15 Most expensive Dolphins against the 2020 salary cap | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

15 Most expensive Dolphins against the 2020 salary cap

He's only 31 and has already restructured in the past to help the team. I don't necessarily agree he can't be a part of our future.
IMO, his "restructure" benefited him, as much as the team, so I don't read much into that.

I don't dislike Rashad at all. I just don't think he is a 16 million dollar player. I also do not think his attitude last off season, and the time he "quit" on his team mates in the middle of a game fits with Flo's expectations, as it relates to the team first philosophy.

I disagree.

I look at it like the 8 million is water under the bridge. It's gone, and not getting it back.

The question then becomes is he worth 7.5 million? If he were a solid starter, I would say maybe, but he wasn't starting when he was healthy.

At this point, He's not the future, so for the 7.5, I would rather the roster spot go to a young guy with upside.

Agreed.

Cut the cord. I say that about one of my favorite players of the last decade.

Would've been a harder decision if he bled aqua and orange, clearly he only bleeds green.

Last edited:
I think many people forget how dominant Jones’ 2015 season was. He was the no 1 S in the league by every measure - tackles? Led all DBs. Picks? 5. Pick 6’s? 2. Throw in a sack or two and a couple FR and he was an absolute monster. I can see why he was extended. He got hurt in 2016 on a game changing play against Pitt as he dove and picked off Big Ben. 2017 he had 2 scores again. But yes, since 2016 the injuries have gotten the better of him. I don’t like the tantrum thing he did but he’s been a warrior out there. I really wanted him to be healthy this year to see how he’d do on this young team. But to be honest as the year went on I kinda forgot he was on the team.

I’d keep Wilson as he looks to be coming into form after the injury.

McCain - we really don’t know what would have happened if they just played him at the position where he earned that contract. Putting him at S would be like putting Ryan Tannehill at WR after signing him to his big extension.

In any event we won’t be doing these types of contracts going forward, but rather, coaching guys up and running better schemes. Needham is a great example. Winning 5 more games than our roster suggested we should have is yet another. We need some studs. But we don’t need to channel Mike Tannenbaum again.
2015 was 5 years ago. Jones is on the wrong side of 30, and on the wrong side of a rebuild.

Jones should have been cut the moment he quit on the team. F him

Wilson should only be on the team next year if he is willing to restructure his contract for a lot less money.
X needs to prove next year that he is worth the money the Dolphins are paying him and he needs to play 16 games instead of constantly missing games during the season.

Rosen should be kept because he is still young and cheap and hopefully he can develop as an NFL QB to at least become a competent backup.

I really don’t see anyone else on the list except Wilkins and Parker who I would want to see on the roster next year. If Fitzpatrick wants to stick around and help coach the QB’s for a lot less than eight million, I have no problem with that. I just want Rosen and the QB they draft to compete for the starting QB job and I really have no interest is seeing another year of career backup Fitzpatrick playing QB for the Dolphins.

I think many people forget how dominant Jones’ 2015 season was. He was the no 1 S in the league by every measure - tackles? Led all DBs. Picks? 5. Pick 6’s? 2. Throw in a sack or two and a couple FR and he was an absolute monster. I can see why he was extended. He got hurt in 2016 on a game changing play against Pitt as he dove and picked off Big Ben. 2017 he had 2 scores again. But yes, since 2016 the injuries have gotten the better of him. I don’t like the tantrum thing he did but he’s been a warrior out there. I really wanted him to be healthy this year to see how he’d do on this young team. But to be honest as the year went on I kinda forgot he was on the team.

I’d keep Wilson as he looks to be coming into form after the injury.

McCain - we really don’t know what would have happened if they just played him at the position where he earned that contract. Putting him at S would be like putting Ryan Tannehill at WR after signing him to his big extension.

In any event we won’t be doing these types of contracts going forward, but rather, coaching guys up and running better schemes. Needham is a great example. Winning 5 more games than our roster suggested we should have is yet another. We need some studs. But we don’t need to channel Mike Tannenbaum again.

How can you justify the extension given to Reshad Jones based on an excellent season he had TWO years previous? When he put up that monster season, he was already a top 5 paid safety in the NFL and already the second highest paid strong safety in the NFL.

In 2016 he went on IR *again* after 6 games in which Miami went 1-5. After Jones went on IR, the Dolphins followed up the next 10 games going 9-1... this tells you that his absence didn't effect any end results for this team.

And then, during THAT offseason, he got an extension. Which was super confusing considering HE STILL HAD A YEAR LEFT ON HIS CONTRACT!! Well, it wouldn't have been confusing if it was a team friendly deal... except the deal he got effectively made him the 3rd highest paid safety IN THE ENTIRE NFL and just 6% lower ($1mil) than Eric Berry who was head and shoulders a much better safety.

That has to be the worst extension I've seen the Fins give out in a decade easily.

And in that 2017 season he was just average (or above average at best) with a lot of moments where he was liability, put up some average numbers, did get a Pro Bowl nod, AND GOT A RESTRUCTURE to make his contract worse.

The Reshad Jones extension was absolutely stupid. The restructure was mindblowingly stupid, though. But make no mistake, nothing about his 2015 season justifies him getting an extension two years later *with still a year left on his contract*.

Last edited:
We don't have rush cut all player. All these rookie will not be ready yr 1..we can still win games.. when rookie are ready they can take over.

I'm on record as saying that I'd NEVER pay big dollars for any safety... but the Jones contract was even more ridiculous than that. We paid him like he was a future Hall of Famer. Hell... we paid him like he was a 24 year old Ronnie Lott.
The contract we gave Reshad may be the single worst contract in Dolphins history.
That said, his real cost this year is 8 million, (the rest is pro-rate). If he's healthy, he could actually be an asset.... but only if he is 100% bought in to whatever role that Flores sees him in.

Jones wouldn't be the first to hit 30 and wake up.

I've said before we should have moved Jones when he still had trade value, He was a top 3 Safety in the league at the time and I just don't understand why we are so opposed to analytics.. We had to know it was unlikely he would match that production in a few years so why not trade him for a 2nd or 3rd to a contender..

I mean if he is healthy he is above average I'd keep him one more year at most but I wouldn't be heart broken to get rid of that contract.

We don't have rush cut all player. All these rookie will not be ready yr 1..we can still win games.. when rookie are ready they can take over.
Actually, we gain the most if it is done before June 1st. IDK if you consider that a "rush", but it is prior to TC.

I don’t think it’s a rush, but you want to get the right players that Flores wants and needs on the field. It maybe a mix of rookies, undrafted free agents, and Type B free agents instead of the high priced free agents. Remember in today’s NFL tomorrow is never guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom