1st Day of Free Agency Review | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st Day of Free Agency Review

All solid points. It will take away some of the sting, if Miami can keep the players you mentioned like Phillips, Waddle and Holland.

And, of course, maybe a draft pick pans out at DT and makes 8Grier look like an absolute genius. I'm certainly not discounting that the offseason has just begun with moves still to be made.

Still, KC kept Jones and Baltimore just paid their DT big bucks. Those are two teams that make good decisions.
Jones had 51.5 Saks in the same period that Wilkins had 21. I mean, of course they did. As good as Wilkins is, he’s not in Jones’s class. Baltimore’s Nose Tackle is exactly the kind of player that I would rather have than Wilkins. A 355 pounder who eats up blocks and running backs in the middle of the field so your edge guys can fly around and make plays and so Derick Henry can’t run it down your throat. It’s all good, you’ll see…

My response to that is it isn't a matter of designed usage.

When your QB has to make his decision at the snap, then get rid of it as soon as his back foot hits the third step, it is what it is.

Put all the TEs and Slots on the field you want, but if the QB only has 2 seconds, it isn't going to make one iota of difference.

Better off investing in a competent line than JAG skills at this juncture, IMO.

Don't misunderstand, I like the acquisition of Smith. The price was good. I just think some are overstating his likely impact, as well as his actual skill level, relative to what I consider top TEs

OTOH, could have made Berrios or Smythe the 1st in progression. Focus was on TH/Waddle. That said, I don't expect much emphasis on receivers in FA/draft. OL is priority, although the not the crisis it was a week ago.

OTOH, could have made Berrios or Smythe the 1st in progression. Focus was on TH/Waddle. That said, I don't expect much emphasis on receivers in FA/draft. OL is priority, although the not the crisis it was a week ago.
It’s more likely they will draft an offensive Tackle, Edge Rusher, and or possible nose tackle/Defensive tackle with the first two picks, but WR is also in play there, you better believe it.

How can you pass on Brian Thomas Jr. from LSU if he’s sitting there without even giving it a thought? 6’3, runs a 4.3, excellent hands. I wouldn’t complain about that. You would improve the passing game significantly if you drafted him, get Ezukama back healthy and he continues to ascend, and then the Tight end we just signed? Oh baby, I dunno that I would dismiss that idea so easily. You can always take a really good olineman with your second round pick and sign another solid free agent guard.

Last edited:
Berrios was easily jammed at the line, throwing off the required timing. He got no separation even when matched up against slower LBers. That's why you saw so much motion and shifting by TH and JW, so guys couldn't reroute at the LOS.

Smythe was, often by necessity, kept in to protect or at least "chip" on his way into routes.

Neither are great options for a primary read.

Berrios was easily jammed at the line, throwing off the required timing. He got no separation even when matched up against slower LBers. That's why you saw so much motion and shifting by TH and JW, so guys couldn't reroute at the LOS.

Smythe was, often by necessity, kept in to protect or at least "chip" on his way into routes.

Neither are great options for a primary read.

First, I SHOULD HAVE said 'make anyone other than TH/Waddle 1st read.' Often, on TT's pass, there were 2-3 receivers open, but not enough time for a progression. I just didn't like the near obsession with TH/Waddle as 1st, and often 2nd, read.

Jones had 51.5 Saks in the same period that Wilkins had 21. I mean, of course they did. As good as Wilkins is, he’s not in Jones’s class. Baltimore’s Nose Tackle is exactly the kind of player that I would rather have than Wilkins. A 355 pounder who eats up blocks and running backs in the middle of the field so your edge guys can fly around and make plays and so Derick Henry can’t run it down your throat. It’s all good, you’ll see…
Fair, but I think KC and Baltimore would have kept Wilkins if he was drafted by their teams.

I realize it's a moot point. Wilkins is gone and how Miami replaces him is now the narrative.

I'm definitely okay with not paying Hunt.

It’s more likely they will draft an offensive Tackle, Edge Rusher, and or possible nose tackle/Defensive tackle with the first two picks, but WR is also in play there, you better believe it.

How can you pass on Brian Thomas Jr. from LSU if he’s sitting there without even giving it a thought? 6’3, runs a 4.3, excellent hands. I wouldn’t complain about that. You would improve the passing game significantly if you drafted him, get Ezukama back healthy and he continues to ascend, and then the Tight end we just signed? Oh baby, I dunno that I would dismiss that idea so easily. You can always take a really good olineman with your second round pick and sign another solid free agent guard.

We may disagree over 'emphasis.' That doesn't mean 'to the exclusion of.' I think Mcd will go into the draft emphasizing OL/DT/Edge, but the board and who's available will determine the actual pick. This is particularly true with the signing of a capable OC who can play anywhere in the interior, the resigning of RH, and, I hope, the resigning of Wynn. As I said, OL is no longer the crisis it was a few days ago.
Nonetheless, I don't think WR is the 1st/2nd priority unless a 'gimme' is available.

Fair, but I think KC and Baltimore would have kept Wilkins if he was drafted by their teams.

I realize it's a moot point. Wilkins is gone and how Miami replaces him is now the narrative.

I'm definitely okay with not paying Hunt.
Oh of course they would’ve. We could’ve too if we had chosen or were capable of implementing the Baltimore approach. Baltimore drafts well and builds through the draft and solid free agent signings. We made three expensive high profile trades in two years plus signed Terron Armstead. They are all good players in Hill, Ramsey, Chubb, and Armstead, but when u do it that way, it’s not conducive to being able to keep all of your best players.

They draft and develop better than any team in the trenches, and they keep their players. Totally different model than what we did. We did a win now model. Rams won a Super Bowl with that model so it’s possible for short term success, but the ravens are different than that. Much easier to manage the cap when u do it that way. But Ozzy Newsome is one of the best to ever do it.

We may disagree over 'emphasis.' That doesn't mean 'to the exclusion of.' I think Mcd will go into the draft emphasizing OL/DT/Edge, but the board and who's available will determine the actual pick. This is particularly true with the signing of a capable OC who can play anywhere in the interior, the resigning of RH, and, I hope, the resigning of Wynn. As I said, OL is no longer the crisis it was a few days ago.
Nonetheless, I don't think WR is the 1st/2nd priority unless a 'gimme' is available.
I would put the odds by position in this order depending upon availability for our first two picks

OT, Edge, WR, and then Dtackle.

I base that on my assessment of what McDaniel might think he could do with another elite wr to add to waddle, reek, Ezukama potentially, our new tight end, and the the new WR.

It’s not a crazy possibility depending upon who’s available and what else happens in free agency with the idea of WR being the third possibility position wise just based on where the strength of this draft is and it’s a premium position, valued more than even Jose tackle, especially to McDaniel who absolutely cannot have his offense collapse at the end of the season again, and Tua hat to be set up to succeed even more after the exposure to their necks after the new contract they are about to give him.

There is a real ossibilty. But also, you could see them taking one of the other premium positions and possibly a tackle. I wouldn’t mind seeing sweat be our second round pick, that would be interesting.

Last edited:
I'd put the likelihood as OT, WR (tall only), CB, Edge (especially if it was a hand down DE) in the first.

I still don't see taking another DT when they've become hard to resign if you get a top 10 guy... but this is mostly a theoretical POV. I just don't like the bang for the buck unless you are getting a 12 sack guy... and I'm not sure that any of this year's crop qualifies.

I'm going to stick to the expensive position doctrine.

I'd put the likelihood as OT, WR (tall only), CB, Edge (especially if it was a hand down DE) in the first.

I still don't see taking another DT when they've become hard to resign if you get a top 10 guy... but this is mostly a theoretical POV. I just don't like the bang for the buck unless you are getting a 12 sack guy... and I'm not sure that any of this year's crop qualifies.

I'm going to stick to the expensive position doctrine.
Not crazy. I disagree with corner though, although it’s not the craziest idea, just based on BPA at those first two picks and the strength of this draft. They will likely sign a veteran to add to Ramsey, Kohou, Needham, smith, Bonner, etc

BTW...

If we make all of our draft picks without doing any trading, it will cost about 7.5m to sign them according to salary rules.

Leaving us a bit over 10m of the Hoard money to sign street FAs.

Not crazy. I disagree with corner though, although it’s not the craziest idea, just based on BPA at those first two picks and the strength of this draft. They will likely sign a veteran to add to Ramsey, Kohou, Needham, smith, Bonner, etc
My list was just a predictive one, based upon the book.

My PREFERENCE would be OT, OT, OT... tall WR... then top 10 player that has dropped.

I'm really not looking for a CB, but a really good one may fall.

My list was just a predictive one, based upon the book.

My PREFERENCE would be OT, OT, OT... tall WR... then top 10 player that has dropped.

I'm really not looking for a CB, but a really good one may fall.
Agreed, mine is predictive as well. At 21 there will likely be higher rated players at wr, OT, edge. And at 50 as well. Not a strong crop of corners this year. Plus, we just drafted cam smith who’s practically a rookie in that we really don’t know what we have in him because he got no playing time that was meaningful. They will want more certainty playing across from Ramsey IMHO. It’s possible, but unlikely is my assessment.

If you want to make a friendly wager I’d be down?

Now that Armstead is sure to return for a final year, I do think we could take a shot on BPA if....

If we really like one of the second tier OTs. For instance, if we just LOVE the Yale kid's athletic profile and want to give him a year in the system... we could probably survive a year of Kion Smith as our true backup.

But if we don't have one (or better yet TWO longshots at OT), then I'm just going to take the highest Tackle on our list.

This will come down to how the team feels about the second tier guys.

Back
Top Bottom