Zim’s Grades For The Game: Preseason Game 1 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Preseason Game 1

Just finished watching the game, actually I didn't even bother with most of the 4th quarter. I thought for the most part everything was "OK". It's preseason game 1.

My only big takeaway personally with regard to individuals was....Malcolm Brown. Dude is a clone of Jordan Howard. He looked terrible. No vision, no burst, no shiftiness, and was awful on short yardage.

...and doesn't deserve to wear #34
I think everyone is pretty much on the same page about Brown.

For me, the most telling thing about Brown wasn't numbers or results. It was one play in particular in which he had space briefly, and came upon a defender (either a DB or smaller LB) a few yards downfield, and it looked like he couldn't decide whether he wanted to try to juke the guy or drive his shoulder to him, and as a result he did neither and basically fell down as soon as the defender grabbed him. It was pathetic.

If 6 years into the league you've done next to nothing, you are what you are.

Jackson has pretty good feet and movement for a OL left tackle
Hunt the best guard taken in last year's draft.
Kindley is a mountain of man with the ability to run block
The Notre Dame rookie guard/tackle probably the most NFL ready Oline in this year's draft.
Now we have had a different one coach 3 years in a row. That's the issue that needs to be fixed imo

Jesse Davis is a fantastic role player, when his role is a swing backup to fill in for injured starters.

Eich needs to be placed at RT and told that's where we want you to be for the next 10yrs.

1628989145982.png

I reference this play from Brown above. Dude catches a dump off from with nobody around. Starts going and sees the DB coming. Begins a juke move, realizes he's got no chance, and our supposed power RB makes himself a sitting duck for a skinny DB to light up when he's the one who's supposed to be laying the wood on small defenders in the open field.

I saw better power running from Snowflake.

Just watched highlights. I won't get those 6mins back. I'm getting old.

All I know is we will be picking up more oline in the draft and FA in 2022. I also hope we get a legit starting RB next year hopefully rounds 1 or 2.

I disagree with Dieter playing well. He was on the ground a lot.
That was the only thing I noticed about Dieter today. He ended up on the floor far too frequently. Not a good sign.

I have been a die-hard fan for 50 years, and I would like to offer a perspective I have rarely, if ever, seen on this board (before we start slitting our wrists).

I remember well, back in the 70's, 80's & early 90's when the Dolphins would consistently win between 12-16 games a year as if it was normal. We would consistently vie for the AFC championship. When I was much younger, I always wondered why so many other teams were always trash.

When Shula was forced out, I wondered where the Fins would go from there. Obviously they then slid into the depths of mediocrity and the trash pile where all those OTHER teams were. And my point is.... COACHING! While I enjoyed my Fins when they won of course, I had not had any faith that they COULD win consistently, until now. And it's not about 1 preseason game, it's about the growth and development process. From Flores' first year, I knew this was a 3 - 5 year plan to make the Fins RELEVANT & COMPETITIVE again. Remember, the Fins completely gutted the roster just under two years ago so they could start over from scratch. And while NONE of us expected it, last year was arguably a pleasant surprise to all of us. We were celebrating a level of competitiveness we haven't seen in 25 years. Now we are just STARTING year three of the plan. (and I might argue 2 1/2, because of no offseason development and preseason last year). But we have seen extraordinary progress in this PROCESS.

Now, while it may be a self-centered entertainment to grade the 1st preseason game as if it's the 18th game of the season, I see two issues to keep in mind, and they're both a matter of perspective. We should EXPECT that a new line (comprising 3 2nd year players, 1 rookie, and one 3rd year player whose been developing (Dieter), and sometimes Davis, has a LOT of growing to do. Today's test against one of the best D-Lines of VETERANS in the league produced just as expected.

In a 1st preseason game, with one of (if not THE) youngest lines in the league, we were able to move the ball. Tua's 3 drives consumed 21:08 out of the 30 minutes of the first half; Notwithstanding the 1st 3-&-out possession in which we threw one away and dropped another pass, whether you liked what you saw in the run game or not, we moved the ball. After the first 2 passes in the trash possession, Tua connected on 8 for 8 of his next 8 passes (including the 50-yarder to Gesicke), until the end-zone pick.
Overall, 8 -11, 1 INT. 99 yards. On the 2nd & 3rd TUA possessions, we ball-control marched the field. So there were nearly 80 yards of rushing mixed in. Point: while the eyes perceived a poor line, we had rushing production. With VANILLA play calling. Against a great DLINE. And several times, the announcers correctly pointed out how well the TE's sealed the edge for some of the better runs... so what I saw, was that even though we don't have a top-10 line, we can be competitive, and I haven't seen this much growth in this team since 1994.

