Zim’s Grades For The Game: Playoff Edition | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Playoff Edition

Dude, we lost by 3 points on the road starting our 7th round rookie QB playing against one of the best young QBs in the league. I wouldn’t call that shitting the bed. Were there some issues getting the plays in that resulted some clock management and delay of game issues? Yes, but in general, I would rate McD’s first season witht he dolphins as a success. Way more positive than negative with this one.
100% agree. He’ll get better and he’s already shown what he can do with an offence.

I was definitely wrong on this one. I thought we were going to get totally embarrassed today. We didn’t. I have to say it was an impressive team effort by the guys on the field today. The story changes if our WR’s make those catches. If I’m a Bills fan today, I’m worried about next week. Josh Allen was not good today despite Tony Romo basically blowing him on the air. Regardless, we take the L. On to the grades:

QB — The Good: Skyler Thompson had some nice throws today. He was also the victim of some horrendous drops by our WR’s. 18 of 45 for 220 isn’t bad for a 7th round rookie in a playoff game.

The Bad: The problem was the 2 interceptions killed us. If he doesn’t throw those 2 picks…This would have been very interesting. The play calling fiasco between him and McGenius should NEVER happen in a playoff game. I blame McGenius for most of it….But Thompson takes some of the blame as well.

The Grade: D + . Not a great game by Thompson….And external forces contribute here to the low grade. Those include a BAD OL, WR drops, TE drops and being a rookie. No matter…I think we have a low cost backup for next year. Bridgewater should collect his gear now and just leave the building. One last word about Tua: If he’s in this game, we win it by 10.

RB’s — The Good: A TD dive by Wilson was a positive. He also had a nice catch and run for a first down that burned Milano. Ahmed did have 45 yards on 3 catches as well. Other than that not much to talk about here.

The Bad: 23 yards on 10 rushes isn’t good. 42 yards total rushing is bad.

The Grade: D + . Not much help from the OL here. I didn’t see many holes to run through at all. A drop by Wilson hurt us as well. This is barely a passing effort here, but because the OL was so bad….I gave them the D +.

WR’s — The Good: Hill and Waddle combined for 113 yards. Add in Wilson with a catch for 14 and that’s all there is to it.

The Bad: DROPS. Especially by Waddle crushed us today. Obviously, the QB is a hindrance here….But there were way too many drops today.

The Grade: F . Yes, they didn’t have an even decent QB throwing to them….But this unit way underperformed today. I don’t see how anyone gives them a passing grade.

TE’s — The Good: Gesicki’s TD. That’s it.

The Bad: Gesicki’s TD celebration. His 4th down drop. The awful run blocking.

The Grade: D - . Even with Gesicki’s TD, this unit was invisible today and I’m pretty sure Gesicki has played his last game for the Dolphins. They stay above the failing mark only because Gesicki caught a TD. We’re gonna need to add some talent here.

OL — The Good: There were some plays where Thompson wasn’t decapitated. Well….I think I remember 2 of them anyway.

The Bad: Without hyperbole, Thompson was hurried on at least half of his drop backs. No real movement on run blocks. Ugly. Very Ugly.

The Grade: F . There will be people saying that I should give a higher grade because of the injuries etc…. No. That’s not how it works. I grade the players on the field and the guys on the field today were overmatched. Period. That’s an F. Upgrading these guys has to be a priority in the off season.

DL — The Good: Scoop and score by Seiler. Only 107 yards total rushing allowed today. Wilkins loves to get under Allen’s skin and I love it. Seiler and Wilkins combined for 3 sacks. A good day by these guys.

The Bad: We need to get some pressure by only rushing 4 next year. We got none today…And we got none this year. But that doesn’t detract from an overall decent day.

The Grade: C + . We needed a stop near the end to get the ball back. We didn’t get it. That would have changed this to a B if we made the stop.

LB’s — The Good: Pressure by Phillips all day….Not to mention the amount of times I saw him get held with no call. Chubb with a strip sack. Baker made a couple plays. A decent effort by these guys.

The Bad: Baker getting burned for a TD and a penalty. Not being able to cover a TE to save our lives.

