2008 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2008 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Thread

mf52dolphin

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I am starting the thread with some strangness.
On top of the right field scoreboard, there is a big ad for the Los Angeles Times. Well with January now done, the same Los Angeles Times, did only four articles on the Angels. Two of the articles were of the Q&A format
Considering they have the stadium ad, that sure is ignoring coverage on a product that can be used to promote itself.:shakeno:

Angels are gonna be a great team this year. I expect a good race with them and the Tigers and Red Sox (and a few others) to represent the AL in the World Series.

GO BLUE

clear.gif

Glad I saw this, I was just thinking of starting this thread up again.

Should be interesting to see how losing OC hurts the infield. Hopefully Aybar/Izturis and eventually Wood can fill in. I loved OC, but we werent going to resign him after this year and Garland adds a lot of depth and experience to our pitching staff. Hopefully he reverts back to the 18 game winner, but either way he's still an innings eater.

I like the Hunter signing, but we overpaid imo. He's a great clubhouse guy, a fun player to watch and has some pop in his bat. Pretty solid defensive outfield with him in center, GMJ in left and Vlad in right. The move also lets us rotate Vlad and Anderson through the DH spot, hopefully keeping them both fresh.

Was kind of a tough offseason coming so close to acquiring the big bat we've needed for years in Miguel Cabrera and falling just short. I thought we made a good offer so I cant place too much blame on Reagans. Sucks he went to he AL, just that much more competition for us now.

Can't wait for the season to start!

I'd also propose this acting as the official AL West thread, it worked out last year I thought. So if mf52 is alright with it I think the mods should change the title to Official 2008 AL West thread, or something to that affect.

Angels overpaid for Hunter but he should improve his stats slotted between Vlad and Anderson. They must be really confident in Ayber/Izturis to trade Orlando Cabrera away like that.

I usually frequent this thread but I'll be VERY quiet this season. you'll hear from me in 2010 when all the kids get older...LOL!

Angels will have the West wrapped up by July.

I was there yesterday upgrading my season seats and wondered why the L.A. Times advertised there instead of at the "Doyers" stadium. Can't wait for the season to start. I was very disappointed in the way they finished last year. One stinkin' playoff home game and they laid down and went to sleep. They had a grip on home field and Scoscia blew it with strange substitutions. Oh well, time for a new season. Go Halos!!!

The shoulder inflammation that forced Kelvim Escobar to miss a start in late September flared up again this winter, and the Angels right-hander, coming off a career year, is expected to open the season on the disabled list.

An MRI test showed no significant changes in the shoulder from last fall, which "was somewhat of a relief," General Manager Tony Reagins said, but Manager Mike Scioscia acknowledged that the rehabilitation program the team has mapped out won't have Escobar ready by the March 31 season opener at Minnesota.

"It's doubtful he'll be ready for the start of the season, but if the strength comes back in the shoulder, he has a good chance to be very strong early in the year and come back and do what he did last year," Scioscia said.

"You can't rush it. There is some weakness in some areas that need to be strengthened, and once they are, [the Angels' medical staff] will feel more comfortable with him throwing."
Damn, hopefully this shoulder thing doesnt linger. Escobar was filthy last season and the Angels desperately need him to be healthy if they have any chance in the playoffs. At least the Angels have 6 competent starters so it shouldnt be too much of a blow if he has to sit a bit.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-spw-angels7feb07,1,5328292.story

Looks about right. Enjoy it while you can AL West because in 2 years the A's will be RIGHT back in it.

Unfortunately, I have no doubt that's true. Beane knows what he's doing, and he knows how to get young talent when he sells off the expensive players.

Back
Top Bottom