1,000 text messages exchanged between Incognito and Martin | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1,000 text messages exchanged between Incognito and Martin

Most suggest the planning started way before he quit. The plan actually started after he quit. Once he quit, he had nothing to lose by taking this chance. You are really not taking inconsideration the money he was awarded from contract. All that would of been lost automatically when he quit. He may have had to give back money as well, depending on the wording of his contract. When Ricky Williams quit, because of what was in his contract, he was sued for 8 mill dollars that Ricky received upfront prior to quitting. Yes he started every game, the phins were trying to develop him. As most teams hope for young players to learn these work habits as they gain experience. He has the natural talents. That does not mean Martin could not have been frustrated and depressed. Martin was demoted, Im sure he was getting an ear full from the coaches (ala Michael Egnew), especially because the entire line was getting an ear full. We all knew of the criticisms that he was physically weak which likely mean probably did not like strength training. Its not like he was genetically unable to lift weights and get stronger, it all comes down to his dedication and doing what necessary to become what the dolphins wanted him to be, a starting left tackle. Then you add that smoking weed can enhances paranoia, and a lot of times a sign of depression, and smoking weed will definitely not motivate him to put extra work in areas he was weak at. Im sure Martin had a mental breakdown, but it was because of his own failures in his career, yes the prank pushed him over the edge. Martin probably seen his career as being more bleak than what it actually was at the moment. Depression make you do a lot of dumb stuff. But he did not over come adversity instead ran from it.

Can this plan work, its worked thus far. Ricky Williams did not have a case to protect himself from a dolphin lawsuit, even thou we were mad a Ricky, he was totally honest. He quit because he didnt want to play any longer and just went off on vacation. Martin chose to cover his tracks, he quit, then check-in himself to therapy and let the media do the talking. The Dungy interview may have been the one big mistake.

Twix - Big difference between Ricky and J-Mart is that Ricky was a proven top performer in the NFL. Whereas Martin has shown very little to date to justify the 2nd round draft pick. Martin has made lots of mistakes in this, but the biggest was his inability to communicate his problem to Philbin and Sherman. His other big mistake was the emotional reaction to his teammates in the cafeteria. He should have ignored the prank and eaten his spaghetti instead of flipping the tray.
I'm still of the belief that he may have a had a mini breakdown. Dungy should have asked him point blank - did you have a nervous breakdown?

Twix - Big difference between Ricky and J-Mart is that Ricky was a proven top performer in the NFL. Whereas Martin has shown very little to date to justify the 2nd round draft pick. Martin has made lots of mistakes in this, but the biggest was his inability to communicate his problem to Philbin and Sherman. His other big mistake was the emotional reaction to his teammates in the cafeteria. He should have ignored the prank and eaten his spaghetti instead of flipping the tray.
I'm still of the belief that he may have a had a mini breakdown. Dungy should have asked him point blank - did you have a nervous breakdown?

Spike - The reason he could not communicate with Philbin is because there was no real problem with his teammates to communicate about. This story that he did not feel comfortable with the vulgar language is a out right LIE! He did not exaggerate, He LIED. Yes he had an emotional breakdown because he could not handle failure. Martin's law team created this Bully myth to save his contract period. I'm sure when Martin was explaining to his agent why he abandoned his job, he mentioned how everyone has been hard on him and he can not take anymore. When his lawyer heard the story about the prank in the lunch room which pushed him over the edge, his agent likely said do you have any proof anyone being hard on you that can excuse you walking off. Martin probably said, well all I got is Incognito foul mouth on my voice mail and his texts. His agent looked at it and bingo that's where Bullygate began. And I'm sure Martin said, I do not want to throw my teammates under the bus. And his agent said, look man this is your career and your risking hundreds of thousands of dollars. You can make a decision later if you want to play football again, but you currently losing a lot of money that could be some what saved by pleading mental illness. Martins' Agent said lets put you in a mental institute and the phins cant release you because of mental health reason, we will not make a statement and call a reporter give him a snippet of Incognito using the N-word and let them run with it. Lets see how much of your contract we can milk, and may be we can paint a picture where you were mentally ill, seeked help, recovered and ready for next year on a different team. I do not think his lawyers expected the NFL to do a thorough investigation enough to make him pay the dolphins back. And legally the phins may not be able to ask for the money back because of Martin committing himself.

Also with the new release of Incognito text history has cause the NFL to go back and rewrite their review. I do not think the NFL thought Richie will release those texts because of all the personal dirt that was revealed. Now the NFL has to spin this a little different. Im sure they will have to address the drugs and sex and may have to wipe out most of the Anti-Bully speech.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spike - The reason he could not communicate with Philbin is because there was no real problem with his teammates to communicate about. This story that he did not feel comfortable with the vulgar language is a out right LIE! He did not exaggerate, He LIED. Yes he had an emotional breakdown because he could not handle failure. Martin's law team created this Bully myth to save his contract period. I'm sure when Martin was explaining to his agent why he abandoned his job, he mentioned how everyone has been hard on him and he can not take anymore. When his lawyer heard the story about the prank in the lunch room which pushed him over the edge, his agent likely said do you have any proof anyone being hard on you that can excuse you walking off. Martin probably said well all I got is Incognito foul mouth on my voicemail and his texts. His agent looked at it and bingo that's where Bullygate began.And Im sure Martin said I do not want to throw my teammates under the bus, and his agent said look man this is your career and your risking hundreds of thousands of dollars. You can make a decision later if you want to play football again, but you currently losing a lot of money that could be some what saved by pleaing mental illness. Martins' Agent said lets put you in a mental institute and the phins cant release you because of mental health reason, we will not make a statement and call a reporter give him a snippet of Incognito using the N-word and let them run with it. Lets see how much of your contract we can milk, and may be we can paint a picture where you were mentally ill, seeked help, recovered and ready for next year on a different team. I do not think his lawyers expected the NFL to do a thorough investigation enough to make him pay the dolphins back. And legally the phins may not be able to ask for the money back because of Martin committing himself.

Also with the new release of Incognito text history has cause the NFL to go back and rewrite their review. I do not think the NFL thought Richie will release those texts because of all the personal dirt that was revealed. Now the NFL has to spin this a little different. Im sure they will have to address the drugs sex and may have to whip out most of the Anti-Bully speech.

I think you paint a picture above that most, if not all, is very plausible.

Spike - The reason he could not communicate with Philbin is because there was no real problem with his teammates to communicate about. This story that he did not feel comfortable with the vulgar language is a out right LIE! He did not exaggerate, He LIED. Yes he had an emotional breakdown because he could not handle failure. Martin's law team created this Bully myth to save his contract period. I'm sure when Martin was explaining to his agent why he abandoned his job, he mentioned how everyone has been hard on him and he can not take anymore. When his lawyer heard the story about the prank in the lunch room which pushed him over the edge, his agent likely said do you have any proof anyone being hard on you that can excuse you walking off. Martin probably said, well all I got is Incognito foul mouth on my voice mail and his texts. His agent looked at it and bingo that's where Bullygate began. And I'm sure Martin said, I do not want to throw my teammates under the bus. And his agent said, look man this is your career and your risking hundreds of thousands of dollars. You can make a decision later if you want to play football again, but you currently losing a lot of money that could be some what saved by pleading mental illness. Martins' Agent said lets put you in a mental institute and the phins cant release you because of mental health reason, we will not make a statement and call a reporter give him a snippet of Incognito using the N-word and let them run with it. Lets see how much of your contract we can milk, and may be we can paint a picture where you were mentally ill, seeked help, recovered and ready for next year on a different team. I do not think his lawyers expected the NFL to do a thorough investigation enough to make him pay the dolphins back. And legally the phins may not be able to ask for the money back because of Martin committing himself.

Also with the new release of Incognito text history has cause the NFL to go back and rewrite their review. I do not think the NFL thought Richie will release those texts because of all the personal dirt that was revealed. Now the NFL has to spin this a little different. Im sure they will have to address the drugs and sex and may have to wipe out most of the Anti-Bully speech.

Bingo !