The Grade: B - . Great effort by these guys. They deserved a better outcome. The bulk of this grade comes from Phillips and Chubb. We need a couple new MLB’s next year.

DB’s — The Good: A nice pick by Howard and another one by Holland helped keep it close today. I would have liked to see some tighter coverage at times.

The Bad: The Achilles heal of the defense. Diggs had 114, Davis had 113. Not Good. We definitely need to upgrade this unit next year.

The Grade: D + . 2 picks is nice….But the Bills receivers running free all day hurt this unit. It looks to me like Howard is too far past his prime to keep paying what we’re paying him. I see a restructure in his future.

ST’s — The Good: Cedrick Wilson with a great punt return….Sanders made all his kicks….. Morstead with a decent day punting. Good day for these guys.

The Bad: Not much to complain about at all.

The Grade: B +. Not quite an A day…But close. If Morstead drives a couple more of those punts….it’s an A grade.

Coaching — The Good: This very depleted team fought back all day…. And actually should have won this game…For that…McDaniel and the rest of the coaching staff deserve credit.

The Bad: Can someone please explain to me why it takes McGenius 35 seconds to get the play in every down?? Today, it cost us the game. Literally. You could blame it on Thompson a little…But this has happened all year. Awful. Also, why does it take Boyer 2 quarters before he realizes that they were going to Diggs on every play? Stupid.

The Grade: F . Yes…This team fought today. However, not being able to get a ****ing play call in on time ALL DAY is inexcusable.

The Conclusion: Despite the F grade today, I’ll give McGenius a pass and give him next year. Hopefully, the injuries aren’t as bad as they were this year. However, Grier has to go. Just sayin. This was a VERY winnable game today. I would say 4 plays cost us this game. If I’m a Bills fan, I wouldn’t be happy at all with this win. I mean…They barely beat a team of backups with a 3rd string QB. Also, I’ll say this again….Josh Allen is WAY overrated. On to the off-season.
McDaniel Committed Pre-Meditated Murder of the Dolphins Season! F minus minus for him!

I don’t care that the game was closer than anyone would have thought. Heck, I would have bet my life savings on the Bills -13, -16, -20, and in fact I would have bet the mercy rule would have been in effect by halftime and the game called due to con-competitiveness. It is not possible for a roster full of backups to compete with one of the best teams in the NFL. Yet somehow they were.

However, I do not care that the game should not have been close. The fact of the matter is the game was close, and we had a chance to win.

AND TO NOT BE ABLE TO GET A STINKING PLAY IN? Especially after a Bill’s player was injured, and it was basically a timeout and caused them to put 25 seconds back onto the snap clock? And it is not even complicated at that point, just sneak it.

This problem was going on the whole game too. They couldn’t even get plays in on time after calling timeouts. Total disaster, and that is all on the head coach, not the QB. Sorry Romo (ps boy is that guy awful now).

Then we can’t challenge the bad spots, it might have been a first down anyway, because we had to burn timeouts because we couldn’t get plays in on time.

And the other stupid play call on Skylar’s 2nd INT, backed up where we were and the way the game was going, just don’t put the kid in a spot to make a mistake like that.

As stupid as some of the things I have seen are, like the Pats Meyer’s Lemon play against the Raiders, this was even dumber. At least that crap happened in the moment, by mistake. Like the butt fumble. Watching the Dolphins stupidity was basically the difference between murder, and pre-meditated murder. Could have been the dumbest thing in the entire history of the NFL. I am not kidding. Just outright inexcusable.

I have no idea what is going on with McDaniel. I want a special counsel, and a special counsel for the special counsel. Did McDaniel leave his brain and common sense in Biden’s garage next to the corvette? This was embarrassing.

PS for those that think we made progress this year, due to an offense that looked functional and produced highlight film plays, think again. The regular season winning percentage the last two seasons was better under Flores, with less talent on the roster and a lesser developed QB (granted in part Flores fault w/respect to the QB). It shows you penalties, turnovers, discipline, execution, and not being stupid and thinking you are playing Madden football actually matters.

