front 3 will be Soliai on the nose with Odrick and Starks at DT. Shelby is a backup. Vernon may move to SOLB. Need a couple of DE backups in the 280-290 lb range. Vernon is not a great system fit for the 34 but he has a great motor and can be moved around.

Secondary is playing lights out so bring them back.

16. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Sorry, first thing I do is fix your premise and clean house!

17. SkapePhin

I don't want this regime either, but Ross is going to keep Philbin unless something crazy happens...

18. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

For what? Being given a bunch of crap to work with. This isn't scheme that is the problem. These guys are simply get beat badly in their 1-on-1 battles. This is just lack of talent.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

If that happens, then we are screwed. If he keeps the coaching staff, he will be limited on the GM options.

19. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Alteraun Verner..

Then a bunch of lineman and a vet RB.

20. buzzardmountain

buzzardmountain Well-Known Member

I'd draft 14 DE's...

21. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Tannebeast..err, runofthemill.

He flip flopped once the team started ****ting the bed..

22. sambrinson

sambrinson Rookie

Nice try, Jeff Ireland!

23. finforlife

finforlife FinHeaven VIP

Re-sign Soliai and Clemmons, franchise Grimes if you can't work out a longterm deal. Let all other FA's walk.
    Sign a back to compliment Miller. Donald Brown from the Colts, Rashad Jennings from the Raiders come to mind.
    Sign John Kuhn to play fullback.
    Sign a guard, Matt Slauson from Bears or Jon Asamoah from Chiefs. Sign a tackle. If you want to go LT, look at Albert or Monroe. If looking right side, Michael Oher or Zach Strief.
    Draft the best available lineman, guard or tackle in the first round. There appears to be 4-5 legitimate LTs that should be available when we pick. Take a guard in the second or third round and grab a TE in the first three rounds. I like CJ Fiedorowicz from Iowa. Add some DT depth as well.
    I would like to find a permanent starting job for Dion Jordan on the D-line, although I'm not sure he isn't better suited for OLB. If Starks leaves, we have to keep Odrick inside which leaves Vernon and Jordan at DE.

As far as coaching, I think Sherman has to go. At first I thought he was good for Tannehill, now I think he's holding him and the offense back. I have mixed reviews about Turner as he's had absolute crap to work with.

Ideally, if Rex Ryan got fired, I would hire him as my DC and go back to a 3-4 as I think we're better suited for that scheme.

24. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

Trade the draft for a top QB.... win multiple division titles for years to come

25. TPD1479

TPD1479 Seasoned Veteran

If you don't think Tannehill is a good QB you know NOTHING about the game of football. Give the man an OL that can block and a running game besides a draw out if shotgun and you'd see how good he is

26. Digital

Digital Starter

Assuming the staff returns, here is what I'd do:

1. Resign Soliai, Grimes, Clemons (Soliai IS our run defense, Grimes is a steal, and Clemons has continued to improve to become a solid player)
    2. Let Keller walk. (Good player but telegraphs pass and doesn't help the run game, not to mention lacks the most important ability ... availability)
    3. Draft an OT in either the 1st or 2nd round and a TE in the other. Use our mid-round picks to get a good G/C or two. (We desperately need a TE who can be a reliable 3rd down threat, size mismatch in the red zone, run block and pass protect. I'd trade our 1st to Cincinnati for Tyler Eifert if they'd take it. Our OL needs young talent)

27. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Hire a new coaching staff.

Draft a QB somewhere in the draft to compete with Tannehill.

Resign Grimes.

Resign Pouncey.

Resign Clemons.

Resign Soilai.

Get a Seam Threat so we can use Clay the way he was meant to be used.

Fix Offensive Line.

28. FSU Truth

FSU Truth inside my DNA Finheaven VIP

Simple....we kill the Batman....

Offense -
    - Sign at least 2 tackles and a guard...short list of guys I would go after....Mack, Asamoah, Brandon Albert, Eugene Monroe, Matt Slauson, Jered Veldheer, Austin Howard, Wade Smith and Oher
    - Draft 2 lineman in the first 3 rounds....(who and where they draft these lineman depends heavily on FA
    - Big Red Zone Target....can be a WR or a TE, but someone who can go up and fight for the ball
    - Ben Tate
    - Let Incognito walk, trade Martin, resign Jerry

Defense
    - Starks walks
    - Resign Soliai, Grimes, Clemons, Patterson
    - Bench Wheeler
    - Sign/Draft a OLB that can actually tackles

Staff
    - Get rid OL and QB coach

29. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

Live in Maryland & the only offensive line that is as bad is ours is the Ravens. They average 2.9 ypc w/Ray Rice & Bernard Pierce, two good backs. Eugene Monroe is going to resign with the Ravens but they aren't even going to attempt to resign Michael Oher. There's a good reason for that... he SUCKS. He's just as bad as Clabo (allowed 8.5 sacks so far this year) & some foolish team is going to give Oher LT money. I pray it's not us.

30. floriokie

floriokie Active Member

This^^^^^ (exactly what I was thinking)

31. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Sorry, if this coaching staff returns you don't fix it in 2014.

32. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

Sign a McDonalds franchise and eat all the chicken mcnuggets i want.

33. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

The most important thing to be corrected in 2014 is the running game. It's been lackluster for years, and this year it's completely collapsed. Whoever is responsible for THAT, should be fired.

If I'm the GM, I fire Sherman, his relative the QB coach, and Turner. If Philbin balks at that and doesn't see the mistakes and feels Sherman did everything exactly as he'd have done, then he goes too.

As far as the QB, it's true QB's can be game changers, but they don't grow on trees. So take that one day at a time. But it was plain to me, that on Sunday Newton won the game for his team and Tannehill didn't. It was Cam Newton posing with pictures with Shula, not Ryan. It was Newton dancing after a TD, not Ryan. It was Newton with a "W" on the board, not Ryan. If that didn't leave a bitter taste in your mouth, then you're in a coma.

34. SMadison29

Pre-Draft
    1 - make LT Branden Albert the top priority
    2 - resign Paul Soliai, our run defense is not the same without him & the Randy Starks type DT is much easier to replace
    3 - resign CB Brent Grimes
    4 - release OT Jonathan Martin; get rid of a poor offensive lineman & distraction
    5 - resign FS Chris Clemons
    6 - notify CBs Jamar Taylor & Will Davis that they are on notice & expected to beat out Carroll for the nickel spot & push Patterson for a starting spot
    7 - reside to the fact you have to resign G John Jerry. There aren't any free agent guards worth anything other than Jon Asamoah & Matt Slausen which aren't all that great & we don't want to enter 2014 with two rookies starting at guard & one at RT. Plus Dallas will overpay for one of them.
    8 - avoid spending big money on a RB because they don't last long
    9 - have Philbin avoid the temptation of going after a 30 year old WR James Jones
    10 - cap permitting, sign DT Odrick to an extension before he hits free agency in 2015

Draft
    11 - draft an OT early that will start at RT but has the ability to play LT (preference would be Taylor Lewan, Cyrus Kouandjio, Brandon Scherff)
    12 - draft a run blocking guard capable of starting at LG week one in the 2nd or 3rd round
    13 - draft a balanced DT to replace Randy Starks in the 2nd or 3rd round
    14 - draft a true big back in the middle rounds to go with Lamar (Carlos Hyde, Andre Williams)
    15 - draft a speedy slot receiver to guard against Brandon Gibson not returning in time for the season; with the great depth expected in the WR class the speedy slot receviers should be pushed down to the later rounds so target Robert Herron, Josh Huff, or Tevin Reese

35. Hayden Fox

I am not married to the 4-3. Changing to a 3-4 might be a way to utilize more talent currently on the roster IF Soliai can be re-signed.

