2004, can Miami still compete? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2004, can Miami still compete?

this is almost too funny. it's as if some of us don't want to realize or see

1) that we had a 10-6 season (better then most teams)
and
2) we were 2 plays away from being 12-4, 3 plays from 13-3

These points have been reiterated time and again yet I still see this fatalistic attitude that we must have sucked or reeked something awful, that our coach sucks (uhh..bellicheck may be better but we should have won one game, and his player's w/the INT etc. finished us off....not him outcoaching DW) that DW needs to go and blah blah blah.

As stated above, and as I've also said before.....we only need (minimum) 2 Oline men and a WR FIRST AND FOREMOST! After that....then a new QB.....then start looking at the rest of the team. Upgrade 3 main spots and we will easily "compete" with anyone (as if we didn't compete with anyone all season and had our a-ses handed to us....give me a break).

I don't think DW is the best thing since cold beer, but he IS NOT the main problem we have. I still challenge ANYONE to show me how DW lost more games then the players did (everytime all I hear is DW has to go, I've asked this the past couple of weeks....no responses as of yet.....). We have talent and DW put our players in a position to win almost every game! Maybe our talent is over-rated.....I just think they're too inconsistent and choose to show up when they feel like.....oh yeah....that's the coach's fault....right...

Last edited by a moderator:
didnt like 8 teams make the playoffs that didnt make it last year or something crazy like that... bottom line is most teams will always have a shot, once you get to the playoffs, anything goes. A lot has to do with scheduling too, the teams in the playoffs this year had ****ty strength of schedules (ours was much tougher than all of theirs and our record was only a couple games off)

Ricky may have been right when he said on espn radio that we have the players to win(even if i do want upgrades at qb and other pos.)

a couple plays go our way and we are 13-3 with the hardest schedule of any team in the playoffs, everyone needs to relax. wannstet didnt kill this team, huizenga didnt kill it, marino/spielman wont kill it... the dolphins are alive and well and will make a legit run again next year.

Hear hear! We have a tough schedule again next year (you'd think we'd won the division) so when we make the playoffs, the team will have certainly earned it.

My main concern (with the exception of the offense improvements I'd like to see) is chemistry. I know I know....its impossible to predict it, but take a quick peek at Carolina and how they've achieved what they've achieved this year....

...their players compliment each other by accountability. They stick to their scheme, they do well. Simple. No big egos bumping heads, no doom and gloom attitudes on the field...always up-beat.

I'd REALLY like to see our team show this (past the first 10 games or so).

HOME
Buffalo Bills
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers
Tennessee Titans
Arizona Cardinals
St. Louis Rams

AWAY
Buffalo Bills
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Denver Broncos
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

i think our schedule next season is actually a little easier, but it depends on who we get in december... if were on the road in some cold climates again it could be a little tough, but if we could get 3 home games in december for once we should be fine.

Originally posted by Gladsadmad
No matter what Miami does to improve in the off season, can we still overtake the Colts, Titans, Chiefs or Pats and win the AFC?

The Miami Dolphins were one Olindo Mare field goal away from making the playoffs. If he makes 1...just 1...of the two that were missed against New England game 1 then we have a completely different story about the 2003 Dolphins.

Once a team makes the playoffs anything can happen. Look at the Carolina Panthers for an example. Did anyone here pick them to get to this point?

Originally posted by Rick 1966

Well, in my opinion we also need a better starting QB, at least one good WR and at least two good O linemen. Those, however, we can and hopefully will get via FA and the draft. But even with those improvements, I don't think Wanny can outcoach Bill Belichik, which he would HAVE to do for us to beat the Pats and win the AFC East next year.
If I had the power, I would have had us go after Tom Coughlin or, better yet, would have fired Wanny back at the end of 2002 and gone after Bill Parcells.

I agree, I felt pretty good about next year until I heard Wannstedt will be the coach again next year. It justs seems like Miami's owner knows nothing about football. I'm still in shock from when they first hired him. I hope I am wrong.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
HOME
Buffalo Bills
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers
Tennessee Titans
Arizona Cardinals
St. Louis Rams

AWAY
Buffalo Bills
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Denver Broncos
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

i think our schedule next season is actually a little easier, but it depends on who we get in december... if were on the road in some cold climates again it could be a little tough, but if we could get 3 home games in december for once we should be fine.

7 games vs. 6 playoff teams from this year....good thing we have the AFC North next year, else it woulda been worse.

4 potentially tough road games (Pats, Ravens, Broncs, Seachickens). I hope we can repay the Titans' treatment in Pro Player ;)

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0

a couple plays go our way and we are 13-3 with the hardest schedule of any team in the playoffs, everyone needs to relax. wannstet didnt kill this team, huizenga didnt kill it, marino/spielman wont kill it... the dolphins are alive and well and will make a legit run again next year.

It's a moot point, but New England still played a tougher schedule. Only different games between Miami and New England is Miami played Baltimore (10-6) and San Diego (4-12). New England played Denver(10-6) and Cleveland(5-11). I'd blame the alignment for not making the playoffs. If you were in AFC North you would've won the division.

Originally posted by tylaw4president

It's a moot point, but New England still played a tougher schedule. Only different games between Miami and New England is Miami played Baltimore (10-6) and San Diego (4-12). New England played Denver(10-6) and Cleveland(5-11). I'd blame the alignment for not making the playoffs. If you were in AFC North you would've won the division.

I wouldn't EVER put it on the alignment. Teams with 10-6 records have missed the playoffs before the alignment...we just didn't win enough.

The Houston game (1st loss, 1st week) put us behind the 8-ball, though it wasn't completely evident until the end of the season. That last loss to the Pats was really the clincher.

those were the only differences? because i read an article somewhere that said the dolphins had the toughest schedule of the teams, and i thought the colts were second... oh well, either way, bottom line is were not in shambles like everyone makes it seem

Actually you're right. I wasn't including the Patriots or Dolphins records, so you'd have a tougher schedule because we were 14-2. But the Cleveland/Baltimore and Denver/San Diego were the differences in the schedule.

One reason I believe we can be just as good or not better than those teams is: Ricky Williams with a better O-line Wr's deep throwing QB we will be right there. That is exactly what KC has got: Holmes good O-line WR's good throwing QB. We could be better than KC because of our defense.

Our defense may not be known as the best but they make some of the best key plays in the league. Look at the first dolphins and bills game this yoear they would get good field position they would be about the score and we would get a int fumble sack that would turn it around the whole game was like that.

I aint saying we will be as good but it could possibly happen.

I agree with KC's line and QB that can throw downfield then Miami could be better than KC. The problem is KC has got such a big strong o-line. I think it'd take a couple years through draft and free agency to get something comparable. Problem is will your defense still be together then? Easier said than done.

i think we'd beat KC right now. Look at how many teams they beat that were above .500......yeah, they got a great record but this year they had an easy schedule. Just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom