"2002 Griese Breakdown" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"2002 Griese Breakdown"

CRAZYDOLFAN305

We Are Still Going To The SB
Reaction score
A good read from some guy in PA..

2002 Griese Breakdown

TO EVERYONE OUT THERE THAT QUESTIONS BRIAN GRIESE'S TALENT, HEART OR ABILITY TO WIN

A game by game explination of why the Denver media (who were soon followed by the fans) chose to use him as a scapegoat in order to justify one of the most disappointing and tough seasons in NFL history. I watched almost every Denver game last season (I'm in Philly so I missed 2 or 3) and it was one of the roughest seasons in NFL history. 4 Denver losses by a combined 14 points. However, it was NOT Griese's fault. He more than provided for his team and had it not been for an overrated coach who believes himself to be God's gift to football and a talented but very undiciplined defense, this team would have been super bowl contenders.
Onward...

* Means that this was a game that Griese did not play in because of injury.

Game 1: 1-0 Denver 23, St. Louis 16
In Post-Elwayism at its finest, despite it being the FIRST game of the season, and playing against the Super Bowl favorites, the Broncos find it fit to put Griese's play into question and talks of benching him arise. (Really, Denver wanted him to succeed from day one....) Griese, however, overcomes it and leads the Broncos on a game winning drive.

Game 2: 2-0 Denver 24, San Fransisco 16
Behind a terrific running and defensive performance, Griese does goes 14 for 19 for 2 TD 0 INT.

Game 3: 3-0 Denver 28, Buffalo 23
Portis beings to breakout, and we see a more offensive Denver performance. Griese comes up big towards the end of the game and puts up a 19-31, 2 TD 0 INT game. The Broncos are now considered among the Super Bowl favorites.

Game 4: 3-1 Baltimore 34, Denver 23
Griese has a poor game, despite putting up 328 yards. A large portion of blame however, lies on punter Tom Rouen. A 28 yard punt and blocked punt lead to 14 Baltimore points and within minutes Denver goes from up 3-0 to down 14-3. Things do not get any better for the Broncos as they lose their first game of the season. Griese throws for 1 TD and 3 INT, although he was forced to play from behind the entire game against a solid defense.

Game 5: 4-1 Denver 26, San Diego 9
Griese outshines division rival Drew Brees and leads the Broncos to an easy victory. No one in Denver is complaining about their quarterback, who has had one poor game, ironically, in the only game against a non-playoff contender. (although Buffalo may be stretching it, they were at the time considered to be playoff bound)

Game 6: 4-2 Miami 24, Denver 22
This is obviously a game you are all familear with, and Griese's second poor game of the season. However, three things must be pointed out. First, Griese shows amazing resiliance after Surtain's touchdown return in leading his team back to a 22-21 lead (He threw for 300+ yards). Second, Al Wilson has a huge chance to put this game away with an interception but he drops the ball. Third, Mike Anderson puts the ball down on the a 3rd and 1 in the 2nd quarter on MIAMI'S 1 YARD LINE!!! One of the finest football games I've ever seen, despite it being a tough Denver loss.

Game 7: 5-2 Denver 37, KC 34 (OT)
This was actually the first Denver game of the year that was not nationally televised, but Griese throws for 376 yards, brings his team back from 14 down late to send it into overtime and then leads his team to the GW FG. One of
the finest quarterback performances of the season, coming just one game after the Miami game.

Game 8: 6-2 Denver 24, New England 16
Griese throws 18-23 and Denver wins against yet another playoff contender. He completely outshines his Michigan rival, Tom Brady (who receives no real guff from the New England media)

MIDWAY POINT OF SEASON UPDATE
Griese has led his team to 6-2 against one of the toughest schedules in the NFL with one heart-breaking loss that could have landed them at 7-1 just as easily.

Game 9: 6-3 Oakland 34, Denver 10
The blame lies almost completely on the Denver defense and Denver coaching staff. Rich Gannon throws 34-38 for 3 TD and 352 yards and Denver does not change up their defense all game (they were dropping back 8 men, all game) Griese does make a costly INT early in the game, one that really changes the tempo, but comes back with solid numbers despite the lashing that the defense is taking. He finishes 34-47 for 293 yards and does not throw another INT.

