Zim’s Grades For The Game: Playoff Edition | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Playoff Edition

Thanks Zimm.

The F grade for Coaching is too harsh, IMO.

McDaniel wasn‘t perfect and agree the speed of playcalling was definitely a problem. However, overall he called a good game and maximized the players available today with an aggressive approach to keep Buffalo uncomfortable. I especially liked the ballsy-ness of the deep shot at the end of the half.

I think a “C” is more fair and representative.
My reasoning on the F is the fact that in a pressure situation and with 55 seconds on a 4th and 1 he can’t get the play call right. But not just there…..We had problems with that all game and all year for that matter. Inexcusable in my book. Getting the play call in is supposed to be easy…Except for McDaniel.

Can’t believe someone would feel so self absorbed to post their grades of the game every week and not expect a huge pushback from us lol
Not at all….Come at me all you want. I expect it. I don’t think I’ve ever complained once about my grades being criticized. So….Have at it. That’s the point of this whole thread.

My grade for Zim this year:
F-

if you want to post something and seem even slightly subjective, how about you start by not mocking the HC?

And when was the last time Miami competed on the road in the playoffs? Probably before you were born.
Cry harder

Coaches cost the game. Pathetic performance in the biggest game of the season. Waddle was bad, coaches were worse

While I can agree with some of the observations at times it might be well worth the time to wait to collect all the facts that you can. McDaniel might be another Tony Soprano or Gase but he deserves a 2nd year. In years 2 we should learn the true stripes of what we have. I thought Flores was fine but then MCDaniel showed what Flores failed to do with Tua. Big believer in coaches developing the talent on their table McD did nothing but move backwards with Mike G and yes Gaskin no reason that we had a street agent on the roster at RB.

And who saw that coming?
Sanders has been perfect the last few weeks. I’d still like to bring in competition to keep a fire under Sanders. Moorstead was a stud all year not once did I think I complained about any of his punts. Bills didn’t do much on returns after 2 KOR TDs vs New England.

I agree with most of those grades. OL failure and secondary close to failure except for the Ints. Coaching was average but agreed, the delays when the season is on the line and false start penalties, I put on coaches although that's really player execution. Crossen and Kohou didn't figure to be year around starters and Rowe is okay blitzing but he's not a good safety.

I was definitely wrong on this one. I thought we were going to get totally embarrassed today. We didn’t. I have to say it was an impressive team effort by the guys on the field today. The story changes if our WR’s make those catches. If I’m a Bills fan today, I’m worried about next week. Josh Allen was not good today despite Tony Romo basically blowing him on the air. Regardless, we take the L. On to the grades:

QB — The Good: Skyler Thompson had some nice throws today. He was also the victim of some horrendous drops by our WR’s. 18 of 45 for 220 isn’t bad for a 7th round rookie in a playoff game.

The Bad: The problem was the 2 interceptions killed us. If he doesn’t throw those 2 picks…This would have been very interesting. The play calling fiasco between him and McGenius should NEVER happen in a playoff game. I blame McGenius for most of it….But Thompson takes some of the blame as well.

The Grade: D + . Not a great game by Thompson….And external forces contribute here to the low grade. Those include a BAD OL, WR drops, TE drops and being a rookie. No matter…I think we have a low cost backup for next year. Bridgewater should collect his gear now and just leave the building. One last word about Tua: If he’s in this game, we win it by 10.

RB’s — The Good: A TD dive by Wilson was a positive. He also had a nice catch and run for a first down that burned Milano. Ahmed did have 45 yards on 3 catches as well. Other than that not much to talk about here.

The Bad: 23 yards on 10 rushes isn’t good. 42 yards total rushing is bad.

The Grade: D + . Not much help from the OL here. I didn’t see many holes to run through at all. A drop by Wilson hurt us as well. This is barely a passing effort here, but because the OL was so bad….I gave them the D +.

WR’s — The Good: Hill and Waddle combined for 113 yards. Add in Wilson with a catch for 14 and that’s all there is to it.

The Bad: DROPS. Especially by Waddle crushed us today. Obviously, the QB is a hindrance here….But there were way too many drops today.

The Grade: F . Yes, they didn’t have an even decent QB throwing to them….But this unit way underperformed today. I don’t see how anyone gives them a passing grade.

TE’s — The Good: Gesicki’s TD. That’s it.

The Bad: Gesicki’s TD celebration. His 4th down drop. The awful run blocking.

The Grade: D - . Even with Gesicki’s TD, this unit was invisible today and I’m pretty sure Gesicki has played his last game for the Dolphins. They stay above the failing mark only because Gesicki caught a TD. We’re gonna need to add some talent here.

OL — The Good: There were some plays where Thompson wasn’t decapitated. Well….I think I remember 2 of them anyway.

The Bad: Without hyperbole, Thompson was hurried on at least half of his drop backs. No real movement on run blocks. Ugly. Very Ugly.