PPS Now what? Everyone keeps their jobs including Grier? So nothing changes? I guess McDaniel gets the benefit of the doubt still, but Grier, Boyer, and the special team coach? And back to the broken roster with an OL that still can’t stay intact after all of that, a bunch of old overpaid bums they are stuck with, a QB that is very one dimensional and can’t stay on the field, no draft capital, up against the cap, and a head coach that thinks he is playing Madden football but can’t get the plays in on time?

PPPS Someone try helping the rookie QB out and try catching the ball.

YUCK!!!!

I don’t care that the game was closer than anyone would have thought. Heck, I would have bet my life savings on the Bills -13, -16, -20, and in fact I would have bet the mercy rule would have been in effect by halftime and the game called due to con-competitiveness. It is not possible for a roster full of backups to compete with one of the best teams in the NFL. Yet somehow they were.

However, I do not care that the game should not have been close. The fact of the matter is the game was close, and we had a chance to win.

AND TO NOT BE ABLE TO GET A STINKING PLAY IN? Especially after a Bill’s player was injured, and it was basically a timeout and caused them to put 25 seconds back onto the snap clock? And it is not even complicated at that point, just sneak it.

This problem was going on the whole game too. They couldn’t even get plays in on time after calling timeouts. Total disaster, and that is all on the head coach, not the QB. Sorry Romo (ps boy is that guy awful now).

Then we can’t challenge the bad spots, it might have been a first down anyway, because we had to burn timeouts because we couldn’t get plays in on time.

And the other stupid play call on Skylar’s 2nd INT, backed up where we were and the way the game was going, just don’t put the kid in a spot to make a mistake like that.

As stupid as some of the things I have seen are, like the Pats Meyer’s Lemon play against the Raiders, this was even dumber. At least that crap happened in the moment, by mistake. Like the butt fumble. Watching the Dolphins stupidity was basically the difference between murder, and pre-meditated murder. Could have been the dumbest thing in the entire history of the NFL. I am not kidding. Just outright inexcusable.

I have no idea what is going on with McDaniel. I want a special counsel, and a special counsel for the special counsel. Did McDaniel leave his brain and common sense in Biden’s garage next to the corvette? This was embarrassing.

PS for those that think we made progress this year, due to an offense that looked functional and produced highlight film plays, think again. The regular season winning percentage the last two seasons was better under Flores, with less talent on the roster and a lesser developed QB (granted in part Flores fault w/respect to the QB). It shows you penalties, turnovers, discipline, execution, and not being stupid and thinking you are playing Madden football actually matters.

PPS Now what? Everyone keeps their jobs including Grier? So nothing changes? I guess McDaniel gets the benefit of the doubt still, but Grier, Boyer, and the special team coach? And back to the broken roster with an OL that still can’t stay intact after all of that, a bunch of old overpaid bums they are stuck with, a QB that is very one dimensional and can’t stay on the field, no draft capital, up against the cap, and a head coach that thinks he is playing Madden football but can’t get the plays in on time?

YUCK!!!!

Was blown away by how close this game was. Not sure if it says more about us or the bills lol

Our D line deserved better than a C+. They did an excellent job at containing Allen and preventing multiple back breaking runs. Wilkens and Seiler were balling and made multiple plays for us..they deserve a B as a unit.

I thought ST played better than last week and was a victim of too many drops, that first one to Waddle and then the seam pass that went right through Gesicki’s hands killed him. The interceptions hurt and when the Bills started sending pressure he continuously bailed and rolled to his right which played into the Bills hands. That Cotton dude was a turnstile all day..deserved a C minus.

Coaching time management was lower than an F, it was beyond awful but we lost by 3 points to a better team in their house so the grade has to be much higher.

McDaniel Committed Pre-Meditated Murder of the Dolphins Season! F minus minus for him!

YUCK!!!!

YUCK!!!!
How many times are you going to spam this? Once was enough.