Game 10: 7-3 Denver 31, Seattle 9
This game was not nationally televised either, but Griese leads them to victory with 194 yards, before getting injured Beurlein comes in to replace him and does a good job of wrapping things up.

UPDATE: BRIAN GRIESE IS INJURED FOR GAMES 11 & 12. Despite the fact that he has led his team to a 7-3 record against one of the most grueling schedules in the NFL (Lets not forget, it could have been 8-2, the only bad losses were the two MNF games against the Ravens and Raiders, Miami was very winnable) the Denver media claims that Beurlein is more worthy of the starting position. Like any human would, Griese must sour on his situation.

*Game 11: 7-4 Indianapolis 23, Denver 20 (OT)
Tough loss, nationally televised and a great game, but Griese didn't play in it so its only included in this summary as to explain why the Denver fans/media may or may not have had an anal disposition in regards to the 2002 football season.

*Game 12: 7-5 San Diego 30, Denver 27 (OT)
Two straight weeks... No Griese... Two straight overtime losses. Griese might not be John Elway but they beat San Diego 26-9 with him at the helm earlier in the year. Now this game was in San Diego but Brian Griese did not play.

Game 13: 7-6 NY Jets 19, Denver 13
Tough game. Griese's first game back and they had a chance to win it on the last drive until his interception deep in Jets territory. Griese's numbers were good for the game, actually better than Pennington's (sans the INT), and he led a terrific drive but made one bad throw towards the end (unfortunately unlike the Miami game he did not get a chance to redeem himself and bring the Broncos back). One must keep in mind that this is his first game back from injury and he performed pretty well considering the Jets were at this point the hottest team in the NFL (think about their wildcard victory)

Game 14: 8-6 Denver 31, Kansas City 24
Griese comes back to form with another fine outing. Going 18-26 for 297 yards and leading Denver to another victory. Griese improves his mark to 8-4 as a starter against some stiff competition.
Wins vs: SL, SF, Buffalo, SD, KC (x2), Seattle, New England
Losses vs: Miami, Oakland, Jets, Baltimore

Game 15: 8-7 Oakland 28, Denver 16
Griese struggles right along with the rest of the team. Two costly INT cement his fate as the city's scapegoat (how quickly the 7-3 start is forgotten) in a season gone horribly wrong (4 losses by a combined 14 pts).

Game 16: 9-7 Denver 37, Arizona 7
He is benched for their final game against Arizona and cast out of Denver for... an 8-5 season as their starter? Poor games against an Oakland team that made Mike Shannahan and Ray Rhodes look like idiots? Play behind an offensive line that, while very efficiant in the rush block, wasn't able to display even the fundamentals of pass blocking? And the defense while performing well, was completely unable to get turnovers.

In the end whats the lesson? Griese is a great quarterback.
If not for those 2 games of injury and a defense that showed signs of brilliance and ineptitude in the same breath this team would have finished in the playoffs and Griese would have been given the praise he deserves. He played a great season, did everything he could and was villainized for 3 bad games in a season? (Oakland x2, Baltimore) I live in Philadelphia, and am an avid Eagles fan, and believe me when I say, McNabb had more than 3 bad games this year. This is not to compare Griese to McNabb, but to show how unfair Griese has been treated. I LIVE IN PHILADELPHIA and I'm criticizing the Denver media. That should speak volumes.

Credit to Funbox

CRAZYDOLFAN305, Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Could I add a little bit? The P/R ratio was just awful in the games Brian lost.

Balt. 24/30 Den. 54/21 In other words, Brian threw more than 2 1/2 times as often as they used the rush.

Mia. 29/22 Den. 46/26 A FG called back on penalty at the end of the half would have meant a win for Denver.

Oak. 38/14 Den. 47/22 Again he more than doubles the rushing attempts.

Indy. 44/39 Den. 24/22 Brian didn't play

SD. 41/38 Den. 39/27 Brian didn't play

Jets. 30/22 Den. 37/29

Then to show his utter disgust at Brian, Shanaham fired him on Xmas Day. That was the same day I decided I was no longer a Bronco fan, after 12 years. I wanted them to win but could deal with the losses. I realize the NFL is a business but when they treat a player with such venom, I want no further link to that team. I guess I am just a Brian Griese fan now.

John Elway used to be my favorite player. Then he decided to diss Brian in public. I could see why. Brian was fast destroying all of John's earliest records. John Elway helped a great deal in the effort to get Brian out of Denver. He thinks JP is the right guy. (Of course. JP won't break any of his records) In the meantime, I have developed a new respect for Dan Marino.

Wow.. Good read on someones outlook on Griese.. I don't care what happened to him in the past... Let's see what he does with Miami this week..

Whoa!! We got one!!

Good post CD.

I remember watching that Miami Denver game last year, and
I remember thinking I wish we had drafted Griese.

He definately played a fine game that day. It was a shame
that someone had to lose that game, I remember thinking that
whoever had the ball last was going to win.

And I am one who is glad to have Griese as the Miami Dolphin QB,
I think we got a steal in Free Agency last year.

Welcome Brian Griese you have a home in Miami!!

Amen brothers. We now have got us a real "NFL Passing Attack." I can just see us starting the game on sunday in a 3 WR set..Norv's O is about the get deadly again..

Nice and I hope Griese does great here but you did leave a few things out. His lack of leadership. His refusal to be a part of the team. Being found passed out in the driveway of a home. Tripping over his dog, causing his injury?
When you blame loses on the punter and failure of the defense to adjust, you could interchange Miami for Denver and Griese for Fiedler and describe the same season.

In the Miami Denver game Brian was rushed the whole game by Taylor etc. Almost every time he dropped back the Fish were all over him. Denvers O-Line lost the game for them. I greatly admire Brian Griese and I very glad he's a Dolphin.

Look I'm 24 yrs. Old and I've acted a fool many times. I can just imagine what I would do if I was a millionnaire. I've seen alot players do worse ala Cris Carter and they bounced back, so who's to say Brian can't ? My Excitement stems from knowing what system his in which in my opinion is the best system any good QB should excel in. Norv is going to help Griese put up some huge numbers and I strongly believe that. Look at it this way, the SD game was just his tune-up. Just like the Lions game was Jay tune-up last year. I expect even more from him this Sunday.

fairbanksb, Did you ever play the game, "Gossip"? The stories about Brian remind me a lot of that game. The stories just get further and further from the truth.

> Nice and I hope Griese does great here but you did leave a few things out. His lack of leadership. <

Lynn deBruin at RMN interviewed Rod S. Eddie Mc. And Shannon S. just before the Ariz game last year, and they all said they wanted Brian. Don't believe everything you hear.

>His refusal to be a part of the team. <

He took a pay cut FOR the team before and was willing to do so again?

>Being found passed out in the driveway of a home.<

Have you ever run down a very steep hill and found you could not stop? TD's drivway is very sttep. Ever been to Colorado? They have MOUNTAINS there. The media decided he had been decked by Trevor Price, but, as Trevor says he wasn't even there, it doesn't seem too likely...

>Tripping over his dog, causing his injury?<

So happy for you that you have never tripped over anything?

>When you blame loses on the punter and failure of the defense to adjust, you could interchange Miami for Denver and Griese for Fiedler and describe the same season<

Denver's D went down in the record book for their atrocious play, drempt up by Rhodes, against the Raiders last year. R.Gannon 34-38-0-352. When did the Miami D allow a QB to go 34-38-0-352?

Meanwhile, Brian was 34-47-1-293. How many times has Fiedler put up those numbers under the same circumstances?

What kind of hype are you selling? Yes, I've been to Colorado. I lived there for 3 years. Don't blame me. Just listen to sports every once in a while. These things were all over the media last year. Not just newspapers but sports shows like ESPN. Some commentators are still talking about it and warning Miami fans not to get to optimistic. Brian Griese had problems with alcohol. Shanahan doesn't get rid of a player just because they don't get along. Get real. Coaches like to keep their jobs. They don't get rid of high quality players for the heck of it.
I hope a pray for the Dolphins sake that all these problems are behind him but don't try and dispute things that are known to almost everybody. Even Broncos fans are warning us about this guy.

Originally posted by Beckyj4
fairbanksb, Did you ever play the game, &quot;Gossip&quot;? The stories about Brian remind me a lot of that game. The stories just get further and further from the truth.

&gt; Nice and I hope Griese does great here but you did leave a few things out. His lack of leadership. &lt;

Lynn deBruin at RMN interviewed Rod S. Eddie Mc. And Shannon S. just before the Ariz game last year, and they all said they wanted Brian. Don't believe everything you hear.

&gt;His refusal to be a part of the team. &lt;

He took a pay cut FOR the team before and was willing to do so again?

&gt;Being found passed out in the driveway of a home.&lt;

Have you ever run down a very steep hill and found you could not stop? TD's drivway is very sttep. Ever been to Colorado? They have MOUNTAINS there. The media decided he had been decked by Trevor Price, but, as Trevor says he wasn't even there, it doesn't seem too likely...

&gt;Tripping over his dog, causing his injury?&lt;

So happy for you that you have never tripped over anything?

&gt;When you blame loses on the punter and failure of the defense to adjust, you could interchange Miami for Denver and Griese for Fiedler and describe the same season&lt;

Denver's D went down in the record book for their atrocious play, drempt up by Rhodes, against the Raiders last year. R.Gannon 34-38-0-352. When did the Miami D allow a QB to go 34-38-0-352?

Meanwhile, Brian was 34-47-1-293. How many times has Fiedler put up those numbers under the same circumstances?

Maybe once or twice..I'm so over it. Fiedler is done. I was his biggest supporter but there's no reason for him not to be excelling in Norv's system. Brian is much, much better, I'm just a little mad it took me so long to realize that..

Originally posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305
We now have got us a real &quot;NFL Passing Attack.&quot;

We do?

Okay...one good half against a bad defense. Sounds Fiedler like.

Second half 7-15-47 yards and a QBR of 54.

Longest pass was 15 yards in th air....rest all 5 yarders. Sounds Fiedler-esque again.

Two long passing attempts, both incomplete...again...sounds Fiedler-esque.

What makes you think that we have a passing attack now?

And don't say that Jay can not do what Brian did in the first half...

I credit our outburst in the first half to both Ds. Our D gave us excellent Fieldposition and their D playd 5 yards off of all receivers the entire 1st half. SD began with a "bend but don't break" defense...so it seemed.

I find it extremly entertaining that suddenly a Fiedler-esque performance by someone else than Jay is being hailed as "we now have a passing attack".

I sure hope you are right because a) I want to win and b) what are we gonna do if Brian is not the QB who will resurect our passing attack

Originally posted by FFiB

We do?

Okay...one good half against a bad defense. Sounds Fiedler like.

Second half 7-15-47 yards and a QBR of 54.

Longest pass was 15 yards in th air....rest all 5 yarders. Sounds Fiedler-esque again.

Two long passing attempts, both incomplete...again...sounds Fiedler-esque.

What makes you think that we have a passing attack now?

And don't say that Jay can not do what Brian did in the first half...

I credit our outburst in the first half to both Ds. Our D gave us excellent Fieldposition and their D playd 5 yards off of all receivers the entire 1st half. SD began with a &quot;bend but don't break&quot; defense...so it seemed.

I find it extremly entertaining that suddenly a Fiedler-esque performance by someone else than Jay is being hailed as &quot;we now have a passing attack&quot;.

I sure hope you are right because a) I want to win and b) what are we gonna do if Brian is not the QB who will resurect our passing attack

Amen.....Let see how Griese does when crossing patterns are not given.Can he actually throw deep ball?How will he handle putting behind mistakes like throwing int?I remeber reading he wasn't good at forgetting mistakes.Let see how he respond before thinking he is the answer at QB.

Most are hoping that Brian Griese is the answer because of the backup QB they have in Fedler.. Miami will not go anywhere with Fiedler at QB and that is why there is excitement at the potential Griese brings.. There is hope for some fans..

Back
Top Bottom