14 points that separate the Dolphins from elite teams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

14 points that separate the Dolphins from elite teams

Sherif

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Fiedler made Chambers alter his route with the throw and Chambers stumbled.

The only major mistake Fiedler made was overthrowing an open Chris Chambers on a long pass that should have resulted in another touchdown.

"I was hoping to get that deep one to Chris, but that's one we've just got to keep working on," said Fiedler, who reported no problems with his back after the game. "Overall, I thought I played pretty well. I was comfortable out there. I think the best thing is that we were able to sustain a drive and get the ball in the end zone."

What Fiedler should have said was, I should have got that ball to Chambers. Has anyone else noticed that he's the least critical person about his play and never takes ownership of a mistake. Chambers had zero catches in the game. Fletcher dropped a int for a TD 15 yards from the Jax Goal line. These are the 14 points that separates the Dolhpins from elite teams. Dropped Ints, Lack of a long game, and lack of dicipline (penalties). This is the same Dolphin team of the past Decade IMO. Before you say the first team didn't have any penalties let me point out that Wade Smith had a couple of hands to the face that were ignored. We are Good enough to make the playoffs, not good enough to rise above without the help of alot of luck which they never get. We simply cant miss wide open receivers for a TD and drop sure INTs. :yell:

How can you make a judgement like that based on the second pre season game. We are good enough to make the playoffs but not the SB? Chambers should have kept his feet. That pass was there if he hadn't stumbled.

Originally posted by finfan54
you seem bitter sherif. what gives?:rolleyes:

Hey finfan. The Dolphins are going to lose games this year and we will all be bitter and criticize. I think yesterdays performance by the first team was pretty good. But those two mistakes is what has held us back when we play the Green Bays, Jets, Bills, Patriots, and 9ers of the world on the road. We cant be indifferent to mistakes like those.

Originally posted by Sherif

Hey finfan. The Dolphins are going to lose games this year and we will all be bitter and criticize. I think yesterdays performance by the first team was pretty good. But those two mistakes is what has held us back when we play the Green Bays, Jets, Bills, Patriots, and 9ers of the world on the road. We cant be indifferent to mistakes like those.

well, i agree but this is preseason, and maybe that seems like an excuse to you but veterans like chambers are just trying to get thru this thing without getting hurt. alot of first teamers arent exactly lighting it up and some are hurt right now. when the real games begin and everyone is ready, im sure they will come around.
Our problems last year was QB depth, and WR depth, and some other things like maybe coaching at certain moments and ST plays that were bungled. IMO, we solved alot of those probs in the offseason. We have 5 good WR's and 4 good RB and 3 good QB's. now maybe we have a good backup LT, but i dont want to see these guys lighting it up right now, i want to light it up come december. nobody will remember august.

And so the Jaguars didn't make ANY mistakes ? AGAIN,, preseason is an evaluation tool for the coaching staff, they are the ones who put the team together .

To make long term predictions based on isolated plays during this time is jumping the gun imo ! How many times has a team lost every preseason game looked rather lethargic and went on to win a s-b ?

I ll use the Patriots as an example !!! And no,, I am not predicting that this Dolphin team is s-b caliber by any stretch of the imagination... Patience is needed

The injuries that the Dolphins have received thus far is unusual ..Which of course has added to the mistakes on both sides of the ball ..... But if there was a choice of having injuries in the preseason or during the regular season,,, Ill take the preseason ..

:D

Marino1983

What Fiedler should have said was, I should have got that ball to Chambers. Has anyone else noticed that he's the least critical person about his play and never takes ownership of a mistake. Chambers had zero catches in the game. Fletcher dropped a int for a TD 15 yards from the Jax Goal line. These are the 14 points that separates the Dolhpins from elite teams. Dropped Ints, Lack of a long game, and lack of dicipline (penalties). This is the same Dolphin team of the past Decade IMO. Before you say the first team didn't have any penalties let me point out that Wade Smith had a couple of hands to the face that were ignored. We are Good enough to make the playoffs, not good enough to rise above without the help of alot of luck which they never get. We simply cant miss wide open receivers for a TD and drop sure INTs. :yell:

I'll have to agree with this because I don't like to see the same things again. I think we need to make stupid lucky plays and the injurys need to be almost non existent in order to get us to the SB
IMO. I can't believe that we did not win the game last night.
I know that it was only game 2 but how many times am I going to hear it's only preseason?

Re: Re: 14 points that separate the Dolphins from elite teams

Originally posted by rickykicks@$$

I'll have to agree with this because I don't like to see the same things again. I think we need to make stupid lucky plays and the injurys need to be almost non existent in order to get us to the SB
I know that it was only game 2 but how many times am I going to hear it's only preseason?

Well, at least once more. It's only preseason.

Re: Re: 14 points that separate the Dolphins from elite teams

Originally posted by rickykicks@$$

Untill it's over ;).

Well I kinda agree with this, where the deep ball is concerned u'd like to see fiedler hit chambers on that play. It brings up the concern that the deep ball will still not be there, just like last year. Although it is preseason, and deep balls were never high % throws, so i wouldnt totally agree yet.

I don't care whether it is Fiedler's fault or Chamber's fault. Don't discount either. It is the preseason.

Ricky got like 2 yards on 3 carries. Why isn't anyone worried there?

Because it is the preseason, that's why. Relax. Every year the preseason freaks me out. I remember the Bills, during their SB run, rarely won their preseason games.

The only major mistake Fiedler made was overthrowing an open Chris Chambers on a long pass that should have resulted in another touchdown.

"I was hoping to get that deep one to Chris, but that's one we've just got to keep working on," said Fiedler, who reported no problems with his back after the game. "Overall, I thought I played pretty well. I was comfortable out there. I think the best thing is that we were able to sustain a drive and get the ball in the end zone."

Wow, question for you...

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer, can they make the long throw?

Dude, honestly, 2nd preseason game....

Not again. Not yet another indictment of Jay Fiedler's media relations. :smackhead We had enough of those last year. And it's completely bogus. Unless he's in that lockerroom/film session and consistently says, "Hey, it's not my fault"......we need to just drop this.

Fiedler was a yard long on that throw. It happens with every QB. Of course we still want him to hit that every time. Especially when it's open like it was.

But did you guys actually see the throw itself?? It didn't float. Chambers didn't have to slow up for it. There was great velocity. And it had the perfect amount of arc/drop to it. Nice 50-yard throw. That by itself should show you that the deep ball is not the same as last year.

And that's the kind of thing that's being seen in practice......deep passes thrown instride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously.....It was Jays first series in live action all pre-season....do you think he might have had a little adrenaline running through his veins, which might have led to the high throws. After the first series he was like 5 for 5 with a touch! Chill out!

You know, Moulds didn't catch any balls in the Ravens pre-season game either, you think this may mean he's going to have a bad year. Think Drew won't hit him deep, ol yea, they did try one and Drew over threw him. I wonder if their worried. Jay and Chris have practiced this this off season, and I think we will see it click a lot this year, in the Titian's scrimage, Jay hit Mcknight on the deep ball very well, I think we will have a deep game this year. I do thing Miami were protecting Wade Smith last night, letting him build up confidence and probaly didn't take as many chances deep as they probably do during the season. I wouldn't worry about it now, this is practice and where they try to get better, and that's what I'll be looking for this season, this team getting better each week.

Back
Top Bottom