The Grade: F . There will be people saying that I should give a higher grade because of the injuries etc…. No. That’s not how it works. I grade the players on the field and the guys on the field today were overmatched. Period. That’s an F. Upgrading these guys has to be a priority in the off season.

DL — The Good: Scoop and score by Seiler. Only 107 yards total rushing allowed today. Wilkins loves to get under Allen’s skin and I love it. Seiler and Wilkins combined for 3 sacks. A good day by these guys.

The Bad: We need to get some pressure by only rushing 4 next year. We got none today…And we got none this year. But that doesn’t detract from an overall decent day.

The Grade: C + . We needed a stop near the end to get the ball back. We didn’t get it. That would have changed this to a B if we made the stop.

LB’s — The Good: Pressure by Phillips all day….Not to mention the amount of times I saw him get held with no call. Chubb with a strip sack. Baker made a couple plays. A decent effort by these guys.

The Bad: Baker getting burned for a TD and a penalty. Not being able to cover a TE to save our lives.

The Grade: B - . Great effort by these guys. They deserved a better outcome. The bulk of this grade comes from Phillips and Chubb. We need a couple new MLB’s next year.

DB’s — The Good: A nice pick by Howard and another one by Holland helped keep it close today. I would have liked to see some tighter coverage at times.

The Bad: The Achilles heal of the defense. Diggs had 114, Davis had 113. Not Good. We definitely need to upgrade this unit next year.

The Grade: D + . 2 picks is nice….But the Bills receivers running free all day hurt this unit. It looks to me like Howard is too far past his prime to keep paying what we’re paying him. I see a restructure in his future.

ST’s — The Good: Cedrick Wilson with a great punt return….Sanders made all his kicks….. Morstead with a decent day punting. Good day for these guys.

The Bad: Not much to complain about at all.

The Grade: B +. Not quite an A day…But close. If Morstead drives a couple more of those punts….it’s an A grade.

Coaching — The Good: This very depleted team fought back all day…. And actually should have won this game…For that…McDaniel and the rest of the coaching staff deserve credit.

The Bad: Can someone please explain to me why it takes McGenius 35 seconds to get the play in every down?? Today, it cost us the game. Literally. You could blame it on Thompson a little…But this has happened all year. Awful. Also, why does it take Boyer 2 quarters before he realizes that they were going to Diggs on every play? Stupid.

The Grade: F . Yes…This team fought today. However, not being able to get a ****ing play call in on time ALL DAY is inexcusable.

The Conclusion: Despite the F grade today, I’ll give McGenius a pass and give him next year. Hopefully, the injuries aren’t as bad as they were this year. However, Grier has to go. Just sayin. This was a VERY winnable game today. I would say 4 plays cost us this game. If I’m a Bills fan, I wouldn’t be happy at all with this win. I mean…They barely beat a team of backups with a 3rd string QB. Also, I’ll say this again….Josh Allen is WAY overrated. On to the off-season.
I'd hate to see these grades if we got blown out! I thought the secondary played well after the first quarter and the two picks were great. ST was solid overall. Didn't give up big plays, Sanders hit all his FG attempts and Wilson had a big return. I thought the TE's did well in the passing game..at least a C or so although I can't really say how they blocked. McDaniel had his team ready to play which should count for something even with the poor clock management, the play call on the second int, and the disaster on 4th and 1. I'd give him a C.

Agreed. What I liked was that our big time or highly paid players all made big plays on that unit : X w a pick that started the turnaround, Holland w a pick that led to points, Seiler w the scoop and core, Wilkins w tipped balls and sacks, Chubb w a strip sack. Against that QB and offense - what an effort
The defense really stepped up after the first quarter. I'd love to see the Bills stats between quarters 2-4. I didn't realize we had 7 sacks. That's amazing.

The defense really stepped up after the first quarter. I'd love to see the Bills stats between quarters 2-4. I didn't realize we had 7 sacks. That's amazing.
At one point Allen had only 60 yards or so in the 2’d half

Coaching cost us this one. McDaniel **** the bed.
Dude, we lost by 3 points on the road starting our 7th round rookie QB playing against one of the best young QBs in the league. I wouldn’t call that shitting the bed. We’re there some issues getting the plays in that resulted some clock management and delay of game issues? Yes, but in general, I would rate McD’s first season witht he dolphins as a success. Way more positive than negative with this one.

"Coaching cost us this one."

The Dolphins started their third string quarterback, a 7th round rookie project, and lost to a more talented team by three points on the road.

Delays of game and all, it's hard for me to **** on the coach after that one.
I agree, it’s unreal. This is the kind of game we get blown away in years past.

People need to go back and watch some of the Shula/Marino playoff games so they can be a bit more objective. Too many fans look through a narrow lens of expectations and conveniently overlook the great plays their team made and the mistakes their opponents made. Look at the decimation of injuries.

They played like a team that believed they could win and almost pulled it off. To not give the coach some credit for that is asinine.

Back
Top Bottom