Grades are pretty harsh today Zim. I’m proud to be a Dolphins fan today. Today actually gives me so much hope for the future. It’s the first time since we won a playoff game in 2000 where we weren’t completely embarrassed by the opponent and this was with a 3rd string rookie 7th round QB, a depleted Oline and a depleted secondary on the road as huge underdogs. Honestly I couldn’t be more proud today with a game we didn’t win

I was definitely wrong on this one. I thought we were going to get totally embarrassed today. We didn’t. I have to say it was an impressive team effort by the guys on the field today. The story changes if our WR’s make those catches. If I’m a Bills fan today, I’m worried about next week. Josh Allen was not good today despite Tony Romo basically blowing him on the air. Regardless, we take the L. On to the grades:

QB — The Good: Skyler Thompson had some nice throws today. He was also the victim of some horrendous drops by our WR’s. 18 of 45 for 220 isn’t bad for a 7th round rookie in a playoff game.

The Bad: The problem was the 2 interceptions killed us. If he doesn’t throw those 2 picks…This would have been very interesting. The play calling fiasco between him and McGenius should NEVER happen in a playoff game. I blame McGenius for most of it….But Thompson takes some of the blame as well.

The Grade: D + . Not a great game by Thompson….And external forces contribute here to the low grade. Those include a BAD OL, WR drops, TE drops and being a rookie. No matter…I think we have a low cost backup for next year. Bridgewater should collect his gear now and just leave the building. One last word about Tua: If he’s in this game, we win it by 10.

RB’s — The Good: A TD dive by Wilson was a positive. He also had a nice catch and run for a first down that burned Milano. Ahmed did have 45 yards on 3 catches as well. Other than that not much to talk about here.

The Bad: 23 yards on 10 rushes isn’t good. 42 yards total rushing is bad.

The Grade: D + . Not much help from the OL here. I didn’t see many holes to run through at all. A drop by Wilson hurt us as well. This is barely a passing effort here, but because the OL was so bad….I gave them the D +.

WR’s — The Good: Hill and Waddle combined for 113 yards. Add in Wilson with a catch for 14 and that’s all there is to it.

The Bad: DROPS. Especially by Waddle crushed us today. Obviously, the QB is a hindrance here….But there were way too many drops today.

The Grade: F . Yes, they didn’t have an even decent QB throwing to them….But this unit way underperformed today. I don’t see how anyone gives them a passing grade.

TE’s — The Good: Gesicki’s TD. That’s it.

The Bad: Gesicki’s TD celebration. His 4th down drop. The awful run blocking.

The Grade: D - . Even with Gesicki’s TD, this unit was invisible today and I’m pretty sure Gesicki has played his last game for the Dolphins. They stay above the failing mark only because Gesicki caught a TD. We’re gonna need to add some talent here.

OL — The Good: There were some plays where Thompson wasn’t decapitated. Well….I think I remember 2 of them anyway.

The Bad: Without hyperbole, Thompson was hurried on at least half of his drop backs. No real movement on run blocks. Ugly. Very Ugly.

The Grade: F . There will be people saying that I should give a higher grade because of the injuries etc…. No. That’s not how it works. I grade the players on the field and the guys on the field today were overmatched. Period. That’s an F. Upgrading these guys has to be a priority in the off season.

DL — The Good: Scoop and score by Seiler. Only 107 yards total rushing allowed today. Wilkins loves to get under Allen’s skin and I love it. Seiler and Wilkins combined for 3 sacks. A good day by these guys.

The Bad: We need to get some pressure by only rushing 4 next year. We got none today…And we got none this year. But that doesn’t detract from an overall decent day.

The Grade: C + . We needed a stop near the end to get the ball back. We didn’t get it. That would have changed this to a B if we made the stop.

LB’s — The Good: Pressure by Phillips all day….Not to mention the amount of times I saw him get held with no call. Chubb with a strip sack. Baker made a couple plays. A decent effort by these guys.

The Bad: Baker getting burned for a TD and a penalty. Not being able to cover a TE to save our lives.

The Grade: B - . Great effort by these guys. They deserved a better outcome. The bulk of this grade comes from Phillips and Chubb. We need a couple new MLB’s next year.

DB’s — The Good: A nice pick by Howard and another one by Holland helped keep it close today. I would have liked to see some tighter coverage at times.

The Bad: The Achilles heal of the defense. Diggs had 114, Davis had 113. Not Good. We definitely need to upgrade this unit next year.