36. Xbrett82us

Xbrett82us Starter

If I were the GM I'd start myself at MLB and fullback....so you don't want me as GM i don't think.

37. SMadison29

But Vernon doesn't fit the 3-4. Ireland made a mistake this offseason, no surprise, by resigning Misi to an extension who is okay at best. Dion Jordan should be learning to play SLB & be used similar to Von Miller. Having three good pass rushers on the field at all times is a better proposition than yo-yoing back & forth between defenses.

38. Hayden Fox

I disagree about O.V., but if you are right in your assessment, I would not make O.V.'s skill set stop me from moving to a 3-4.

I would re-sign Soliai as a NT. Odrick is a great fit for 3-4 DE. Wake and Jordan would be my OLB's. Ellerbe and Misi would be moved inside. I would attempt to trade O.V. player for player and cut Wheeler.

I love O.V. He is improving, but the team might be better off with a 3-4. Just a VERY early thought.

I can be sold on 4-3 or 3-4. Teams spend more time in the Nickel anyway.

39. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

First I would resign Grimes, Carroll, Soliai, and Clemons. Second I would trade Wake for picks. I would trade him to a contender so he had a chance to win. He deserves that. The goal is to move Jordan into Wake's spot. Defense is set. Third I would focus my draft on the OL and a seem TE.

40. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

By the way my thoughts on the defense is based on moving back to a 3-4 scheme with Vernon and Jordan as OLB and Misi and Ellerbe as MLB.

41. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

Fire Coyle. I dont think he a poor coach, but he has underacheived with the talent available and our players are best suited to a 3-4 IMO.

I would go against the grain and keep Sherman. We forget that we have the worst tackles in football, no O'line depth, no blocking TE, FB or RB and this has to be addressed and IMO him staying would be best for RT.

I would re-sign, Starks, Nolan Carroll, Chris Clemons, Brent Grimes, John Jerry, Paul Soliai, Will Yeatman.

Release Dimitri Patterson, Daniel Thomas, Jonathan Martin, Michael Egnew.

I wouldn't sign any Free Agent for more than a 1 year contract. I would pick up players with a point to prove, much like Grimes & Keller this year and then re-assess at end of season. Pick up players released after the initial flurry of throwing money away.

With the players re-signed, it would keep our Defensive side of the ball in tact. A 3-4 front 5 of Starks, Soliai, Odrick, Wake & Jordan should cause havoc. This would be massively enticing for any 3-4 DC. Can you imagine a Wade Phillips or a Rex Ryan with this front and a secondary of Grimes, Jones, Clemons & Carroll.

I would finally build through draft. With my defense in place, I would concentrate only on offense. Next years draft his high on OT in 1st round. I would love Kouandijio and plug him in at RT. I would have in mind an O'line next year of McKinnie, Garner, Pouncey, Jerry, 1st rnd pick. Dallas Thomas, Brenner, Will Yeatman, plus any OT willing to compete on a 1 year contract, would back up.

I would move Clay to H back and aim to draft a TE in round 2. I would love Austin Seferian-Jenkins. With Dion Sims they would provide a nice pairing.

I would then draft a RB, G, legitimate FB and another WR. I would also consider QB with this years class. Someone to backup and in future push RT. I want much like Pete Carroll said, competition in every position.

42. Phins89

Phins89 Well-Known Member

Considering this team spends double on defense than it does on offense, you go ALL OFFENSE in FA/ Early draft.

--Get Starks or Soliai.
    --Resign Grimes for 2 more years. Also resign Clemons. Keep him and Jones together.
    --We still got McKinnie, Pouncey, Jerry. Gonna need a LG and a RT. Get one FA and one early in the draft (go Round 1).
    --Incognito isn't coming back most likely. Even if he does come back for the rest of the year. Gonna miss him.
    --As for RB...I have no idea. Try and get MJD or draft a RB in round 2.
    --Resign Keller.

43. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

wouldnt it be better to have pouncy move to guard where his pulling ability could be much better used and pick up a center?

44. MexDolfan

MexDolfan Seasoned Veteran

1) My first action without doubt would be to sign Brent Grimes until 2017.
    2) Install Dolphins' Culture Commission leaded by players and a pair of assessors. This commission would serve to avoid future cases like Martin and create a better environment.
    3) Assuming Gary Kubiak's days as Houston HC are numbered, then replace Jim Turner with current Texans' OL coach John Benton.
    4) Move Mike Sherman to HC Assistant; bring Gary Kubiak as Offensive Coordinator. Mike Sherman would focus on helping Joe Philbin and follow up Ryan Tannehill's development.
    5) Add better medical staff for the team, focused on rehab & conditioning.
    6) Bring back some of my own free agents: Paul Soliai, Pat Devlin, Chris Clemons, Nolan Carroll.
    7) Inquire for Jimmy Graham's price and bring Dustin Keller back after double-checking knee.
    8) Hire OL free agents: Ryan Harris, Eugene Monroe & Charles Brown. In order to distract negotiations, inquire for Jordan Gross & keep talks with Tyson Clabo's agent.
    9) Hire RB free agent: Darren McFadden.
    10) Hire KR/PR specialist free agent: Ted Ginn Jr.
    11) Trade a late round pick for Justin Blackmon.
    12) Upgrade the staff of scouts/headhunters to explore every potential draft gem.
    13) Draft plan: BPA in each round, trading down a pair of times during draft and focusing on filling: RB, OL(2), DL(2), LB (2).
    14) Add enough quality UDFA to compete for backup spots at RB, OL, LB & CB(2).
    15) Hire an agent in New Zealand to find within rugby league a K/P with superior quality than ours.
    16) Explore options to move some training camps to a high city in South America, in order to promote the NFL and get additional conditioning.

45. MexDolfan

MexDolfan Seasoned Veteran

I understand your point, but unless you know something that I ignore, it's almost impossible to get both Soliai and Starks back. Explain this please.

46. jvw

jvw Starter

I would fire Coyle and replace him with a 3-4 defensive coach, Fire Philbin and replace him with Whisenhunt, spend the money on Soliai and return to the 3-4 both new LBrs come from that system, would also move Dion to OLB....the money spent in FA will be on the OL, resign Grimes and Patterson and then get out of the way and let the coach develop what we have which is a very young team....

47. Regulus

Regulus Rookie

Finding a safety to replace Jones should be a priority. He is garbage. I don't care how much we signed him for. He is a huge liability in the secondary.

48. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

What is there to explain? You pay them. You get rid of either one, particularly Starks, and this line is a shell of itself. Odrick can't replace Starks. Go watch how often Starks is double-teamed compared to Odrick. It would be a mistake to let either go. There are plenty of other over-paid players around here...and it isn't them.

49. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

(1) I'd get a new Offensive Coordinator and O-line coach. I think that Sherman is overprotective of Tannehill and it could be good to find someone with proven skills in developing QB's (preferably in a west coast system). Turner has been a disappointment coaching the O-line. The JMart situation should never have occurred. He should have been closer to the players.
    (2) I'd look for O-line talent in free agency and in the draft.
    (3) I'd look for a tough experienced RB in free agency. The best that I could afford. That doesn't mean that I'm giving up on Lamar Miller. I still think that he could be good, it's just having an each way bet.
    (4) Re-sign Brent Grimes, the finest free agent purchase that Jeff Ireland has ever made.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  50. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Lots of great ideas but the best punters play Australian rules football, not rugby or rugby league. Even most knowledgeable rugby and rugby league players would be honest enough to admit that the AFL punters are far superior. But this is not really applicable to Miami because we already have the best punter in the game in Fields. And he continues to get better.