1st Day of Free Agency Review | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st Day of Free Agency Review

You are correct. GRYPHONK is confused and didn't understand it.

Thanks for taking the time as well as others trying to explain it to me.
You aren't alone in not understanding it totally. I rely on the so called experts. I do know one thing, most teams do this. I'm not talking about the Saints who have pushed things out since I can remember. But teams with a lot of good players go through this. Good players cost cap space.

I would still draft jpj if he is available.
He’d be an excellent pick. It’s easy to project his trajectory, he’s going to be a nasty anchor for someone. Probably the Steelers unfortunately. Grier would likely grab a tackle, wr, or edge rusher over that position unfortunately. I understand the logic, but I do love JPJ, he’s the kind of player that changes u from a finesse team to a team that can run the ball down anyone’s throat on the road in January if he ends up being what we project him to be

I agree that in order to get the best Smith or Berrios for that matter, you actually have to use them.....if we go to Hill and Waddle on every play then why even have a TE?......might as well play 6 OL guys all game long
Exactly. The 49ers run a lot of 12 personnel, and McDaniel would like to, but we couldn’t really pass much out of it last year, this pick changes that when we have two tight ends on the field. ;)

So you can see Ramsey has a void hit of $18,468,000 in 2026 now due to the restructure. Not a fan of it at all as I doubt the Dolphins will want to extend him after the 2025 season which means they will basically be eating that as a dead cap hit.

The Vikings have a $28M hit from Cousins for this season due to them not getting the extension done and him leaving.

The most hilarious one I've seen so far is the Eagles with the Hurts contract. He has a cap hit of $97M in 2029 which is the first void year. I wonder what they are actually going to do with his contract, they are either geniuses or the next Saints.
Think that’s bad? The broncos have $85 million in dead cap hit money from Russell Wilson.

Gryphonk, you rock , don’t sweat it. You are one of the most positive and genuine posters we have on the site. It’s all good…

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I may be stubborn and confrontational at times, but I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, or in this instance ignorant of certain things.

But thanks. Much appreciated.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I may be stubborn and confrontational at times, but I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, or in this instance ignorant of certain things.

But thanks. Much appreciated.
The same can be said of many of us, not all can admit we don’t know something or when we’re wrong…

Great writeup! Let's see how this plays out. A couple of good moves that I like. A promising young center in Brewer and Brooks who, I agree, should be an upgrade over Baker. Smith, at tight end, also should help in the passing game.

Have to question, though, if you'd rather have Chubbs than Wilkins or Ramsey than Wilkins. Plus the draft picks. I think those are questionable trades.

I think the smart teams find a way to keep players like Wilkins. Team leader, never missed a game, really the heart and soul of the defense. I think he's harder to replace than Dolphins fans think. I do hope I'm wrong there.

The Dolphins for worse today. Can not be a homer and try and spin it. Another year without a playoff win incoming.

Perhaps, but the season doesn’t start tomorrow. Considering all of the injuries we had last year, and other factors, it is very realistic we could have more success this season. I get the whole “battered wife” syndrome that many Dolphins fans have, having supported a perpetually losing or mediocre team for two decades, but this will be a fun team to watch again next year. I promise you, they will get all of our expectations up…again. Hopefully, they’ll have more success.

That’s not being a homer, that’s just having a grasp and probably different perspective of the big picture. Players come and players go. We have a super talented core, and that’s a big deal. We have a lot of work to do yet, not all of it personnel by the way. McDaniel has some real work to do on his scheme, Tua has work to do on certain things, and the FO has to plug all of these holes and really address the Oline this year, which considering all of the injuries last year, shouldn’t be difficult to show noticeable gains in terms of improvement.

Great writeup! Let's see how this plays out. A couple of good moves that I like. A promising young center in Brewer and Brooks who, I agree, should be an upgrade over Baker. Smith, at tight end, also should help in the passing game.

Have to question, though, if you'd rather have Chubbs than Wilkins or Ramsey than Wilkins. Plus the draft picks. I think those are questionable trades.

I think the smart teams find a way to keep players like Wilkins. Team leader, never missed a game, really the heart and soul of the defense. I think he's harder to replace than Dolphins fans think. I do hope I'm wrong there.

That’s an interesting question.

To answer it properly, I think we have to add some more players. Let’s add Robert Hunt, and Andrew Van Ginkel.

I’d rather have Chubb and Ramsay and Armstead and Tyreek Hill, and here’s why:

1. Those 4 players are all premium positions. Elite Edge, Elite Cornerback, Elite Offensive Tackle (albeit with injuries), and the most elite playmaker in the entire game.

Vs

Christian Wilkins He had one season, the last one with9 sacks. That’s going to be challenging for him to maintain. He got a lot of those during a rotation that included Chubb (11 Sacks), Sieler (10 Sacks), Wilkins (9 sacks), Phillips (6.5 Sacks), Van Ginkel (6 Sacks), and even Ogbah had 5 Sacks. What can be gleaned from this?

