15 Most expensive Dolphins against the 2020 salary cap | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

15 Most expensive Dolphins against the 2020 salary cap

Only ones that bother me are the top 3 (Jones, X, Wilson) and McCain. The big liability of Jones and X is injuries. Wilson, IMO, is overpaid. McCain? The bad news is, excluing one year, he ranks middle of pack in the slot. The bad news is he's been Miami's best slot.Nonetheless, he's overpaid.

Man after you get past Wilson that list gets pretty cheap. Hell two (3 technically) players on rookie deals even lol

Reshad and McCain need cut. Wilson I could go either way with, he was starting to look better and quicker towards the end of the year. I’d love a young explosive playmaker in this draft to replace Grant/Wilson one day

Only ones that bother me are the top 3 (Jones, X, Wilson) and McCain. The big liability of Jones and X is injuries. Wilson, IMO, is overpaid. McCain? The bad news is, excluing one year, he ranks middle of pack in the slot. The bad news is he's been Miami's best slot.Nonetheless, he's overpaid.
I agree with you.

I think Jones will be cut and Wilson takes a pay reduction.

Because of the way McCain's contract is structured, there is really no cap savings in cutting him. I suppose he could be traded, but he really isn't a bad player if used correctly.

To this day that Reshad Jones extension is still insane - and it was signed years ago! What's worse is that all these terrible contracts were terrible at the time they were made.

My point is none of these catastrophes came about as surprises resulting from injuries or mistakingly signing a lazy free agent. Everyone could see that Reshad Jones was a bad extension back when it was made. The same goes for McCain who literally had ONE decent year and parlayed that into a (still inescapable) cap hit two years later. Minkah should never have had his demands given into, Jakeem has never been able to stay healthy, and Xavien with his deteriorating knees should have been traded back when his value was at its highest.

At least Hurns, Fitzmagic, and Davis are good value for what they bring -- and Kilgore, Harris, and Wilson can be released with significant cap savings.

Let's make better choices going forward: signing only those coming off their rookie deals with no injury history - and only give pro bowl money to players consistently performing like, you know, actual pro bowlers.

To this day that Reshad Jones extension is still insane - and it was signed years ago! What's worse is that all these terrible contracts were terrible at the time they were made.

My point is none of these catastrophes came about as surprises resulting from injuries or mistakingly signing a lazy free agent. Everyone could see that Reshad Jones was a bad extension back when it was made. The same goes for McCain who literally had ONE decent year and parlayed that into a (still inescapable) cap hit two years later. Minkah should never have had his demands given into, Jakeem has never been able to stay healthy, and Xavien with his deteriorating knees should have been traded back when his value was at its highest.

At least Hurns, Fitzmagic, and Davis are good value for what they bring -- and Kilgore, Harris, and Wilson can be released with significant cap savings.

Let's make better choices going forward: signing only those coming off their rookie deals with no injury history - and only give pro bowl money to players consistently performing like, you know, actual pro bowlers.
No chance of Kilgore being released, unless we bring in a FA center, and given the dearth of quality at that position, as well as other more pressing needs, I doubt that happens.

Man...we're so ****ing lean right now. It's awesome to finally be rid of (almost) all of Tannenbaum's bullshit.

That Reshad Jones contract...whoof.

I think many people forget how dominant Jones’ 2015 season was. He was the no 1 S in the league by every measure - tackles? Led all DBs. Picks? 5. Pick 6’s? 2. Throw in a sack or two and a couple FR and he was an absolute monster. I can see why he was extended. He got hurt in 2016 on a game changing play against Pitt as he dove and picked off Big Ben. 2017 he had 2 scores again. But yes, since 2016 the injuries have gotten the better of him. I don’t like the tantrum thing he did but he’s been a warrior out there. I really wanted him to be healthy this year to see how he’d do on this young team. But to be honest as the year went on I kinda forgot he was on the team.

I’d keep Wilson as he looks to be coming into form after the injury.

McCain - we really don’t know what would have happened if they just played him at the position where he earned that contract. Putting him at S would be like putting Ryan Tannehill at WR after signing him to his big extension.

In any event we won’t be doing these types of contracts going forward, but rather, coaching guys up and running better schemes. Needham is a great example. Winning 5 more games than our roster suggested we should have is yet another. We need some studs. But we don’t need to channel Mike Tannenbaum again.

I agree with you.

I think Jones will be cut and Wilson takes a pay reduction.

Because of the way McCain's contract is structured, there is really no cap savings in cutting him. I suppose he could be traded, but he really isn't a bad player if used correctly.
What would be Jones cap hit be if we cut him. I think that's what I'd base my decision on.

Just over 8 mil, but the savings are
7.5 mil, with a pre June 1st cut.
Wow so almost no cost if cut. I foresee and heart to heart discussion with FloCo in the very near future

Wow so almost no cost if cut. I foresee and heart to heart discussion with FloCo in the very near future
No, if cut he's still costing the 8 mil. If he remains on the roster, he's costing almost 16 million.

No, if cut he's still costing the 8 mil. If he remains on the roster, he's costing almost 16 million.
Oh. Thanks for clarifying. I don't see us taking that hit. I'm okay seeing him this year coming off basically a year off.

Oh. Thanks for clarifying. I don't see us taking that hit. I'm okay seeing him this year coming off basically a year off.
I disagree.

I look at it like the 8 million is water under the bridge. It's gone, and not getting it back.

The question then becomes is he worth 7.5 million? If he were a solid starter, I would say maybe, but he wasn't starting when he was healthy.

At this point, He's not the future, so for the 7.5, I would rather the roster spot go to a young guy with upside.

I disagree.

I look at it like the 8 million is water under the bridge. It's gone, and not getting it back.

The question then becomes is he worth 7.5 million? If he were a solid starter, I would say maybe, but he wasn't starting when he was healthy.

At this point, He's not the future, so for the 7.5, I would rather the roster spot go to a young guy with upside.
He's only 31 and has already restructured in the past to help the team. I don't necessarily agree he can't be a part of our future.

Back
Top Bottom