2006 HR Derby | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2006 HR Derby

Boik14 said:
Papi is great for the game, i just dont think he'd be as ood without manny or fenway. He wasnt good in minny so i give him credit for making the best of a good situation but idk just something about him i dont like.

As far as manny, id take manny on the basis of his whole career. I mean has he ever played on a losing team? Every year hes a lock for 30-110-310 and thats over a long period of time. And in a big spot the only other player id rather have is D wright and theres some definite homerism involved there :)

I'm sure both Manny and Fenway help him out a lot. He wasn't good in Minny because he was always hurt due to the turf and how the Twins wouldn't let him hit for power (according to him in the SI article a few weeks ago). The Sox have to give Ron Jackson a lot of credit for helping Ortiz realize his potiental.

Wright is a future Hall of Famer already I love the kid. Too bad Omar is in the F.O. maybe the Sox could have traded Kevin Youkilis for him back in 2004.

Roman529 said:
Hope the Mets don't get too cozy with their 12 game lead...the season is only halfway over. :wink:
actually you should hope the mets do get cozy cause thats the only way youre catching them :lol:

Boik14 said:
they arent working on their extensions til at least this offseason. The mets usually make their young guys earn their paycheck cause they know they will have to pay later.

My guess is wrights next contract lands in jeter territory especially if the mets win a ws either this year or next. Reyes will probably not get the contract until he becomes arbitration eligible after next season because hes a little injury prone, and also because at that point glavine comes off the books. Im guessing Reyes will land in the range of 5-6 years and 12-13m per (around tejada territory)

Ah the market is way down since Jeter signed his contract. Wright will get maybe 14 to 15 million a year with Reyes getting 10.

Ray Finkle said:
I'm sure both Manny and Fenway help him out a lot. He wasn't good in Minny because he was always hurt due to the turf and how the Twins wouldn't let him hit for power (according to him in the SI article a few weeks ago). The Sox have to give Ron Jackson a lot of credit for helping Ortiz realize his potiental.

Wright is a future Hall of Famer already I love the kid. Too bad Omar is in the F.O. maybe the Sox could have traded Kevin Youkilis for him back in 2004.
eh ive admittedly had a good feeling about wright since he was in high A ball, cause even though he was struggling power wise then the Ba was there.

Ray Finkle said:
Ah the market is way down since Jeter signed his contract. Wright will get maybe 14 to 15 million a year with Reyes getting 10.
the market is down cause the quality of players since hitting the market was down. Vlad had back issues when he signed his long term deal. The mets or nyy never got serious enough about tejada to drive the price up. Delgado got his, deservedly, and actually could have had more had he taken the 4/60m offer by nym last year instead of 4/52 to play in florida. Sheff got the 3/39m ext a few years back. NYM spent a pretty penny on beltran to the tune of 17.6 average per and the only other guy who deserved a megadeal over that time, pedro, had long term health worries. So whats been out there the last 2 - 3 years hasnt been much but the players who deserved it, got it. The thing is there were no young franchise guys outside of beltran.

believe me when i say that i hope youre right regarding your prediction on reyes and wright, cause that wouldnt be too bad in terms of allowing some payroll flexibility but ive learned everything definitely costs more in NY

Boik14 said:
the market is down cause the quality of players since hitting the market was down. Vlad had back issues when he signed his long term deal. The mets or nyy never got serious enough about tejada to drive the price up. Delgado got his, deservedly, and actually could have had more had he taken the 4/60m offer by nym last year instead of 4/52 to play in florida. Sheff got the 3/39m ext a few years back. NYM spent a pretty penny on beltran to the tune of 17.6 average per and the only other guy who deserved a megadeal over that time, pedro, had long term health worries. So whats been out there the last 2 - 3 years hasnt been much but the players who deserved it, got it. The thing is there were no young franchise guys outside of beltran.

believe me when i say that i hope youre right regarding your prediction on reyes and wright, cause that wouldnt be too bad in terms of allowing some payroll flexibility but ive learned everything definitely costs more in NY

Well let's put it this way right now Wright isn't even making a million bucks right? If he was offered a 5 year contract for 14 million per year he'd be a fool to turn it down. A lot could happen between now and when he becomes a FA.

Ray Finkle said:
Well let's put it this way right now Wright isn't even making a million bucks right? If he was offered a 5 year contract for 14 million per year he'd be a fool to turn it down. A lot could happen between now and when he becomes a FA.
Hes making 330k. And granted a lot can happen but the deal isnt even being looked at until the offseason. The mets wont do anything until 2 years before he gets to arbitration eligibility. Still in the end i think we'll be looking in the range of jeter's deal, maybe 10/170 or so. The front office loves the kid and my guess is they will do everything to lock him up long term

Boik14 said:
Hes making 330k. And granted a lot can happen but the deal isnt even being looked at until the offseason. The mets wont do anything until 2 years before he gets to arbitration eligibility. Still in the end i think we'll be looking in the range of jeter's deal, maybe 10/170 or so. The front office loves the kid and my guess is they will do everything to lock him up long term

Yeah there's a lot to love about him. I know Wright has said he's a little disappointed that the Mets haven't talked long term with him yet but it'll change. He'll get the big bucks very soon.

Ray Finkle said:
Yeah there's a lot to love about him. I know Wright has said he's a little disappointed that the Mets haven't talked long term with him yet but it'll change. He'll get the big bucks very soon.
Oh im sure the mets will take care of him. Honestly, I think if they didnt sign him the PR hit would be worse then anything theyve ever seen. This is a franchise without a single postion player in the HOF, though that could change with Piazza likely to don a mets cap. But still, they have just 1 HOFER with a mets cap, seaver, and though piazza will likely go in a met and maybe one day beltran will get consideration too, they simply would get KILLED in the press for not acting like a big market team since the stadium is due to go up when hes due for his extension.

Back
Top Bottom