1990 Miami Dolphins vs Buffalo Bills: Wild Card Round | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1990 Miami Dolphins vs Buffalo Bills: Wild Card Round

That Bills/Oilers game was the Wild Card Round. The Dolphins beat the Bolts in the Divisional Round, the same week the Bills beat (I believe) the Steelers in Pittsburgh, with Frank Reich still starting, no less.

I really did think '92 was our year, especially the way we played against SD.

I can't believe '94 was the last season I ever felt like we had a legit chance to make it to the Super Bowl (F*** Natrone Means!). I was 13 years old in '94. Jesus...

I thought Buf would beat you in 1992, the 1994 dolphins I felt were the best team in the AFC but blew that game at SD. That team should have been a SB team.

I thought Buf would beat you in 1992, the 1994 dolphins I felt were the best team in the AFC but blew that game at SD. That team should have been a SB team.
the sequence that turned the game around and no one really talks about - which I find surprising because it was a blown call - was on a 4th and 1 (we were up 21-6) and SD went for it from our 3. Means got hit in the backfield lost a yard then fumbled. The ball rolled forward and hit the pylon. Inexplicably, the officials spotted the ball on our 1/2 yard line. That ball was supposed to be spotted at the 3 (since you can't fumble forward like that on 4th down) OR it should have been a touchback though I believe the former is really the correct spot. On the next play we ran a dumb, dumb deep handoff out of the "I" to Bernie Parmalee who got dumped for a safety. That changed the entire game and momentum. I still maintain that an incorrect spot / interpretation of the rules really hurt us (and if replay existed it would have been corrected). Also, Means was given a TD on a run where he stepped about 6 feet OOB in that game too. Not saying it was a conspiracy - just incompetence.

That Bills/Oilers game was the Wild Card Round. The Dolphins beat the Bolts in the Divisional Round, the same week the Bills beat (I believe) the Steelers in Pittsburgh, with Frank Reich still starting, no less.

I really did think '92 was our year, especially the way we played against SD.

I can't believe '94 was the last season I ever felt like we had a legit chance to make it to the Super Bowl (F*** Natrone Means!). I was 13 years old in '94. Jesus...
F Frank Reich too!!!

the sequence that turned the game around and no one really talks about - which I find surprising because it was a blown call - was on a 4th and 1 (we were up 21-6) and SD went for it from our 3. Means got hit in the backfield lost a yard then fumbled. The ball rolled forward and hit the pylon. Inexplicably, the officials spotted the ball on our 1/2 yard line. That ball was supposed to be spotted at the 3 (since you can't fumble forward like that on 4th down) OR it should have been a touchback though I believe the former is really the correct spot. On the next play we ran a dumb, dumb deep handoff out of the "I" to Bernie Parmalee who got dumped for a safety. That changed the entire game and momentum. I still maintain that an incorrect spot / interpretation of the rules really hurt us (and if replay existed it would have been corrected). Also, Means was given a TD on a run where he stepped about 6 feet OOB in that game too. Not saying it was a conspiracy - just incompetence.

Also from what I can remember from seeing the game again on NFL replay Don and Dan both sucked ass down the stretch in that game. Had that been Wanny/Fiedler and Finheaven existed they'd have been abosolutely torn to shreds. Why does Dan go deep to unknown 4th string WR Mike Williams when he could have just tried picking up 10 more yards for Stoyanovich. Lots of bad offense in the 2nd half.

Miami's prime years to make a Super Bowl move were between 1993 and 1995. The Buffalo dynasty was fading and the Dolphins accumulated the talent to get to a Super Bowl. Marino's achilles and Shula's stubborn faith in Olivadotti torpedoed the window of opportunity. The playoff loss to the Chargers was Shula's last stand because the 1995 season started unraveling about 2/3's of the way through and was topped off with a bad playoff loss to a declining Buffalo team. JJ's teams from 1996 to 1999 had no shot at dethroning the Broncos mini-dynasty and the 1999 team woefully underachieved down the stretch and was saddled with a shell of Marino's former self. The 2000-2001 Dolphins were highly competitive but were not Super Bowl quality. The 2002 Dolphins were the last time the Dolphins should ever have been in the Super Bowl conversation. They had few glaring weaknesses and they were still in an era where a quarterback like Jay Fiedler could game manage a team to a Super Bowl. They went into a shell the last two weeks and that sealed Wanny's legacy. So by my estimation, the Dilphins haven't had a realistic shot at a Super Bowl since 2002.

Also from what I can remember from seeing the game again on NFL replay Don and Dan both sucked ass down the stretch in that game. Had that been Wanny/Fiedler and Finheaven existed they'd have been abosolutely torn to shreds. Why does Dan go deep to unknown 4th string WR Mike Williams when he could have just tried picking up 10 more yards for Stoyanovich. Lots of bad offense in the 2nd half.
thats fair but recall on that last drive he got us into FG range on one long pass play. Then the play calling and execution stunk. Be that as it may, that safety off the bad spot and a TD handed out when a guy stepped a mile OOB at the 6 played a huge role in the end.

Also on that last drive didn't Jackson try to lateral which almost costs us the game a few minutes earlier. Still have never been able to watch that game again. For me the most deflating loss as a dolphin fan

Also on that last drive didn't Jackson try to lateral which almost costs us the game a few minutes earlier. Still have never been able to watch that game again. For me the most deflating loss as a dolphin fan
it was earlier in than the last drive but it was the 2nd half. It wasn't a lateral really. For reasons unknown he THREW the ball forward down the field after a reception. It was ruled and illegal forward pass which was the closest thing to describe it. No idea what he was thinking - bizzaro.

it was earlier in than the last drive but it was the 2nd half. It wasn't a lateral really. For reasons unknown he THREW the ball forward down the field after a reception. It was ruled and illegal forward pass which was the closest thing to describe it. No idea what he was thinking - bizzaro.

Thank you, your memory is impeccable. I got my sequence a little confused. Also always wondered why Marino went endzone right before stoyonovich's miss. Awful second half to a game

The 1992 AFC Championship debacle vs the Bills, 1994 Divisional round heartbreaking loss to the Chargers and 1995 Wildcard game embarrassment vs the Bills all still sting . Those years were Dan's last chance at a ring.

Thank you, your memory is impeccable. I got my sequence a little confused. Also always wondered why Marino went endzone right before stoyonovich's miss. Awful second half to a game
my memory is only good because some scars never fade!

Interesting fact number 432: The Dolphins (in 94) were the closest any team has ever come to hosting a home Super Bowl...

I could never understand why Shula refused to fire Tom Olivadooti. That terrible DC robbed Dan Marino of at least two Super bowl rings.

Back
Top Bottom