20 years still can’t build an O- Line. | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

20 years still can’t build an O- Line.

Its not a check down in the receiver is open as your stats indicate, that is just called throwing to the open man.
Let me give you an example to illustrate my point.

What if the defense is playing soft cover and always give you a free shot at the drop off? Always an easy throw, always short but gains a steady 6 yards.
What if you still try to get chunks on that defense? Harder throw, longer throws, but gains a less steady 8 yards.

A good passing game is about finding the perfect balance between safe and hard for the players you have.

Mahomes, Rodgers and Wilson last season had an AGG% of 11%. Meaning only one throw out of 10 was made to a receiver with a defender within one yard, which is similar to Mac Jones throws this week. Difference is, the top guys were throwing the ball ~8.5 yards deep on average, 2+ full yards deeper than Jones per target.

When you're bottom of the league in both AGG% and IAY(intended air yards), YES! Check down Charlie definitely applies.

Be prepared.
Heh, yeah, even I think he is miscast as a LG. Like Robert Hunt, I see Solomon Kindley as an RG all day long. Lateral agility and length aren't his fortes. He is a power pig type guard ... but we have a lot of RG's on this team and no real LG. I thought Deiter would land at LG, but he seems to have found a home at C. Eichenberg is versatile, and could play there, but I think he's being groomed to be our RT, so he can protect Tua's blindside. With Austin Jackson and him forming a bookend of tackles, our OL looks to be solid for the foreseeable future. If Hunt and/or Kindley work out, that's almost all of our OL sorted. Let's see how Deiter performs, but he has a chance to finish that OL.

Last year, Dolphins lost by 11 pts to a worse Patriots team with a worse QB.
This year, we scored more points and we killed over 3 minutes of clock by getting 3 first downs, deep in our own end, and had a V Formation party.
Ending a game like that is almost more impressive than hitting a couple bomb TD passes. It's running when the D knows youre running, or passing when an incomplete pass kills you. It's 'nut-crunching'. Big Boy, 'wear the pants' football and Tua and the Dolphins O did it. Im Super proud of what they did.
How good is Tua?
He led THAT drive and That was a Mofo'n Drive!

Last year, Dolphins lost by 11 pts to a worse Patriots team with a worse QB.
This year, we scored more points and we killed over 3 minutes of clock by getting 3 first downs, deep in our own end, and had a V Formation party.
Ending a game like that is almost more impressive than hitting a couple bomb TD passes. It's running when the D knows youre running, or passing when an incomplete pass kills you. It's 'nut-crunching'. Big Boy, 'wear the pants' football and Tua and the Dolphins O did it. Im Super proud of what they did.
How good is Tua?
He led THAT drive and That was a Mofo'n Drive!
Patriots are slowly becoming less and less of a problem for Miami. They're old news. Our only concern is Buffalo in the East

See thats the thing, you cant trust a persons twitter account to be clear and straight foward. You just cant... Especially when it wont even make an attempt to point you to where they got that info... I mean, you had to google it and all you found was a vague article from 2013.

re-read this post:

I will explain exactly what that means in words and where to find every single one of those stats.

Mac Jones on Sunday threw the ball as close to the LOS as possible at a bottom 7 rate to wide open receivers at a bottom 10 rate. Least of the least difficult throws.
Tua Tagovailoa on Sunday threw the ball as further away fom the LOS at a top 7 rate to covered WRs at a top 4 rate. Hardest of the hardest dificult throws.

Mac Jones yards per passing attempts: 7.2
Tua Tagovailoa yards per passing attempts: 7.5

You can find these stats and much more at:

If you're going to accept the tweet you posted as fact, and ignore this post. Your ego is getting in the way. Simple as that.
That’s how I saw it - Mac n Cheese was throwing short all day. He did not take a single shot at a big play down the field while Tua hit at least 2 (Waffle and Parker) and both of those factors played a role in the outcome.

If its because our HB fumbles twice i wouldn't blame Tua. NE should have had 6 more points minimum and losing them had nothing to do with Mac.
At the same time the roughing the passer call gave them a 4-7 point swing. That was a bad call as Mac was already turning away and going into fetal position.

That’s how I saw it - Mac n Cheese was throwing short all day. He did not take a single shot at a big play down the field while Tua hit at least 2 (Waffle and Parker) and both of those factors played a role in the outcome.
Mac did throw some darts downfield, but he wasnt "under duress" on those, and they were few and far between, as shown by his average air yards figure(which was bottom of the league).

Let me give you an example to illustrate my point.

What if the defense is playing soft cover and always give you a free shot at the drop off? Always an easy throw, always short but gains a steady 6 yards.
What if you still try to get chunks on that defense? Harder throw, longer throws, but gains a less steady 8 yards.

A good passing game is about finding the perfect balance between safe and hard for the players you have.

Mahomes, Rodgers and Wilson last season had an AGG% of 11%. Meaning only one throw out of 10 was made to a receiver with a defender within one yard, which is similar to Mac Jones throws this week. Difference is, the top guys were throwing the ball ~8.5 yards deep on average, 2+ full yards deeper than Jones per target.

