1973 AFC Championship Game - Full Broadcast! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1973 AFC Championship Game - Full Broadcast!

And I'm OK with that. I don't have time to sit there and watch a game that feels like its 4 hours long because of huddling, running the ball and playing that god-awful time of possession strategy. In fact, not only do I get to watch more plays per game but I also get to watch more football as a whole with the advent of RedZone. The 70's can keep their football. I'll keep my eras game and stay entertained.

Look at that championship game. The total game with all bs was only 2 hours and 37 minutes. Fat chance you get an AFC Championship being that short these days. Commercials and a bunch of 10-15 yard gains that mean nothing without the red zone TD.
I guess we agree to disagree. To each his own.

I love that opening with the cool music. Even better is watching it on my TV with my Roku.

Biletnikoff dropped a key 3rd down conversion in the 3rd quarter and Oakland had to settle for FG. You don't see that too often.
Miami 14-3

And I'm OK with that. I don't have time to sit there and watch a game that feels like its 4 hours long because of huddling, running the ball and playing that god-awful time of possession strategy. In fact, not only do I get to watch more plays per game but I also get to watch more football as a whole with the advent of RedZone. The 70's can keep their football. I'll keep my eras game and stay entertained.

Um, games used to be over a lot quicker.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but to say there wasn't entertainment value with "older style" football simply dates YOU.

No name defense is getting abused by Stabler in the 3rd quarter. No pass rush at all. 17-10 we have a game.

Um, games used to be over a lot quicker.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but to say there wasn't entertainment value with "older style" football simply dates YOU.

Um, I understand my stance isn't going to go well with the older crowds on here. I get it. I'm sure there is some nostalgic bias some of you have with watching older style games. If that is your thing, more power to you. I just don't feel the game of old can hold the new games jock strap in any regard.

I'm sure its really riveting watching hand off's 65% of all offensive snaps and seeing defenders clothesline the opposing team but I like our product now and will continue to say its better than what you're used to seeing.

More points. More football. More movement. More methods to enjoy football.

Um, I understand my stance isn't going to go well with the older crowds on here. I get it. I'm sure there is some nostalgic bias some of you have with watching older style games. If that is your thing, more power to you. I just don't feel the game of old can hold the new games jock strap in any regard.

I'm sure its really riveting watching hand off's 65% of all offensive snaps and seeing defenders clothesline the opposing team but I like our product now and will continue to say its better than what you're used to seeing.

More points. More football. More movement. More methods to enjoy football.

And, like I said, you're entitled to that opinion.

Some of us used to play guard and inside linebacker ... we like the trench warfare. :idk:

Raiders pull to within 7 but Miami responds with 12 straight runs and a FG to build the lead back to 10.
This is basically we are better than you and we are going to run straight at you.

Much better than those *****-fied flanker screens they run all the time in today's football.

Big 4th down stop on next Raiders possession essentially wins the game.

Freaking awesome commercial on Plymouth Gold Duster near the end of game.

"Reptilian Vinyl Colored Gold Roof"

Miami threw 6 passes in this game and only completed 3.

When faced with the Raiders comeback in the 3rd period they went to bread and butter and sealed the game running the ball.

20 plus straight runs to build lead back up and seal the game.

27-10 and 3rd straight appearance in the Super Bowl. Raiders would get their payback the following year with Sea of hands game. We have never been the same since.
That was a dominating football team that I wish some of the younger fans could have seen. It was truly amazing.

Very happy that the game has sped up and the rules have changed in todays NFL. What a boring game.

Today's NFL is multiple video replays between plays, commercials, replays of replays, an obligatory flag-throw anytime the QB is hit, a referee huddle to evaluate the QB hit, and extended overtime so that a game routinely runs 3.5 hours or more.

Today's NFL is multiple video replays between plays, commercials, replays of replays, an obligatory flag-throw anytime the QB is hit, a referee huddle to evaluate the QB hit, and extended overtime so that a game routinely runs 3.5 hours or more.

1970'S era football was the best era in history IMHO. Those players and coaches are legend's.

I remember that game very well. Was never worried in the Orange Bowl stands. Our family was sitting in a much different section than typical. Instead of sitting on the north side near the east end zone we were on the north side close to the west end zone. Consequently all my mental images of that game are from a dramatically different perspective. I'm not sure how playoff tickets work now but at that point season ticket holders didn't automatically receive the same seats they held all year.

One week earlier we were sloppy against the Bengals, specifically before halftime. I haven't watched this tape but Gowdy and DeRogatis probably mentioned that. All week the players were annoyed at that lapse in concentration and there was a confidence it wouldn't happen again.

The '70s were easily my favorite football era. I despise passing. In that early '70s era I was an Oklahoma fan on Saturdays since the Canes played on Friday night. Oklahoma was in its early wishbone heyday. My dream scenario was the Sooners never attempting a pass on Saturday and the Dolphins nearly following suit on Sunday. I realized it was too much to ask for the Dolphins to never pass, but we smartly came reasonably close many times. Griese often saved the lowest number of attempts for the most meaningful games. He'd screw around against lesser opponents and sometimes threw the ball 20 times or more. That was disgusting but since I recognized the trend I was prepared for it.

Griese had lousy yards per attempt in 1973. Really bad for a team considered one of the all time greats. I wasn't aware of that at the time but once I heard about YPA in 1987 I back checked and was very surprised about some examples, notably this one.

The NFL changed the rules in the secondary largely due to this Dolphin team. A week earlier Miami cornerbacks Curtis Johnson and Tim Foley chopped Bengal star rookie Isaac Curtis at the line of scrimmage all day. Wiped him out before he ever got started. I loved it in the stands but fans across the country didn't appreciate it so there was a mini uproar. The so-called "Isaac Curtis Rule" was initiated in 1974. That was the beginning of the push to restrict pass defense so the less sophisticated fan would understand what they were looking at. That trend continued, notably in 1978 with further changes to pass defense rules.

IMO, the league had it right at that point. While I loved all-running I could see that more balance was needed to appease the video game generation, since that trend was already underway. The '80s and '90s were an ideal blend. You could run like the Cowboys or pass like the Marino Dolphins or Kelly Bills. There were Run N Shoot teams and West Coast teams and blue collar running teams like the Giants. Wonderful contrast, and so much anticipation when those varied styles faced each other.

All along I knew there was immeasurable danger of over rotation, of the league succumbing to the pantyhose fascination of simplistic fans. When Fantasy Football began to explode the feces aspect was inevitable. Only the commissioner position could keep that plug partially secure. Once a pure pantyhose like Roger Goodell got the job, the pathetic rationalization is drowned out by all the crap he unleashed.

That's why I appreciate the college game more and more. College football is still more than 50% running, believe it or not. Last year only one team in the country -- Washington State with the incredibly ignorant Mike Leach -- threw the ball more than 63% of the time. Even though there are 4 times as many major college teams than NFL teams, there were only 18 college teams with 55% or higher percentage of pass plays compared to 24 NFL teams. The happy adjusters will rush in to deflect and deny, pointing out that sacks count as running plays in college, skewing the stats. Chart the games instead of guessing and over adjusting. The percentages and bottom line changes very little.

I don't like college spread offenses but the best ones like Oregon and Auburn rely heavily on the run, often averaging 55+ rushes per game.

The NFL rules in this era produce woefully stupid football from teams with overmatched quarterbacks insisting on throwing the ball 40 or 45 times. I don't mind it from a betting standpoint. Those games can be easy pickings, like the Raiders with a rookie quarterback last year brilliantly running the ball only 21 times per game last season. It's beyond sad that those video game fans don't understand what is going on, and their solution is more passing. Goodell smiles.

Here's the first half of the previous week's (Round-1) game against the Bengals, the guy who posted it says he doesn't think the second half exists on video...

[video=youtube;BMucj-NUGHs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMucj-NUGHs[/video]

Remember the game very well and loved the 70's intro music for NFL and NBA games. The Raiders of the early and mid-70's often get overlooked because of the Dolphins, Steelers and Cowboys, but I think their teams were very talented.

I remember watching the NFL pre-game shows in the morning and then setting in front of the TV and watching the games for hours. What really sucked was if you lived out of your favorite team's market you had to wait until the Monday Night halftime highlights just to see one or two plays from the game and then wait until Saturday to get a few more highlights on This Week in the NFL. That's why I laugh when people complain about the ESPN and NFL Network coverage today.

I enjoyed the pace of the game in the 70's, but I could see how younger fans would view it as boring. The same would be true if they were watching a 1972 NBA game vs today's game. It's like asking a teen to turn off his new Eminim cd and try listening to Three Dog Night or Sly and the Family Stone for a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom