15 Most expensive Dolphins against the 2020 salary cap | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

15 Most expensive Dolphins against the 2020 salary cap

I like Wilson's quikness and speed, something he seemed to be regaining at the end of the year. However, when Miami opted to give Hurns the extension I think it's fairly clear what direction they're going to go. Obviously the thought is Parker, Williams and Hurns as the top 3 receivers and Wilson's deal is too much for the 4th spot.

I like Wilson's quikness and speed, something he seemed to be regaining at the end of the year. However, when Miami opted to give Hurns the extension I think it's fairly clear what direction they're going to go. Obviously the thought is Parker, Williams and Hurns as the top 3 receivers and Wilson's deal is too much for the 4th spot.
Agreed, and I wouldn't discount Ford as being in the mix either. He seems to be a precise, as well as fluid route runner.

As to Wilson, IDK, he probably realizes he won't get 9 mil from anyone, given his injury history. He isn't really even a solid #2. He might be willing to restructure, but will there be room? We aren't going to roster more than 5 or 6 recievers, if that.

The Grant extension was kind of a "head scratcher" to me. There is a team friendly out after next season, but I still don't get it.

Jones needs to be cut along with Grant. Wilson starting looking healthier towards the end of the year so we could keep him. Not much we can do about X......he got a bigger contract than he deserved. He's a good player but misses games every year and now has off the field stuff as well. We actually have a lot of cheap contracts.

Jones needs to be cut along with Grant. Wilson starting looking healthier towards the end of the year so we could keep him. Not much we can do about X......he got a bigger contract than he deserved. He's a good player but misses games every year and now has off the field stuff as well. We actually have a lot of cheap contracts.
Unless you are just looking to free up a roster spot, there is no real advantage to cutting Grant this season, do to the contract structure.

I can only hope he gets the dropsies under control, and returns to being the very good "returner" we have seen at times.

If Miami can find a legit FS keeping McCain as a slot defender helps the overall defense.
I actually think Rowe is a legit FS.

McCain was miscast in that role. He has no chance against any decent TE, and is questionable playing coverages of help over the top. We know he can't play man wide, so that only leaves slot, where he's competent.

Makes no difference to me if they keep, or cut. I can see both sides of the coin. He is overpaid, but he is also assignment sound, as long as the "assignment" isn't beyond his physical capabilities.

I don't think playing him at S was some grand or elaborate plan. It was a bad idea, in a bad situation.

Goodbye reshad, goodbye Wilson, goodbye mccain, goodbye charles harris, goodbye jakeem

At those hits they all walk the plank

Goodbye reshad, goodbye Wilson, goodbye mccain, goodbye charles harris, goodbye jakeem

At those hits they all walk the plank
Agree with Jones.

Agree with Wilson, unless he renegotiates for about half. Even then IDK if there's room.

Given the contracts, and gauranteed $, do we save anything by cutting the others? If you want to free up roster spots, I can see that point, but then it's not about the "hits", so much as talent (Harris).

I actually think Rowe is a legit FS.

McCain was miscast in that role. He has no chance against any decent TE, and is questionable playing coverages of help over the top. We know he can't play man wide, so that only leaves slot, where he's competent.

Makes no difference to me if they keep, or cut. I can see both sides of the coin. He is overpaid, but he is also assignment sound, as long as the "assignment" isn't beyond his physical capabilities.

I don't think playing him at S was some grand or elaborate plan. It was a bad idea, in a bad situation.

I see Rowe as what he is. A TE neautralizer, he's doesn't have the range to play single high.

Miami has been know to wanting a FS in this years draft, possibly even FA with a Anthony Harris out there.

I see Rowe as what he is. A TE neautralizer, he's doesn't have the range to play single high.

Miami has been know to wanting a FS in this years draft, possibly even FA with a Anthony Harris out there.
I guess we have to disagree here.

He doesn't have the range (speed) to play wide corner.

What legit source from within the organization has made it "known" that FS is a high priority, if I may ask? I think ppl assume that because of the loss of Minkah.

How can you justify the extension given to Reshad Jones based on an excellent season he had TWO years previous? When he put up that monster season, he was already a top 5 paid safety in the NFL and already the second highest paid strong safety in the NFL.

In 2016 he went on IR *again* after 6 games in which Miami went 1-5. After Jones went on IR, the Dolphins followed up the next 10 games going 9-1... this tells you that his absence didn't effect any end results for this team.

And then, during THAT offseason, he got an extension. Which was super confusing considering HE STILL HAD A YEAR LEFT ON HIS CONTRACT!! Well, it wouldn't have been confusing if it was a team friendly deal... except the deal he got effectively made him the 3rd highest paid safety IN THE ENTIRE NFL and just 6% lower ($1mil) than Eric Berry who was head and shoulders a much better safety.

That has to be the worst extension I've seen the Fins give out in a decade easily.

And in that 2017 season he was just average (or above average at best) with a lot of moments where he was liability, put up some average numbers, did get a Pro Bowl nod, AND GOT A RESTRUCTURE to make his contract worse.

The Reshad Jones extension was absolutely stupid. The restructure was mindblowingly stupid, though. But make no mistake, nothing about his 2015 season justifies him getting an extension two years later *with still a year left on his contract*.
How can you justify the extension given to Reshad Jones based on an excellent season he had TWO years previous? When he put up that monster season, he was already a top 5 paid safety in the NFL and already the second highest paid strong safety in the NFL.

In 2016 he went on IR *again* after 6 games in which Miami went 1-5. After Jones went on IR, the Dolphins followed up the next 10 games going 9-1... this tells you that his absence didn't effect any end results for this team.

And then, during THAT offseason, he got an extension. Which was super confusing considering HE STILL HAD A YEAR LEFT ON HIS CONTRACT!! Well, it wouldn't have been confusing if it was a team friendly deal... except the deal he got effectively made him the 3rd highest paid safety IN THE ENTIRE NFL and just 6% lower ($1mil) than Eric Berry who was head and shoulders a much better safety.

That has to be the worst extension I've seen the Fins give out in a decade easily.

And in that 2017 season he was just average (or above average at best) with a lot of moments where he was liability, put up some average numbers, did get a Pro Bowl nod, AND GOT A RESTRUCTURE to make his contract worse.

The Reshad Jones extension was absolutely stupid. The restructure was mindblowingly stupid, though. But make no mistake, nothing about his 2015 season justifies him getting an extension two years later *with still a year left on his contract*.
The timing of the extension was curious I’ll grant you that. But the fact remains that in 2015 he was the best S in football. In 2016, we were 1-4 not 1-5 when he got hurt. He got hurt in the Pitt game diving in front of a WR to pick off Big Ben and make what would be a game turning play - that was also the game we found how to play offense - riding Ajai to 8-2 in the last 10. The conclusion that we didn’t miss Jones is not accurate. It showed itself in the playoffs as AB and Bell ran through our secondary uncontested from the opening whistle.

The real question is whether or not he can still play or is he too old and broken down? If the answer is yes then figure something out with the money or overpay the guy by $8mil for one more year. It’s not as if that doesn’t happen all the time in sports. At least this year it won’t hurt us. I’d focus on if he can play at a high level or not - all the other stuff is just noise and doesn’t matter.

I guess we have to disagree here.

He doesn't have the range (speed) to play wide corner.

What legit source from within the organization has made it "known" that FS is a high priority, if I may ask? I think ppl assume that because of the loss of Minkah.

I'll keep saying this. VIP is filled with inside info. Chamber's files has plenty of goodies my friend.

I'll keep saying this. VIP is filled with inside info. Chamber's files has plenty of goodies my friend.
So in other words, nothing from the actual organization?

Chatter is chatter, rumor is rumor. I'm sure there are differing opinions within the organization itself, so even if it really is "insider" stuff, that can still be speculation or smokescreen.

Much like any entity worried about corporate spying, if there were serious problematic leaks, they would be dealt with accordingly.

Rather than pushing VIP, how about just a straight answer, if you have one? I love this forum, but don't make it like if I don't buy the secret decoder ring, I can't be trusted with information.

So in other words, nothing from the actual organization?

Chatter is chatter, rumor is rumor. I'm sure there are differing opinions within the organization itself, so even if it really is "insider" stuff, that can still be speculation or smokescreen.

Much like any entity worried about corporate spying, if there were serious problematic leaks, they would be dealt with accordingly.

Rather than pushing VIP, how about just a . straight answer, if you have one? I love this forum, but don't make it like if I don't buy the secret decoder ring, I can't be trusted with information.
The brother just made a suggestion about VIP. Those nuggets from there are to stay within VIP membership forum. Have a great day!
John

Last edited:
Fin Fan- thanks for posting.
Looking back - amazing how bad Tannebaum was for our team. Cutting Jones still costs us $10M . He was fun to watch when he was on top of his game.
I think Jones, Wilson, McCain all need a re-structure. With X, wow has his legacy changed. It will be the most interesting offseason we have had, or i can remember .

1579447358068.png

Phins up!

Back
Top Bottom