When you're bottom of the league in both AGG% and IAY(intended air yards), YES! Check down Charlie definitely applies.

You're talking about an offensive system that revolves around short throws though along with the fact we have a great secondary that was obviously trying to take away deeper routes.

What Mac did was enough to win the game if not for a fumble, not even counting the first one. If that 6 yards is keeping drives alive consistently and I'm only losing because of fumbles lost by my HB....the checkdown was the right call every time.

You're talking about an offensive system that revolves around short throws though along with the fact we have a great secondary that was obviously trying to take away deeper routes.

What Mac did was enough to win the game if not for a fumble, not even counting the first one. If that 6 yards is keeping drives alive consistently and I'm only losing because of fumbles lost by my HB....the checkdown was the right call every time.
The 16 points they scored was only good enough to win an NFL football game once every blue moon. How many games do you think NE wins this season if they end the year with 16 PPG at home? Was it Mac Jones being checkdown Charlie? Was it their actual strategy? Who the hell knows... But I'll tell you this, you dont win football games by being bottom of the league at throwing to wide open checkdowns.

This 8 for 12 crap trying to bump Mac Jones status is laughable as most of those throws were actual screens where the offense is actually ecouraging pressure. I mean you go and look at Nextgenstats and come back to me with an offense that was scoring points top half of the league who were going about things this way. At some point, you have to target deeper parts of the field.

And Im not saying you did, but alot of people complained about Tua taking the easy dump of instead trying to throw downfield. The names checkdown Charlie and the expression Tua has to learn about NFL open didnt fall out of the sky... These threads went for months. I think its really ironic to see these same people all over Mac's balls for doing the same thing, simply because he got to throw so many passes that he got to 281.

The 16 points they scored was only good enough to win an NFL football game once every blue moon. How many games do you think NE wins this season if they end the year with 16 PPG at home? Was it Mac Jones being checkdown Charlie? Was it their actual strategy? Who the hell knows... But I'll tell you this, you dont win football games by being bottom of the league at throwing to wide open checkdowns.

This 8 for 12 crap trying to bump Mac Jones status is laughable as most of those throws were actual screens where the offense is actually ecouraging pressure. I mean you go and look at Nextgenstats and come back to me with an offense that was scoring points top half of the league who were going about things this way. At some point, you have to target deeper parts of the field.

And Im not saying you did, but alot of people complained about Tua taking the easy dump of instead trying to throw downfield. The names checkdown Charlie and the expression Tua has to learn about NFL open didnt fall out of the sky... These threads went for months. I think its really ironic to see these same people all over Mac's balls for doing the same thing, simply because he got to throw so many passes that he got to 281.

It was only 16 points due to things out of his control though. It could have easily been anywhere from 19 minimum, still not great, to 30 maximum.

BTW I don't think he's a good prospect. I'm only saying for that game what he did was correct.

It was only 16 points due to things out of his control though. It could have easily been anywhere from 19 minimum, still not great, to 30 maximum.

BTW I don't think he's a good prospect. I'm only saying for that game what he did was correct.
The Pats completely destroyed the Fins in TOP... The Pats had the ball as long as any team could wish. If we're going to blame the lost fumbles, then we also have to admit he got lucky when he was completely lost and threw a pass towards is own end zone which was rightly called a fumble. You simply just cant say what he did in that game was correct and turn around and say Tua's rookie season was putrid... There's simply no amount of mental gymnatics that will make this work.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone here but some of the thoughts on how the line did, or how bad it did, are just, well I'll put it nicely, overblown. Could the line be better? Absolutely! Were they horrible, no!

After reading most of these posts since the game, many are using terms like horrible, awful, Tua ran for his life. Sorry but this is overblown imo. I taped the game and have gone thru it a couple times. (home with a slipped disc) First time keying on Eich, the second time watching all passing plays for the Phins and Pats. Tua was pressured 5 times, ran for his life twice, and was sacked twice....... He had clean pockets 17 times.

Again can the line be better? Absolutely! Was it horrible? Not in my opinion

BTW, Mack Jones was pressured 17 times ran for his life once, and sacked sacked twice, including the Roberts penalty. Should not have been!:-) :)
Don't you know already? Every other player on the team is fair game for criticism except one.

This is the same thing people were saying to start last year. Then we role out a 10-6 record. Still a lot of new faces and role changes. The O line is half the offense. It's gonna take time and we have all seen improvement every year.

I wouldn't spout the doom and gloom yet. It's a lot if young guys who have only been in The league a 1-2 years and eich rookie. We are fine
I think next year will be our year, WITH Tua as our QB, but if people think that hanging their hats on eeking out wins when we should've lost and being handed victories when we were thoroughly outplayed and statistically dominated will equate to many playoff wins, they are delusional.

He was an All Pro player twice 2nd team in 2009 and 1st team in 2010 in his 2nd and 3rd year. How is that far from dominant?
Wow. That's Awesome for a #1 overall pick. Jake Long is by far the worst #1 overall pick since he was picked in 2008. Only maybe Sam Bradford can be in the conversation.

It was a terrible pick.

Back
Top Bottom