1 rd qb's........Locker, Luck, Mallet, Newton | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1 rd qb's........Locker, Luck, Mallet, Newton

If we can't get luck I think we need to trade down and possibably get a qb in round 2 because I am afraid of all those in round one except luck

I'm a Locker fan. I know he's having a pretty meh senior season, but you know who else "regressed" as a senior in college? Dan Marino. Hell, he'd probably have the best supporting cast he's had since high school if we drafted him. He's got freakish athletic talent and experience in a pro style offense. If his stock continues to fall, I think we'll have a real shot at him.

I'm a Locker fan. I know he's having a pretty meh senior season, but you know who else "regressed" as a senior in college? Dan Marino. Hell, he'd probably have the best supporting cast he's had since high school if we drafted him. He's got freakish athletic talent and experience in a pro style offense. If his stock continues to fall, I think we'll have a real shot at him.

This. Locker is my guy, especially considering the position we are in and how Luck and Mallett will likely be gone. I want no part of Newton, and I think Locker has the fire in his personality to be a great leader for this team. The athleticism doesn't hurt either.

I posted the exact same thing earlier. As an LSU alum, I was extremely impressed with Locker when we played UW to open the season last year. He single-handed kept UW in that game against us, and I said right then if he had any supporting cast around him, he was going to win a ton of games. His draft status has fallen this year and that may very well be a blessing for us. I actually see Miami winning 2 more games so we will likely be picking 14-18th position. If he is there I sure hope we pull the trigger on him. Unfortunately, if Sparano is still here, it very well may not happen...

I would love for us to draft Cam Newton. We can run some type of Wildcat offense with him at QB. I don't think we have to run the Wildcat every play, but with Newton's speed and Ronnie helping him out we would give opposing defenses nightmares. I also think Newton has a better arm than people think. He is an accurate passer and rarely throws picks. I love Newton's swagger and confidence.

yes yes yes.........but i think he will be gone too.

Luck and Newton will both be gone by the time we pick. If we take Jake Locker I'm done with this team. Ryan Mallett...no comment.

I can get behind Luck, Newton, Devlin, Chappell or Yates. But none of them are sure things. The only sure thing in the draft is Andrew Luck. He's the only franchise guy you can sit back in December and predict. I would have a 3rd round grade on Jake Locker.

I posted the exact same thing earlier. As an LSU alum, I was extremely impressed with Locker when we played UW to open the season last year. He single-handed kept UW in that game against us, and I said right then if he had any supporting cast around him, he was going to win a ton of games. His draft status has fallen this year and that may very well be a blessing for us. I actually see Miami winning 2 more games so we will likely be picking 14-18th position. If he is there I sure hope we pull the trigger on him. Unfortunately, if Sparano is still here, it very well may not happen...

That was one of a very few of his impressive games over his career since Sarkisian put him in a pro style system.

The key is he looks OK when all you have him do is decide where he's going with the ball pre-snap and then throw it there. He looks terrible when you ask him to read any amount of the football field, half, full, etc.

Luck and Newton will both be gone by the time we pick. If we take Jake Locker I'm done with this team. Ryan Mallett...no comment.

I can get behind Luck, Newton, Devlin, Chappell or Yates. But none of them are sure things. The only sure thing in the draft is Andrew Luck. He's the only franchise guy you can sit back in December and predict. I would have a 3rd round grade on Jake Locker.

Yates is the guy who really grabs my attention with how he's performed this year especially. I think he may end up being the best QB from this class when all is said and done. He really kept his team competetive this year and shined through adversity.

I can get behind Luck and Mallett in the first round.

The rest are all blah.

That was one of a very few of his impressive games over his career since Sarkisian put him in a pro style system.

The key is he looks OK when all you have him do is decide where he's going with the ball pre-snap and then throw it there. He looks terrible when you ask him to read any amount of the football field, half, full, etc.
Ck, where do you think Devlin is going to go. I saw in another post asking who we should pick between 14 and 18, you didn't have him. You seem to really like the kid. You thinking early 2nd.

Yates is the guy who really grabs my attention with how he's performed this year especially.

He does... until you watch him against Virginia Tech and Miami. Yates is the type of quarterback who has stretches of inconsistency, not just glimpses.

When he looks good he looks good though... mid-late rounder. I like his mechanics too... it's not as if he has a slow release, or long deliberate throwing motion... he just tends to telegraph his throws.

Ck, where do you think Devlin is going to go. I saw in another post asking who we should pick between 14 and 18, you didn't have him. You seem to really like the kid. You thinking early 2nd.

From what I have seen I don't think Devlin has the physically dominant skill set to go 14 to 18. We'll see.

He does... until you watch him against Virginia Tech and Miami. Yates is the type of quarterback who has stretches of inconsistency, not just glimpses.

When he looks good he looks good though... mid-late rounder. I like his mechanics too... it's not as if he has a slow release, or long deliberate throwing motion... he just tends to telegraph his throws.

I think a pretty thorough examination of the interceptions against those two teams would and has shown me that about half of those picks were not really on him, and those were the only two games he's come close to looking bad. I would rate him above Jake Locker. Hard to say what I would do with him viz a viz Ben Chappell and Pat Devlin.

I think a pretty thorough examination of the interceptions against those two teams would and has shown me that about half of those picks were not really on him, and those were the only two games he's come close to looking bad. I would rate him above Jake Locker. Hard to say what I would do with him viz a viz Ben Chappell and Pat Devlin.

The real T.J. Yates tends to show up every now and then... he's been making poor decisions and throwing interceptions his entire career..

That is a concern, that it took him three years to really 'get it'. But there's also no denying that the guy that we're seeing right now has good size, quick feet, a feel for the pocket, the ability to read the field thoroughly, throw accurate passes, look off defenders, get ideal trajectory on the vertical, and show absolute mastery of every facet of a truly pro style offense, including audibles at the line, protection calls, motion, formation shifts, etc. And he's doing this without Hakeem Nicks, without Brandon Tate, and without the guys he THOUGHT he'd be going to war with this year Zach Pianalto, Greg Little and Johnny White.

And with, as Simon recently put it, the second-worst offensive lineman he's graded all season, Mike Ingersoll at Right Tackle.

Back
Top Bottom