1. Zack Sieler had 1 more sack than he did and costs 1/3 the price.
2. The edge players are more likely than not to have multiple years where they have 10 sacks or more. Phillips was looking like a beast before he got hurt first.
3. The Baltimore ravens spent $18 million last year on their entire defensive line.

Wilkins is good, but he’s not the heart and soul of anything. He’s a freakishly athletic fat guy with a good personality. Is he one of the top 5 offensive tackles in the league? Yes. Is he worth $22 million per year (guaranteed money only)? Hell ****ing no. He’s just not. Let’s compare him to the top Defensive Tackles in the league from when he came into the league in 2019:

1. Aaron Donald 51.5 Sacks from 2019-2023
2. Chris Jones 51.5 Sacks same period
3. Quinen Williams 32.5
4. Christin Wilkins 20.5

With the exception of the first two on that list, it is a poor investment to put that much cap space on that position, even for a player that is as good as Christian Wilkins.

I can make a similar argument for Robert Hunt.

meanwhile, you can’t just ask if I’d rather have Chubb, no no Contraire, we signed and traded for Chubb, Ramsey, and Tyreek hill (in trades), plus the big money contract of Armstead. All of those were factors in us not being able to sign the players we lost.

Plus the players we need to sign or extend in their place that are a higher priority such as Phillips, Waddle, and Jevon Holland, and Tua. All of those are the actual foundational pieces of this team now.

I wish Wilkins and Hunt all the best, they are great players, and they earned their bags, but we have got some great players in their place.

As for draft picks? It’s a crap shoot vs the certainty of what we got in those 4 players I mentioned, and we will get compensatory picks next year (two 3rds) for Hunt and Wilkins. We are going to be just fine…

Having said all of that, Van Ginkel is a real kick in the nuts. Wish we could’ve kept him so. Badly.

WTF re the offensive line we need more help!!!! Interesting they did about 3-4 guys at LB, and just 1 for the OL so far

That’s an interesting question.

To answer it properly, I think we have to add some more players. Let’s add Robert Hunt, and Andrew Van Ginkel.

I’d rather have Chubb and Ramsay and Armstead and Tyreek Hill, and here’s why:

1. Those 4 players are all premium positions. Elite Edge, Elite Cornerback, Elite Offensive Tackle (albeit with injuries), and the most elite playmaker in the entire game.

Vs

Christian Wilkins He had one season, the last one with9 sacks. That’s going to be challenging for him to maintain. He got a lot of those during a rotation that included Chubb (11 Sacks), Sieler (10 Sacks), Wilkins (9 sacks), Phillips (6.5 Sacks), Van Ginkel (6 Sacks), and even Ogbah had 5 Sacks. What can be gleaned from this?

1. Zack Sieler had 1 more sack than he did and costs 1/3 the price.
2. The edge players are more likely than not to have multiple years where they have 10 sacks or more. Phillips was looking like a beast before he got hurt first.
3. The Baltimore ravens spent $18 million last year on their entire defensive line.

Wilkins is good, but he’s not the heart and soul of anything. He’s a freakishly athletic fat guy with a good personality. Is he one of the top 5 offensive tackles in the league? Yes. Is he worth $22 million per year (guaranteed money only)? Hell ****ing no. He’s just not. Let’s compare him to the top Defensive Tackles in the league from when he came into the league in 2019:

1. Aaron Donald 51.5 Sacks from 2019-2023
2. Chris Jones 51.5 Sacks same period
3. Quinen Williams 32.5
4. Christin Wilkins 20.5

With the exception of the first two on that list, it is a poor investment to put that much cap space on that position, even for a player that is as good as Christian Wilkins.

I can make a similar argument for Robert Hunt.

meanwhile, you can’t just ask if I’d rather have Chubb, no no Contraire, we signed and traded for Chubb, Ramsey, and Tyreek hill (in trades), plus the big money contract of Armstead. All of those were factors in us not being able to sign the players we lost.

Plus the players we need to sign or extend in their place that are a higher priority such as Phillips, Waddle, and Jevon Holland, and Tua. All of those are the actual foundational pieces of this team now.

I wish Wilkins and Hunt all the best, they are great players, and they earned their bags, but we have got some great players in their place.

As for draft picks? It’s a crap shoot vs the certainty of what we got in those 4 players I mentioned, and we will get compensatory picks next year (two 3rds) for Hunt and Wilkins. We are going to be just fine…

Having said all of that, Van Ginkel is a real kick in the nuts. Wish we could’ve kept him so. Badly.
All solid points. It will take away some of the sting, if Miami can keep the players you mentioned like Phillips, Waddle and Holland.

And, of course, maybe a draft pick pans out at DT and makes Grier look like an absolute genius. I'm certainly not discounting that the offseason has just begun with moves still to be made.

Still, KC kept Jones and Baltimore just paid their DT big bucks. Those are two teams that make good decisions.

Last edited:
WTF re the offensive line we need more help!!!! Interesting they did about 3-4 guys at LB, and just 1 for the OL so far
Take a deep breath. Free Agency and the draft aren’t over yet.

Back
Top Bottom