We are need to remember this all happened after Martin was removed from left tackle and moved to right. It seems he was not man enough to handle the change. I also would have loved for Lawrence Taylor to have the ability to text in the day. Now that would have been really great stories

Twix I think your inference is almost identical to mine, with only a slight difference in that I don't believe his parents collaborated sufficiently with Ratfink to form an effectively elaborate plan. I believe that even with their legal prowess, they allowed their personal attachment, their arrogance and their biases in this situation to undermined their professional prudence.
Ratfinks parents, from everything I've read about them, appear to both be very type A personalities. Something Ratfink is absolutely not. Therefore it would be reasonable to assume, as is common among many type A sets of parents, that any affront or perceived affront against their weak minded - perhaps even slightly disappointing (Stanford vs. Harvard, Football vs. Law) child would bring about a hastily expressed exorbitant reaction.
When learning of Ratfink quitting the team, their dominant and over-protective instincts surely incorrectly recognized, based on the prima facie evidence of the Ratfinks mental state combined with the voice messages left by Incognito, that they had a text book case of misconduct in the area of their expertise.
I believe they proceeded prematurely, to secure his good name and any monies owed and coming through future litigation, based on their pretension that they "knew" the elements of the case, without regard to the actual facts as later revealed and tiered through accumulation.

Kudos on your rationale and hypothesis.

Twix I think your inference is almost identical to mine, with only a slight difference in that I don't believe his parents collaborated sufficiently with Ratfink to form an effectively elaborate plan. I believe that even with their legal prowess, they allowed their personal attachment, their arrogance and their biases in this situation to undermined their professional prudence.
Ratfinks parents, from everything I've read about them, appear to both be very type A personalities. Something Ratfink is absolutely not. Therefore it would be reasonable to assume, as is common among many type A sets of parents, that any affront or perceived affront against their weak minded - perhaps even slightly disappointing (Stanford vs. Harvard, Football vs. Law) child would bring about a hastily expressed exorbitant reaction.
When learning of Ratfink quitting the team, their dominant and over-protective instincts surely incorrectly recognized, based on the prima facie evidence of the Ratfinks mental state combined with the voice messages left by Incognito, that they had a text book case of misconduct in the area of their expertise.
I believe they proceeded prematurely, to secure his good name and any monies owed and coming through future litigation, based on their pretension that they "knew" the elements of the case, without regard to the actual facts as later revealed and tiered through accumulation.

Kudos on your rationale and hypothesis.

I do not think this is his parents making these legal decisions. One because parents are protective, like you said, committing Martin into a mental institute and going to the media to tell the story that their son's mental health and was being bullied is putting your family name on blast. Also understanding the legal aspects of the NFL is not their specialty, this all come from someone who had legal and contractual knowledge of the NFL. Its like a dentist trying to prescribe eye glasses, yes the dentist wrote a paper pertaining to jaw issues linking to headaches and vision problems, but its not their specialty. To me this is the smell of an agents work.

I do not think this is his parents making these legal decisions. One because parents are protective, like you said, committing Martin into a mental institute and going to the media to tell the story that their son's mental health and was being bullied is putting your family name on blast. Also understanding the legal aspects of the NFL is not their specialty, this all come from someone who had legal and contractual knowledge of the NFL. Its like a dentist trying to prescribe eye glasses, yes the dentist wrote a paper pertaining to jaw issues linking to headaches and vision problems, but its not their specialty. To me this is the smell of an agents work.

There's no question that agents got involved, but bullying is their area of expertise and they (Ratfink's mommy and daddy) thought, through their zeal, they had an open and shut case. They IMHO drove this train to teach the big bad NFL bullies a lesson for disrespecting their delicate wallflower. The revealing part in the text messages was when Ratfink tells Cogs, he didn't tell anyone after Cogs questions if his agent was involved. That was probably a half truth. Ratfink might not have told his agent .... but somebody with access to voice mail and text messages certainly did. Someone who would be immensely upset and insulted over the language directed towards Ratfinks mother and sister.

There's no question that agents got involved, but bullying is their area of expertise and they (Ratfink's mommy and daddy) thought, through their zeal, they had an open and shut case. They IMHO drove this train to teach the big bad NFL bullies a lesson for disrespecting their delicate wallflower. The revealing part in the text messages was when Ratfink tells Cogs, he didn't tell anyone after Cogs questions if his agent was involved. That was probably a half truth. Ratfink might not have told his agent .... but somebody with access to voice mail and text messages certainly did. Someone who would be immensely upset and insulted over the language directed towards Ratfinks mother and sister.

His texts and voice mail had to be thought of by Martin. Why would Martin parents think of looking through his voice mail for evidence, if not thought of by Martin? The voice mails and texts all had to be thought of by Martin because no one would of known of anything on their that could be used.

His texts and voice mail had to be thought of by Martin. Why would Martin parents think of looking through his voice mail for evidence, if not thought of by Martin? The voice mails and texts all had to be thought of by Martin because no one would of known of anything on their that could be used.

Precisely. Ratfinks parents no doubt, scared about his well being, certainly pursued answers and Ratfink tells them, he couldn't take the whole locker room culture. To further explain or defend his actions he says, "get a load of this".
Mommy and Daddy blow a gasket ... the rest plays out.

I think people believe what they want. How is bullying the expertise of Martin's father? He writes books on terrorism that's hardly the same thing.

I think people believe what they want. How is bullying the expertise of Martin's father? He writes books on terrorism that's hardly the same thing.

Terrorism is the use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing.
Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively impose domination over others.

Standard definitions.

Terrorism is the use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing.
Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively impose domination over others.

Standard definitions.

Your comparing being an expert at terrorism and an expert at bullying is well beyond stretching definitions and you know it. A man that has extensive knowledge of terrorism enough to write on it is not an expert in bullying behavior.
The people that ran planes into the towers were not some schoolyard bullies, the people that planted bombs in Boston were not bullies. Timothy McVeigh was not a bully. The connection between those is quite absurd. Not trying to be rude but no that does not make him an expert in bullying.
So u tell me some writer that studies bullying in high school would automatically be an expert on terrorists.

Your comparing being an expert at terrorism and an expert at bullying is well beyond stretching definitions and you know it. A man that has extensive knowledge of terrorism enough to write on it is not an expert in bullying behavior.
The people that ran planes into the towers were not some schoolyard bullies, the people that planted bombs in Boston were not bullies. Timothy McVeigh was not a bully. The connection between those is quite absurd. Not trying to be rude but no that does not make him an expert in bullying.
So u tell me some writer that studies bullying in high school would automatically be an expert on terrorists.

I understand your feelings on this but I assure you I'm not stretching the relationship between the two. And honestly, I also do not mean to be rude.
When you study law or even social behavior at an undergraduate and graduate level, one of the things you cover is the strong correlation between these similar versions of intimidation and coercion. It's now a given that most people have a post 911 view of terrorism, and the word terrorism has almost exclusively now been linked to political purposes, but as we all know and perhaps have tended to forget, terrorism itself -- by definition, is not limited to disgruntled shemagh wearing goat herders versus imperialist western governments. The fact is, that terrorism can consist of a myriad of differing scenarios. Bio-terrorism, cyber-terrorism, economical-terrorism etc. Bullying is a form of psychological-terrorism and although it is considered a lessor event, it is still in the family, as bullying often times may escalate into a terror event either as a result of, or as an expansion of. Think of many of the terrorists around the globe and what many of their complaints of injustices are against the U.S.; U.S. bullying their homelands is often on their lists even is the actual word 'bullying' isn't. So it's more than a reasonable inference to believe that an expertly schooled terrorism attorney, as a matter of training through their required curriculum, would have to have a deep understanding and thorough knowledge of bullying elements and the possible results of these events. You also have to take into account that even if Mom was the only expert in bullying, the odds of Mom acting unilaterally without consultation of her esteemed attorney / professor husband would be illogical.
I submit that the most probable explanation of the rush to get Cogs, the Dolphins and perhaps the NFL to it's knees regarding the "alleged" bullying of Ratfink was not the brain child of a sports agent, but the emotional over-reaction of a family who perceived a great insult and injustice. Understanding the potential of a huge payday, the sports agent simply took the ball and ran with it -- no pun intended.

Just my theory, as I know we may never know 100% what exactly went down, but as I said on another thread, circumstantial evidence in corroborating pieces have accumulated forming a distinctive tier of facts leading to the logical conclusion on the assertion of these facts.

Occam's razor... when among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I skimmed through most of the messages. I don't see any bullying. Just a couple young guys with money talking stupid. If anything they basically just trashed any woman they ever came across. But the tell-tale of this is at the end:

Incognito got hit out of left field with no clue this was coming.

yeah, either Martin was lying about not knowing about that stuff or he really didn;t know that his agent or parents leaked it...

Back
Top Bottom