Recently, the FINS were rated #1 in the league in under-25 talent. So if grading ANYTHING, I would be more interested in grading the PROCESS of this team growing, developing, and becoming a top-4 competitive team in the AFC, and a top 8 team in the league. And though we are CAP-strapped this year, we have PLENTY of CAP space NEXT year. I can only see us getting better. I just can't get hung up on every speed bump I see.

Finally, players aren't static robots. They DO develop and get better, and they will also get better as a group, working together. Getting the details, timing, technique, strength, execution, & chemistry right is a very difficult process. Do I WORRY about where Iggy is RIGHT NOW? No. He's got another year at least to develop before I consider whether he'll be the pro I am hoping for. But he's showing better than last year! Haven't you seen development from Needham? Rowe? Baker? Sieler? AVG? And yes, I see development in Wilkins. I have seen massive growth in Tua, Hunt, & Dieter. And wait and see what TUA becomes even NEXT year! I see SO many of you guys judging each player like you're building a fantasy football team. Do I expect the fins to have top-10 players in every position? No. Do I even expect the entire unit (OL) to be top 10 to be competitive? No. But we can win with this team. With TUA as our QB. and with Flores as our coach. We haven't had THIS trajectory in 25 years. So enjoy what is cooking right in front of you!

Just finished watching the game, actually I didn't even bother with most of the 4th quarter. I thought for the most part everything was "OK". It's preseason game 1.

My only big takeaway personally with regard to individuals was....Malcolm Brown. Dude is a clone of Jordan Howard. He looked terrible. No vision, no burst, no shiftiness, and was awful on short yardage.

...and doesn't deserve to wear #34
Share your take with Brown. Would not keep him unless he is good with ST.

Just some quick hits-

. Tua was solid up until his desperation throw to end the half. He was throwing people open, and his timing and confidence was noticeably better.
. Ahmed ran hard, legit speed and showed nice hands on the TD.
. I'm not stressed out just yet on the OL because they were giving Tua a clean pocket, but the run game was very vanilla and obvious so it didnt do anyone any favors.
. Hollins will make this team, maybe even over Bowden.
. Starting defense minus a bunch of starters looked very good, very excited for this side of the ball.
. Needham, Coleman, Rowe, Perry, even Fej made some timely plays that stalled drives.
. Ledbetter is back and flashed, I think he makes the squad.
. Our 3rd string defense lb unit is pretty bad, horrible angles taken almost every play.
. Laird over Doaks so far.
. Please no more Waddle at PR during the preseason.
. Would have rather kept Rudock than Sinnett as 3rd QB.
. I'm drafting Jason Sanders in fantasy

Austin Jackson was so so bad

Perhaps it’s time you become a fan of the Texans or Packers. Because you obviously are going to be miserable as a Dolphin fan as long as Tua is the teams QB and Tua will be the teams QB for at least the next decade or longer.

Since you love Watson and Rogers and hate Tua, it would likely be better for your mental health to change teams and root for the QB’s you love. Because neither Rogers or Watson are ever going to be the Dolphins QB and you obviously aren’t going to enjoy rooting for the Dolphins as long as Tua is the teams QB.

Because it is obviously Tua’s fault that the team has a terrible offensive line and below average RB’s. Since the line doesn’t seem to be getting better and the RB’s are what they are, Tua obviously hasn’t done enough to improve these areas of the team. I thought that was Grier’s job but you have made it very clear that the fault is Tua’s.

I have tried to understand your comments regarding Tua but now those comments have gone from
confusing to absurd. I just wonder why you would want to trade for Watson. Since you blame Tua for everything wrong with the Dolphins. I just wonder why Watson couldn’t do a better job of getting the Texans defense to play better last year and how dare he throw 7 interceptions last year.
Welcome to HAWAII anytime braddah! :UP:

I'd give our QBs a C+. Pick in the Endzone was inexcusable. Tua's arm looked sluggish. Brisset's looked alive and strong.
Tua: D
Brisset: B

Our WRs: F. No where to be found and when thrown to had no separation at all.

Rookie draft class: F. I'm pretty sure half of them are injured. Other half, non-existent.

TE: B. Gisecki, was our entire receiving core, so sad.

RBs. Very mixed on this. Brown looked awful. Gaskin looked good and had some solid runs. Nothing too exciting. C.

O-line: F all day. Our 2nd string line was the worst I think I've ever witnessed. Disgusted.

Defense over all, B. Looked solid but we had a few blown coverages. Honestly, Iggy looked lost and totally confused.

This was an awful showing for Preseason. I'd even call it embarrassing.

This was just Preseason, I know. But, this was so very far from what I was expecting.

. Tua was solid up until his desperation throw to end the half. He was throwing people open, and his timing and confidence was noticeably better.
Not sure I follow. Tua didn't play at the end of the half? His interception was early in the 2nd quarter and on 1st down.

Back
Top Bottom