The Grade: D + . 2 picks is nice….But the Bills receivers running free all day hurt this unit. It looks to me like Howard is too far past his prime to keep paying what we’re paying him. I see a restructure in his future.

ST’s — The Good: Cedrick Wilson with a great punt return….Sanders made all his kicks….. Morstead with a decent day punting. Good day for these guys.

The Bad: Not much to complain about at all.

The Grade: B +. Not quite an A day…But close. If Morstead drives a couple more of those punts….it’s an A grade.

Coaching — The Good: This very depleted team fought back all day…. And actually should have won this game…For that…McDaniel and the rest of the coaching staff deserve credit.

The Bad: Can someone please explain to me why it takes McGenius 35 seconds to get the play in every down?? Today, it cost us the game. Literally. You could blame it on Thompson a little…But this has happened all year. Awful. Also, why does it take Boyer 2 quarters before he realizes that they were going to Diggs on every play? Stupid.

The Grade: F . Yes…This team fought today. However, not being able to get a ****ing play call in on time ALL DAY is inexcusable.

The Conclusion: Despite the F grade today, I’ll give McGenius a pass and give him next year. Hopefully, the injuries aren’t as bad as they were this year. However, Grier has to go. Just sayin. This was a VERY winnable game today. I would say 4 plays cost us this game. If I’m a Bills fan, I wouldn’t be happy at all with this win. I mean…They barely beat a team of backups with a 3rd string QB. Also, I’ll say this again….Josh Allen is WAY overrated. On to the off-season.
One more thing I do not get. To be clear, I am not arguing McGenius should be fired. He deserves the benefit of the doubt for now, and shows some potential. His issues, in theory should not be hard to clean up, although zebras tend not to change their stripes.

However, I cannot understand the attaboys McGenius is getting for the loss.

-Most importantly, the only reason this was a game was because of the defense and special teams. McDaniel has NOTHING to do with the defense. McDaniel is totally hands off when it comes to the defense. The defense is led by Josh Boyer, who many want fired, including me. Same for the special teams coach who many want gone too. The defense scored 7 points. They generated turnovers, which gave the team field position, where the points came from. The FG kicker finally made the kicks. And we had a nice punt return as well, which generated points. The McGenius offense did nothing the whole game for the most part, except make stupid mistakes, give Buffalo points off of dumb turnovers (including the idiotic 3rd and 19 pass), and not be able to get plays in when the defense got them the ball back again with a chance to win the game. The fact that this game was competitive was all about the most maligned side of the ball, and the most maligned coaches, that might not be here next year. The McGenius side of the operation blew the game, every which way possible. And he is getting attaboys? Are you kidding me? Give the attaboys to Josh Boyer of all people, he is the one who deserves them. Yet he will be fired, and Grier stays????

-Then we sound like a loser city once again giving props for a loss, I don’t care how many injuries we had. There was a chance to win the game, and we blew it. In a really awful and stupid and inexcusable fashion. That was all McGenius. The operation put us in a spot where we had no timeouts to deal with the problem. We just went through celebrating a loss to Buffalo, I was told we could beat anyone after that, and we promptly lost the next two games against two not very good teams (and finished the season losing 6 of 7). Enough with the celebrating losses. The organization does not need the bar lowered further, it is low enough!

The national guys get it at least, see their comments:

PS apparently already $20mm over the cap for next year once the futures signings are made. Nice work by Grier!!!

Thanks again for doing these Zim.

That Miami essentially needed 15 more yards to potentially tie it with a FG, says a lot. This team really fought hard, especially with the rough start and trailing 17-0.

I thought Howard's interception turned the momentum. He had a rough year, but still shows he's a playmaker.

Conversely, Thompson's second interception was a killer. Throw that one away and maybe we're talking about an incredible victory.

That said, the offensive line was terrible today so it's not all on Thompson.

That early drop by Waddle hurt as well. Make that play and maybe the Dolphins get off to a fast start.

This team needs to learn to finish games.

At one point Allen had only 60 yards or so in the 2’d half
At one point in the second half he had 0 yards.
Think About It GIF by Identity

Back
Top Bottom