2004, can Miami still compete? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2004, can Miami still compete?

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
No matter what Miami does to improve in the off season, can we still overtake the Colts, Titans, Chiefs or Pats and win the AFC?

Miami, despite whatever reasons are brought up, have not made the playoffs in two years. What makes us think that by getting an offensive linemen or a veteran qb, we will be as good as those teams mentioned above? We were 0-4 against the Colts, Titans and Pats alone this year. I just think we're a bit more optimistic than what reality is telling me.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Gladsadmad
No matter what Miami does to improve in the off season, can we still overtake the Colts, Titans, Chiefs or Pats and win the AFC?

Not with Dave Wannstedt as head coach.

So basically we're only a head coach from being in the Super Bowl? Who would you hire to take us to the promise land?

Miami, despite whatever reasons are brought up, have not made the playoffs in two years. What makes us think that by getting an offensive linemen or a veteran qb, we will be as good as those teams mentioned above? We were 0-4 against the Colts, Titans and Pats alone this year. I just think we're a bit more optimistic than what reality is telling me.

Thoughts?

Its all in how you look at it I guess.

We were a few bad plays (and kicks) away from 13-3. That's not very far down if you ask me.

Any of these positions or any positional coach could be the x-factor that causes some cohesion and chemistry in the team. There's no "black and white" diagram for it.

Thoughts?

It wont be easy by any stretch of the imagination. But parady rules in the NFL. The teams you mentioned might break apart, and others will elevate their talent....all we can do is try. I believe we are trying.

BB

Re: Re: 2004, can Miami still compete?

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

We were a few bad plays (and kicks) away from 13-3. That's not very far down if you ask me.

AND KICKS.....URGH!

That brings me to this point, will Miami (Marino & co.) have the balls to either cut or restructure drastically our over priced million dollar, can't kick in the warm weather, piece of crap kicker? A message needs to go out to this team at some point.

So basically we're only a head coach from being in the Super Bowl? Who would you hire to take us to the promise land?

Well, in my opinion we also need a better starting QB, at least one good WR and at least two good O linemen. Those, however, we can and hopefully will get via FA and the draft. But even with those improvements, I don't think Wanny can outcoach Bill Belichik, which he would HAVE to do for us to beat the Pats and win the AFC East next year.
If I had the power, I would have had us go after Tom Coughlin or, better yet, would have fired Wanny back at the end of 2002 and gone after Bill Parcells.

Thoughts?

Interesting point...but the answer is parity(sp?)

Titans: Should be good as always, but I don't see them improving at all.
Colts: Damn they are gonna be scary again

Chiefs: with Vermeil back, they can finish what they've started--obvious defensive changes will be addressed.

Pats: although I don't see them going 14-2 again, they will have better personnel next year: Colvin and Patten will be back, and they have a ****load of draft picks.

Denver, Baltimore, Miami Jacksonville, Buffalo, NY Jets should all improve.

I guess you have to hope the top teams take a nosedive next season(like Oakland and Pittsburgh did this year)

Re: Re: Re: 2004, can Miami still compete?

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

AND KICKS.....URGH!

That brings me to this point, will Miami (Marino & co.) have the balls to either cut or restructure drastically our over priced million dollar, can't kick in the warm weather, piece of crap kicker? A message needs to go out to this team at some point.

Couldnt agree with you more on Mare...he hasn't earned his paycheck.

Originally posted by Rick 1966

Well, in my opinion we also need a better starting QB, at least one good WR and at least two good O linemen. Those, however, we can and hopefully will get via FA and the draft. But even with those improvements, I don't think Wanny can outcoach Bill Belichik, which he would HAVE to do for us to beat the Pats and win the AFC East next year.
If I had the power, I would have had us go after Tom Coughlin or, better yet, would have fired Wanny back at the end of 2002 and gone after Bill Parcells.

the thing about belechick though is that he needs his offense to make 3rd down conversions. If Weiss is gone, then they will have some probs staying successful at that level IMO. in this age of free agency, the Patriots players will start to demand bigger pay and the whole thing starts all over. the thing in Pats corner is the number one picks that they have had these past few years. dominanat in that reguard.

With the offense that we had this year we are fortunate (or unfortunate) that we went 10-6 this year. If we has done worse we would be in better draft position, yet if we did as bad as say the Chargers then we would be in a rebuild situation.

Depending on the aquisitions we make, we don't know how next year will shape up. Don't forget the Colts, Patsies are not done playing yet and injuries still occur in the post season, and trades and free agency can change a team's complexity.

This question will require some patience until training camps begin to start hedging your bets.

Get Brunell......draft Rivers and sign a few free agent linemen......fire Wanny and hire Romeo Crennel from the Pats and we win the AFC next season.

Tennessee is in salary cap hell, so they will be a few guys short next year. We were a FG away from beating New England, and 15 yds away from going up on the Colts if we had a better LT. Who expected Carolina to go to the NFC Champ? Anyone can make it. KC was 8-8 last year, and yeah they got mugged by Indy. But they were 13-3. It can happen for us

Like the other guy said. . .

We are literally 4 plays away from being a 13-3 team or 12-4. .

If Ricky doesn't knock Wade on his *** during the Colts game Brian very well may hit the OPEN reciever in the endzone to very well win the game. If mare makes atleast one of those kicks in against NE we win. Yadda yadda you all know the rest..

Of course we can compete.

Back
Top Bottom