Zim’s Grades For The Game: Preseason Game 1 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Preseason Game 1

If Foster makes the roster it will be because of ST. You definitely don't make the team if you're a middling receiver prospect and you drop your only pass.

Foster is in 4th year in the league and is 27 years old. I'm not sure "prospect" applies to him anymore.

I watched the first half, and was in and out during the second half. May be i missed. I did not see Waddle was targeted once. I thought he is our most dangerous weapon, and his return did not show any limping.
I am questiong the play call and play design. Not even one screen or jet sweep?

Im watching replays and Deiter (63) looks really good at Center. Skura looked a bit weak against backups.

Foster is in 4th year in the league and is 27 years old. I'm not sure "prospect" applies to him anymore.
Yeah, prospect was a word choice that had the wrong connotation. Only meant prospect in the sense that he's an unproven player fighting for a roster spot and likely on the outside looking in.

Not said it before but im getting pissed off now with the OL. Not one positive about any player on that line. I was half expecting a couple of players to get rank negatives but im not getting any positive waves at all. When are they going to sort that unit?? They are throwing players at that unit but failing to produce. Not even yrs now. We are talking decades now and it's beyond a joke now. Coaching? Drafting? Something isn't right.

I thought Oline did well overall, especially in the run game. Skilled positions on offense a big nothing other than Gesicki.
Dline looked awful and slow but then again they had to chase Justin Fields and he is blazing fast. I think we rushed 4 a lot, but still, they did not look good.
Secondary looked great and that is important.
Returers, kickers, look good.

Right now Dieter is our starting center, we’ll see where it ends up, but he seems to have held up pretty well against the Bears who have one of the best front’s in the NFL, and I said “looks like he’s developed into a starting center”. Wilkins is nowhere near Dion Jordan. We could’ve drafted TJ Watt who is who I would’ve drafted, but Wilkins is a solid rotational player who plays tons of meaningful snaps so he’s a solid player.

Tua is our starting QB and he looks like he has take a massive leap from last year, and I don’t think the verdict is out on Robert Hunt, him and Davis are the two players from that draft who seem to be universally lauded as beasts around the league and those analysts who cover the league etc. But it is too early to judge 2020 and 2021 draft class which goes both ways in that Austin Davis, Solomon Kindley, and IGGY all need more time before we can jump to any conclusions. I was more talking about the OP giving an F to the FO which I thought was a bit harsh that’s all I was saying. We have more depth and competition at all positions than I remember in 20 years.

Agreed, and that is without even counting this draft. I really believe we took 3 players (Waddle, Phillips, Holland) with the potential to be top 5 to 10 at their positions or at least very solid players who can change games.

I don't agree with every move or strategy the FO has made, but there is no rational way to give them an F.

3 points, 0 TD, 1 INT....i just made it up.
No you made up the 5 drives. Then 4 drives. It was 3 drives and 3 points.

they shoulda let tua throw it from the one just so he coulda scored . It still would not have impressed you and we would have given one of our red Zone plays away.

I watched the first half, and was in and out during the second half. May be i missed. I did not see Waddle was targeted once. I thought he is our most dangerous weapon, and his return did not show any limping.
I am questiong the play call and play design. Not even one screen or jet sweep?
You do realize it is preseason and therefore the offensive and defensive schemes are going to be very vanilla at this time?

I have no doubt they have screens and sweeps in their offense but there is no reason to use those plays during preseason games if they are planning to use them once the regular season begins.

The preseason is about going over fundamentals, getting into football shape and finding the best 53 players to go into the season with. It’s not about giving your opponent in the first game anymore information than is necessary.

Fair point on that procession. I just wish Tua has the ball or feel comfortable to audible into a pass play.
Again, it is preseason and I have no doubt they ran 3 plays from inside the 7 yard line because the coaches wanted to see if the offensive line and RB’s could get into the end zone. It was the passing of Tua that got them to the 7 yards line to begin with.

I‘m sure they would have had Tua pass at least once on those three downs if it was the regular season but in preseason they need to see if the OL can get the job done or not. Obviously the OL still has a lot of work to do in opening holes in the running game. Especially near the opponents goal line.

Since it is preseason and the coaches are trying to learn about different units on the offense, I seriously doubt if they want Tua to call an audible if they want to see how the OL is blocking in that situation. During the regular season I would expect Tua to have the ability to audible in that situation.

Remember, wins are meaningless in the preseason but coaches learning the strengths and weaknesses of each player on their roster is all that matters right now. The coaches learned today that the the OL is still a weakness and especially a weakness near the goal line when they try to run the ball.

The players and coaches have three weeks left to improve that weakness.

Just finished watching the game, actually I didn't even bother with most of the 4th quarter. I thought for the most part everything was "OK". It's preseason game 1.

My only big takeaway personally with regard to individuals was....Malcolm Brown. Dude is a clone of Jordan Howard. He looked terrible. No vision, no burst, no shiftiness, and was awful on short yardage.

...and doesn't deserve to wear #34

IMO our 1st string offense moved the chains vs their 1st string defense fairly well. There were certainly times when the play calling seemed to focus on achieving a goal outside of scoring. In particular, running the ball vs an elite front in the red zone. Our 1st string defense pretty much shut down their 1st string offense. The Bears only won because of Fields’ late game “heroics” vs guys who won’t even make our final roster.

Back
Top Bottom